Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus, BGG's most controversially popular newish boardgame hit 100 ratings.

While I know I risk a flamewar, I have to ask; Wasn't there a large contingent out there that said it would fall off? That it would never last?
Here it still sits, though, at #2.

I remember the early days of Carcassonne though, and now it sits at #75 (which is still quite respectable). Carc hovered at the top of the charts for a long time, but now with 5700 ratings seems to be rooted at the bottom end of the top 100.

Though I doubt many games will ever hit that sheer volume of ratings, especially "heavier" games like Caylus. Power Grid is in the low 2000's, and Tigris and Euphrates sits in the mid 3000's.

So what does everyone think now? Artifically inflated? or Have the ratings been genuinely reinforced to show a relatively true number? (True number being relative as well, as I'm not trying to argue the semantics of the ratings system itself......actually, I'm not trying to argue anything, I'm just curious).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil v
United States
Richmond (North of Berkeley)
California
flag msg tools
I think it's still very early. It's not the number of games played, so much as durability over time with which I'm concerned. But I guess that by my approach, Go would rank highest due to it's lasting popularity - I doubt people will play PR in a couple millenia.

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ray Mulford and I once had a conversation about Puerto Rico(about two or three years ago). At the time, I said to him that I didn't feel that Puerto Rico deserved to be the #1 rated game. He asked me what I felt should be the number one game at the time, and quite frankly I was stumped. I really had no idea what game emanated to me that it must be "that good". I now delicately balance an issue, I have two games that have that favor to me, Caylus is one, Power Grid the other.

I have a problem, though, in that while I feel both games are (in my not so humble opinion) the best games ever conceived, they are also far too long in play time for many others to consider them deserving, my friend Ray among the dissenters (for Caylus anyways, he seems to enjoy Power Grid).

Perhaps there is a subtlety of subtleties that makes these games the holiest of holies for me, and I clearly understand that not everyone shares my opinion, nor should they. But the reality is, they are outstanding games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Robert, but this can o' worms is starting out as a good discussion.

I apologise to anyone reading this thread if I appeared antagonistic; that was far from my intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
After having played Caylus on just about every sunday since I finally got it in the mail, I should hope I have something to say about it.

I rate it at 9. The game has not gotten old. One of my group is a more casual gamer, who really likes a good amount of luck in his games, and he really digs it. The replay value is excellent, and no two games have played out exactly the same, and the winner of each game usualy doesn't use the same strategy to get to the top.

I may just change my rating to 10 soon, and that would be my first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i just did an advanced search and it appears that of all the games on bgg, only 110 have been rated 1000 or more times. a number of top 20 games are rated less than that. i think a lot of the games that get "hype" ratings could be accused so by virtue of their license (e.g. pokemon), crack nature (e.g. magic), rose-colored glasses worn by their niche market (e.g. twilight imperium), automatic expansion support (e.g. age of steam maps), easy/family play appeal (e.g. ticket to ride), few ratings which don't statistically amount to much...anything.

there are a lot of reasons i could see that people could complain about, but what gimmick is caylus riding? only a handful of people actually attend essen. the game isn't light or short. i don't think it's a looker. it was put out by a little-known company. reiner knizia wasn't anywhere near it. it seems to me like the kind of game that would have to stand up on its own 2 feet. are people honestly going to buy it, learn the rules, spend 3 hours playing it and then lie about liking it?

in many situations, while the suggestion may be misplaced, there are actual "trains" the one could be hopping on in terms of fanboyism. he loves star wars, so he loves epic duels. that sort of thing. everybody talks so much about the hype surrounding caylus, but i can only see the genesis coming from the play of the game because there's no inherited value except that which was bestowed upon it by those that actually played it. as far as hype goes, i think that's as honest of a start as something can get. now the next ystari game, whatever it is...THAT might be overhyped already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people were skeptical of Caylus's astronomical rise to the top because they figured: "how can you KNOW a game is this good after just a couple plays?", "it hasn't stood the test of time".

However, Caylus is just that type of game where you saw right away that it was going to be a great game - the mechanisms were familiar (and brilliant, I might add) but put together in such an innovative way, so that it wasn't just another rehashing of old mechanics (one of the reasons GOA may not have reached those heights).

As far as the test of time, I think with the BSW implementation earlier this month, the game has gotten enough play to prove that it isn't broken or anything of that sort, so it looks like we have a winner! If anything, the complaints about game length are fading away as naturally the playing time decreases with more experience (something people thought was not going to happen).

I like Caylus at #2, because honestly I think it is the next best game after Puerto Rico, which I still think is the best game because of its elegance. I doubt it will drop from this spot unless it is ousted by another new and better game, and in that case I think I'd be happy that such a game existed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Caylus has the quality to justify its place the top 10, and to remain there for a long time.

I don't know if it's better or worse than any of the other top 10 games, because I think that's a matter of personal taste. I for one really enjoy Caylus, E&T and El Grande and only moderatly enjoy PR, Power Grid or Princes of Florence, for instance. But I have no problem recognizing they are all clever and well developed games which deserve their place there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first sentence of all in this thread. 100=1000? right?

Other than, that, well I guess it is self-perpeturating- a lot of those players probably heard about how good it was and bought it and so on, also gamers who have it will want to play it with everyone and so on...
I have held off since my club is getting it...robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Being a proud owner of Caylus, and having played it a few times, I can definitely say that it deserves its rating, or at least close to.

Like a lot of people here, my favourite game is Puerto Rico. Caylus hasn't changed that. And while Caylus isn't rated as my second-favourite game, I can appreciate the elegance of its design that has elevated it to its rank. It has the same brain-burning strategy of all the top games (PR, T&E, etc) with no luck and multiple paths to victory. All that and great bits and pieces to boot.

While I can't see it ever dethroning the king, Caylus is definitely going to be sitting in the top 5 for some time to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.