Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Venice Horror... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Inspired by Fantasy Flight Games' Call of Cthulhu Living Card Game Expansion: "Terror In Venice" (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=192&... , for more information) comes this: Venice Horror!

Any ideas, questions, comments, concerns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Er... The link points to a promotional article for the card game. Did you mean to include another link for a custom / official Arkham Horror expansion set in Venice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you made some custom content already, or were you just asking for thoughts on the idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Jacob Busby wrote:
Er... The link points to a promotional article for the card game. Did you mean to include another link for a custom / official Arkham Horror expansion set in Venice.

No, I didn't. I was actually hoping for someone to help me come up with ideas for an Arkham Horror fan expansion set in Venice.

So... any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't Look Back by Nicholas Roeg would probably be a good start.
The second Assassin's Creed game is partially set in Venice, though that's not really horror, more conspiracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ppphhht, I think we can do a bit better than that, Busby.

Possible sources of inspiration:

- Fritz Leiber's classic wierd tale The Black Gondolier - set in Venice California, but has ye olde Venetian roots, and 20th-century themes because of all the oil. http://www.arthursbookshelf.com/sci-fi/leiber/The%20Black%20...

- E.T.A. Hoffman's The Doge and the Dogess. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31439/31439-h/31439-h.htm

- Poe's The Assignation. http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/eapoe/bl-eapoe... - set in Venice, a fairly standard ghost story but anything in Poe is fair game because HPL was such a fan of his.

- Arturo Perez-Reverte's The Dumas Club - the quasi-supernatural element is standard religious stuff rather than weird/mythos, but the story takes place among a world of antiquarian booksellers and forbidden lore.

- Chaosium's old sourcebook Horror on the Orient Express has a big section set in Venice; I have conveniently put it in my dropbox for your perusal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/quvx33myg8ok7xc/2331_-_horror_on_t.... The new edition is on the way this year too, and the authors have a blog (http://orientexpresswriters.wordpress.com/) and have found at least one superb-sounding book about Venetian folklore.

- Even The Shadow of the Lion by the godawful Mercedes Lacky might yield some ideas; it's probably already inspired FFG's "Guardian" card that's show in the CoC CCG Venice preview.

- If we broaden the search there's always The Da Vinci Code, Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade, and Don't Look Now; but those all have religion-based supernatural elements, not cosmic horror. VERY broadly, it'd be a shame not to finally allow Arkham Horror to absorb Borges' own HPL-tribute, There Are More Things.

Were you planning on creating a full-size expansion board?

(Come to think of it, this is easily enough for an 'Expedition' board using my Door to Saturn rules... hmmmm....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Please feel free to design more little expedition boards - for whatever strikes your fancy! They're a neat little way to add expansion stuff without completely overwhelming the core gameplay (or my table!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: A Venice Expedition board.

One idea maybe to invert the usual expedition board. Instead of searching for hidden locations, the locatiosn are already on the board, but it's getting there and back again that's the tricky part.

Presume you have a map that looks something like this:

Back Alleys >------< Grand Canal... {no link} ...Labyrinth

Back Alleys and the Grand Canal are stable. Labyrinth is unstable. The Grand Canal is the Travel Office.

The special abilities of the locations could be:

Grand Canal - PICKPOCKETS Arkahm Encounters: After having an encounter here, make a Luck (+1) check or lose $1.

(This area should contain a few "go home" or "gain cash" encounters so that unlucky investigators can eventually leave Venice)

Back Alleys - SECRET COURTYARDS Arkham Encounters: After having an encounter here, make a Luck (+0) check or move to the Grand Canal and become delayed. If you pass with two or more successes you may move to the Labyrinth and have an encounter there.

{This area should contain the occasional "Go the labyrinths" encounter, in case the investigators have a more luckless team than usual}

Labyrinth - LOST IN THE DARK. Movement: You receive no Movement Points. Instead, make a Luck (-2) check. If you pass, you may move to the Back Alleys.

{This area should contain lots of "restore lose clues encounters" including several "restore the whole lot of em" It might also be fun to have an encounter that sends the investigator to the River Docks and heavily implies that s/he is delusional}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I'm not so keen on locations that have special abilities which cause you to have a sort of extra encounter (with a skill check). For something like pickpocketing, it doesn't need to be a special ability, just make sure lots of thievery happens in the encounter cards - you can give it more flavour and variety there anyway. I suggest reserving the location special ability for something that affects all encounters in that location, or something that can be done instead of an encounter.

Jacob's on to something with the movement lines though: you could have no movement lines on the board at all, and make all three locations aquatic, and among the encounters you find routes of moving around, but you can also find items like boats/gondolas that allow you to move directly between aquatic locations. (Actually that'd work quite well, I might use that in something myself. Not sure it'd be the best match for Venice tho'...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.