Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello all,

The official rules offer a system to score points based on the end-game condition. Without revisiting the debate over the usefulness of the aforementioned system, I have a question regarding the definition of, “visited”, as its applied to scoring the, “Number of the last sector visited (before the bunker) x 10 VPs”.

I would assume the INTENT of the rule defines the last sector “visited” as the last sector in which the player SURVIVED at least one Phase 5 combat.

I’m a newbie to the game and am working to get past Omaha beach (solo). Usually, I survive Sector 8 to move during Phase 4 into Sector 9, only to get wiped-out in Sector 9 during the immediate Phase 5. Technically, I was IN Sector 9 at the end of Phase 4, so did I “visit” Sector 9?

If the answer is “Yes”, this doesn’t sound to me like it meets the intent of the scoring system. Thusly when I score the above situation, I score the “last sector visited” as Sector 8, NOT Sector 9. I reason that I didn’t survive Sector 9 through the end of my first turn there, so I shouldn’t earn the points for advancing to Sector 9.

But the anal side of me says that since I was ‘technically’ in Sector 9 DURING Phase 5, then Sector 9 should be counted as the last sector visited. I could be convinced to see it this way also, as ‘technically’ I DID advance into Sector 9. But as I got my butt kicked there, should I get credit for it? Hmmm…. Maybe this did revisit the debate after all!

Thx,
bgm1961

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm not sure it matters a ton and I doubt there is anything official written but sure, it does say "visited" and not survived. You did indeed visit sector 9 in your example, but you did not survive. Give yourself 10 more points.

However, the whole purpose of the points system is a way for competitive measurement against others (and yourself). Needless to say, if you did not win, you did not do very well - no point system is going to make that any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visited is where you end the game. It doesn't matter if you survive or not, you still went to that sector. More importantly is that you are consistent as the score is just trying to gauge how well you did from game to game. So if you feel like it should be last surviving sector, then do that each and every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks both Aaron and Brian. Yeah, the answer to this question isn't anything I'm losing sleep over (if an additional 10 pts on my D-Day Dice score makes my day, then I've got greater issues)!

Still, during my last scoring I did get a little curious about it, and once that happens...

Anyway, I use the point system only to guage myself from game to game. So Brian, you're right that it truly doesn't matter as long as I'm consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coene Peter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it matters if you have survived or not as the rules state: to determine the glory of success or tragedy of their loss. So the last sector you stepped on to and have fullfilled the requirements for that sector(otherwise you would not have arrived),and even if it meant you were killed with sector dead toll or possibly MG fire just after arrival, will count for victory points in my opinion, giving you a sector number * 10 of vp's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.