Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why this Trekkie couldn't get rid of this game fast enough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You may also come upon a hazardous space distortion that traps and sometimes destroys your ship. It just surprises me that sensors weren't implemented to bypass these obstacles. Unfortunately, it's the luck of the turned-over tile, so you never know when you might encounter these. I get that this gives the game a little sense of the unknown, but it's still a little annoying.


That's why you scan (let's you peek) ahead.
16 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
My last complaint is that you can build outposts in nebulas and black holes......:what:


Maybe you should watch, Wrath of Kahn, again.

I am guessing Black holes and Nebulas are in the sector, but don't completely envelope the sector.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:
My last complaint is that you can build outposts in nebulas and black holes......:what:


Maybe you should watch, Wrath of Kahn, again.

I am guessing Black holes and Nebulas are in the sector, but don't completely envelope the sector.


Maybee you should watch Wrath of Khan again. The station was not in a nebula. (But was apparently very close to one.)

Starfleet though seems to have outposts everywhere. Nebula? Black Holes? Stable Wormholes? etc. If its weird they likely have at least a ship nearby to poke it now and then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lowry
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say being a Star Trek fan for over 30 years I completely disagree with you.

From what you posted, I am not sure you read the rules right. You can't build an outpost in a nebula, you can only build an outpost near an inhabitable planet.

This game is very well done and really captures the theme of Star Trek much better than any other ST board game and I have them all.

Try re-reading the rules and give it a few more plays. You might feel differently.
21 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

"However, neither of these complaints compare to the reason why I abhorred this game the most: space battles."

If this was a major problem (it was for me as well...along with virtually everything else) then I'd suggest Federation Commander.

Be warned though: FedCom is a bit on the heavy side. Nothing like it's ancestor Star Fleet Battles but still...

The real shame with 'fleet captain' is they didn't base it around Star Wars.

Then I'd've never been duped into playing in the first place (or I'd've had suitably lower expectations).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May be you played a different game, or its your playstyle, in our games and my group consists of real -in your face- gamers. We have 2-3 battles max. And the encounters-man did you ever get those tribbles on your ship?
I am sorry for you that you couldn't enjoy this themedripping pure Trek awesomeness of a game.
For myself - I can tell you, you are just wrong,...

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only build outposts at habitable planets.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
First off, if this game is supposed to simulate a season of Star Trek,

It is not. That's just the way some people describe it. Could be a week, could be a 5 year mission. Or an ongoing mission. Since game turn length is never defined, time is simply abstracted. It may well be some turns are a week long and some an hour

newkillerstar27 wrote:
I can't for the life of me understand why a ship's hit points are the three levels of alert from the show (no alert/green, yellow, red).

Because if your ship is badly hurt, you probably go to yellow alert? If you're in imminent danger you go to red alert?


newkillerstar27 wrote:
My last complaint is that you can build outposts in nebulas and black holes......


No, as pointed out, you can't. You simply read the rules wrong on that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it seems like a classic case of buying somethng without knowing what you are buying. And I will be honest (and by that I mean direct and crude and probably rude). There are not only plenty of reviews, written and video, about the game, but also the game rules are available to download and even video play throughs. Doing your homework and finding out what you are buying before you spend your money is simple common sense. You did not have it. So the game you bought without knowing what you were buying turned out not to be what in your own mind you made it out to be. Boo hoo hoo.

At least you should have learned to play the game right (both in terms of rules and in terms of tactics) before writing a 'review'. None of the games I have played were primarily focused on combat. Between cycling missions and the ability to complete missions a lot faster with your ships disperced and not in combat configurations, bunching up your ships and going for one big fight is pretty much the way not to play the game.

Here is an example of not even knowing the game's rules before 'reviewing' it:
Quote:
You may also come upon a hazardous space distortion that traps and sometimes destroys your ship. It just surprises me that sensors weren't implemented to bypass these obstacles. Unfortunately, it's the luck of the turned-over tile, so you never know when you might encounter these.
Guess what. There is a scan action that allows you to use the ship's sensors to scan an area of space before you enter it.

So this is not a review, just a whine because a product you bought was not what you wanted it to be.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McGill wrote:
May be you played a different game, or its your playstyle, in our games and my group consists of real -in your face- gamers. We have 2-3 battles max.


Agreed. I usually have a few more fights than that, but fighting isn't the majority of the endgame for us at all. For the OP, it sounds more like a mindset or "groupthink" issue.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:
To me it seems like a classic case of buying somethng without knowing what you are buying. And I will be honest (and by that I mean direct and crude and probably rude). There are not only plenty of reviews, written and video, about the game, but also the game rules are available to download and even video play throughs. Doing your homework and finding out what you are buying before you spend your money is simple common sense. You did not have it. So the game you bought without knowing what you were buying turned out not to be what in your own mind you made it out to be. Boo hoo hoo.

At least you should have learned to play the game right (both in terms of rules and in terms of tactics) before writing a 'review'. None of the games I have played were primarily focused on combat. Between cycling missions and the ability to complete missions a lot faster with your ships disperced and not in combat configurations, bunching up your ships and going for one big fight is pretty much the way not to play the game.

Here is an example of not even knowing the game's rules before 'reviewing' it:
Quote:
You may also come upon a hazardous space distortion that traps and sometimes destroys your ship. It just surprises me that sensors weren't implemented to bypass these obstacles. Unfortunately, it's the luck of the turned-over tile, so you never know when you might encounter these.
Guess what. There is a scan action that allows you to use the ship's sensors to scan an area of space before you enter it.

So this is not a review, just a whine because a product you bought was not what you wanted it to be.


Honestly, he's a new user. Lets welcome him graciously without the slamming. Lets give him a chance to re-read the rules and admit he got a few of them wrong.

Jorune
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Honestly, he's a new user. Lets welcome him graciously without the slamming. Lets give him a chance to re-read the rules and admit he got a few of them wrong.


Hey, at least he came right out and admitted he was going to be 'crude and probably rude'. You do not often find people willing to add disclaimers signifying their own lack of social graces.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the title I assumed the game was long gone and he would have difficulty re-reading the rules. I'm afraid I stopped reading when the OP started misapplying the rules so I didn't see if he still had the game or not.

The last time I played it was solitaire and had no battles as I just dump the Klingons out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Star Trek: Fleet Captains is packed away in preparation for a move, but I'm fairly sure there is a card that will allow construction of an outpost in a sector w/out a habitable planet...but so what? The map is an abstraction, is it so much of a leap to imagine that a sector with a nebula or even a black hole might have a suitable location for an outpost if extraordinary measures (reflected in the card) were taken?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Honestly, he's a new user. Lets welcome him graciously without the slamming. Lets give him a chance to re-read the rules and admit he got a few of them wrong.

Honestly, the fact that he is a new user means one of two things: He signed on just for the purpose of complaining about the game, or he is an old user who did not want to post this under their regular BGG account. In either case when one posts a 'review' they should understand that having played the game at least by the correct rules, and preferably more than once is a common sense requirement. Otherwise it is not a review, it is biased uninformed bashing (or praising if one tends to the opposite direction).

I would have no problem if that post was in General, but it does not belong in the Reviews sectionm, where other users may be looking for informed opinions about the game.

Pete Walsh wrote:
My copy of Star Trek: Fleet Captains is packed away in preparation for a move, but I'm fairly sure there is a card that will allow construction of an outpost in a sector w/out a habitable planet...but so what? The map is an abstraction, is it so much of a leap to imagine that a sector with a nebula or even a black hole might have a suitable location for an outpost if extraordinary measures (reflected in the card) were taken?

I think it is an encounter card that turns into a mission for control of the outpost. But it has been a while since it came up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:


I would have no problem if that post was in General, but it does not belong in the Reviews sectionm, where other users may be looking for informed opinions about the game.


Now this I agree with. I dislike when someone reviews a game where they got the rules wrong. Hopefully the OP will amend the review.

jorune
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
ryolacap wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:
My last complaint is that you can build outposts in nebulas and black holes......:what:


Maybe you should watch, Wrath of Kahn, again.

I am guessing Black holes and Nebulas are in the sector, but don't completely envelope the sector.


Maybee you should watch Wrath of Kahn again. The station was not in a nebula. (But was apparently very close to one.)

Starfleet though seems to have outposts everywhere. Nebula? Black Holes? Stable Wormholes? etc. If its weird they likely have at least a ship nearby to poke it now and then.


Maybe YOU should try reading the post you are quoting. Having a nebula in a sector doesn't necessarily mean the entire sector is a nebula. Exactly like in Wrath of Kahn, KAHHHHN!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How come people can't spell Khan?

Is it a banned word on BGG that needs misspelling to get by the filters?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote from Memory Alpha:

Quote:
Regula I was a Federation scientific research laboratory that was in service in the late 23rd century. It was located in orbit of the Class D planetoid Regula on the edge of the Mutara Nebula.


The Mutara nebula was within the Mutara Sector along with many other star systems. So the space outpost/station was built in orbit around a planetoid.

The location hexes are of different sizes and so the idea of having more than one item being in the hex is entirely plausible unless the rule as in nebula locations over ride the idea.

Shame the OP hasn't posted on this thread since his first post. It would be interesting to see his response as this isn't the only place he has added his grips about the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Maybee you should watch Wrath of Kahn again.


Maybe I should watch Wrath of Khan again.

That was a good movie. Haven't seen it in a while.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone claiming to be a Trek fan that refers to himself as a "Trekkie" is neither.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Anyone claiming to be a Trek fan that refers to himself as a "Trekkie" is neither.



Nah, that's BS.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Anyone claiming to be a Trek fan that refers to himself as a "Trekkie" is neither.



Trekkie is usually considered a derogatory term, you could get away with Trekker at a push, as having less negative connotations.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Pete Walsh wrote:
My copy of Star Trek: Fleet Captains is packed away in preparation for a move, but I'm fairly sure there is a card that will allow construction of an outpost in a sector w/out a habitable planet...but so what?
There is more than one such Encounter, but the Encounter Risk of a Black Hole is 0.

Shemar wrote:
Jorune wrote:
Jorune wrote:
Honestly, he's a new user. Lets welcome him graciously without the slamming. Lets give him a chance to re-read the rules and admit he got a few of them wrong.


Honestly, the fact that he is a new user means one of two things: He signed on just for the purpose of complaining about the game, or he is an old user who did not want to post this under their regular BGG account. In either case when one posts a 'review' they should understand that having played the game at least by the correct rules, and preferably more than once is a common sense requirement. Otherwise it is not a review, it is biased uninformed bashing (or praising if one tends to the opposite direction).


Is that an attempt to justify rudeness?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Maybee you should watch Wrath of Kahn again.


Maybe I should watch Wrath of Khan again.

That was a good movie. Haven't seen it in a while.


Yea I just watched it was pretty good for an older movie. It made me get the new attack wing coming out.

Quote:
How come people can't spell Khan?

Is it a banned word on BGG that needs misspelling to get by the filters?


Kahn looks right its the more common spelling, and is phonetically like the name is pronounced, unless you actually look it up, which you did. That's how...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.