Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am searching for a new game and I have come down to a list of 6 games I am interested in purchasing and introducing to my group, however I probably only have the funds for one. Here they are:

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
City of Remnants
Lords of Waterdeep
Cosmic Encounter
Belfort
7 Wonders

I've watched all their respective gameplay reviews but I am wondering how you, my fellow gamers, would rank these 6 games. I am also looking for brief comments if possible. If you have only played a couple of them I would still value your ranking and comments on those couple.

My group is consistently 4-5 players, but could easily range from 3 to 7 on a given night. We are very flexible in the type of games we play. 1 or 2 of us is prone to AP, but we like to be social and a 3-4 hour game is certainly not terrible for us by any means.

We started as Risk and Monopoly people (as many of us did I think). Fortunately we moved past that phase, slowly at first since we moved to Risk 2210 A.D., which is a decent game in our opinions (much better than the original Risk at least). We then moved to Catan, which we all love and still play, often incorporating the expansions. More recently we have got into Eclipse and that hits the table quite often. But I think we are ready to move to something with a little more player interaction, besides battling with dice and trading resource cards, while still keeping some of these elements.

Thanks in advance guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some games that your group has already tried and like? Or didn't like? It's not usually as simple as everyone just ranking the games...your group's tastes have to be taken into account as well, to help determine what the best fit for *your group* is. In other words, highest rank doesn't necessarily equate to the best fit for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, you have a good point. I edited the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica is probably my favorite game. I would go with that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Wow, that's a pretty decent list you've compiled. Here is how I would rank them to a newer gamer - say a new player showing up to our game group, not knowing anything else about the weight they like, their preferences, or anything else (I left out City of Remnants since I know nothing about it).

Belfort: This is an easy winner, in my opinion well above Lords of Waterdeep as it still has a great theme but is simpler but still almost as meaty. Both are Worker Placement games, this will play a tad quicker and usually introduces to newer players quite well with a decent amount of replayability (plus there is an expansion coming out).

7 Wonders: If you are looking for something that will burn a hole in your table due to getting played and replayed, this is your game. 7 Wonders has more than double the plays of most games in my collection. It plays quickly, plays with up to 7 (handles most player sizes pretty good as well), and is insanely easy to teach.

Strategy-wise it's certainly lighter but with enough weight where most hard core gamers will not automatically turn their noses at a chance to play it, adding Leaders and Cities expansions helps add a bit of depth as well.

Lords of Waterdeep: Still a great game. All those people who will yet at me later in this thread for putting Belfort first are within their right.

The reasons I put this lower are 1)Not everyone is going to like the theme 2)The game can be a tad confusing upon first introduction to newbies 3)The gameplay itself just isn't as compelling - even though every game is essentially "cube collecting," here it feels more foreign and disconnected to the theme and is a tad disappointing.

Battlestar Galactica: And actually the next two games I personally like better than all the rest, but as recommendations to others they have their disadvantages.

Battlestar Galactica is a "traitor" game. TRAITORS! It's funny how much I dislike coops but add a possible traitor and I absolutely love them. The level of paranoia is unlike any other game and BG is by far my favorite type of these types of games.

The disadvantage? It's loooong. Be ready to play 3 hours or so (ignore people who say it can go faster, you're going to be here a while, especially your first play). If you don't have people who like playing longer games, you will never see this on the table.

Cosmic Encounter: One of my favorite games of all times. Near Infinite replayability, insane random chaotic abilities and yet (usually) winning is highly decided upon skill. This is, at it's heart, a negotiation/political game and certainly one of the best.

The bad news? Pick 4 other people to play this with you and flip a coin for each one. Chances are, any that came up "tails" are likely to hate -HATE- this game for reasons that would take to long to expound upon (or even understand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dekedagger wrote:
Battlestar Galactica is probably my favorite game. I would go with that one.

Yes it is kind of on top of this short list based on what I heard, but I have heard great things about the others as well.

Do you have an opinion on any of the others? It's obviously very easy to recommend your favourite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Cow
msg tools
All really well played games, but Battlestar Galactica is also our group favorite as well. We've played it so much that we've actually worn out the first base game box as well as the Exodus expansion box when it came out and we just scavenged an un-used extra netrunner box to fit everything is because of wear and tear from playing so much.

That being said, try to at least get Exodus with the base game if not both expansions. Exodus adds a lot, especially for pilots and space combat. A good social group makes this game absolutely fantastic in rival to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddCow wrote:

That being said, try to at least get Exodus with the base game if not both expansions. Exodus adds a lot, especially for pilots and space combat. A good social group makes this game absolutely fantastic in rival to others.

I glad a couple of you mentioned some these games expansions as I was just going to ask if anyone thought that picking up the expansions a long with the base game of any of these titles would be a necessity in terms of an amplified gaming experience.

Given that are there any expansions for these titles I should shy away from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Wow, that's a pretty decent list you've compiled...

Thanks for your comments! Very helpful and informative. You don't hear some of those things in the "paid" reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick rundown of each game to help you out. These are just my opinions (although it is often shared by many others).

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game:
Very thematic game. It can stand up to repeated play. It works best at around 5/6 players and anything out that range is a worse off game. One of my favorite games, but it's a tricky game, especially early in your collection. Leave it for later.
City of Remnants
This game I'm not familiar with, so I'll leave it for others to comment on.
Lords of Waterdeep
This should probably be your choice. A great game to have in your collection. Lots of replay value. Easy to learn, but has a good level of strategy and interesting choices. Scales from 3-5 fairly well.
Cosmic Encounter
A definite classic, but it may be a little too simple for your gaming tastes. Plus, some games can be pretty horrible and it's 4 players or nothing.
Belfort
A solid contender. A bit under-rated. Scales well from 2-5. Lots of interesting choices. Theme is better implemented than LoW above, but mechanics are not as smooth or easy to grasp.
7 Wonders
Another solid contender. A bit over-rated. Supports a wide range of players. Seating order plays a little too much of a role (it's great to sit between two weak players). The game is very quick and you can fit in 2-3 games in the amount of time it takes to play 1 other. Takes a game or two to get the hang of it.

CoR aside, I'd start off with Lords of Waterdeep. It is a great stepping stone into the hobby.

As you like Eclipse (and Risk), I think Alien Frontiers would be another interesting one for your group to try out. I think it will probably do a better job than CoR and be better suited for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameForgotten wrote:
Here's a quick rundown of each game to help you out...

Interesting to hear the different takes on LoW. Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Of your list, I'd say Belfort... then probably 7 Wonders (though I got bored of 7 Wonders relatively quickly).

But since you've been enjoying a game as heavy Eclipse, I'd probably recommend Dominant Species above all your options. Plays 2-6 players, has a lot of interaction and confrontation... worker placement, cards, spatial elements. It's really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:

But since you've been enjoying a game as heavy Eclipse, I'd probably recommend Dominant Species above all your options. Plays 2-6 players, has a lot of interaction and confrontation... worker placement, cards, spatial elements. It's really great.

Yes I did look at DS and it was in my top ten, just didn't make this short list. May have to take another look at it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
We loved the relative simplicity of learning the game, and the simultaneous actions keep the game going very fast. However, there is very little player interaction. (You give some coins, deny cards by taking them yourself, and have a 'battle' after each age.) It seems our group has grown out of the game now. Possibly because there really isn't much else in it than playing to win. I think most of our favorite games are much more social and interactive.

Cosmic Encounter
A very good game for 3-5 players. Each expansion adds one player, and Cosmic Incursion adds 25 more aliens and a reward deck, so I recommend getting this expansion from the get-go. (I also have Cosmic Conflict, but it is not that essential, and Cosmic Alliance for 8th player does not interest me much.) The game is sometimes very chaotic, the alien powers and flare cards interact in funny and sometimes unexpected ways, so there is very high replayability factor in the game because there are lot of aliens. Can be very swingy at times, but fun to play even when you don't win.

Battlestar Galactica
Our favorite 5-player game by far. Both expansions are recommended. If you only can get one, after you get the base game down and know what is your group's most "burning issue" with the base game, you know which one. Not to mention everything, Pegasus gives more fire power, Exodus changes the cylon threat to be a constant through cylon fleet board (gives more to do for pilots). Both have several other elements that you can introduce to the game separately.

Galactica is best with 5, is very good with 6, a bit less so with 4 (Pegasus and/or Exodus help a bit there). You can play it with 3, but you probably should only do that while learning the game. 7 is possible with either of the expansion, although it depends on your group, if that is feasible (less turns for each player).

Our games with both expansions take 2-2.5 hours now. The first games can take 3-3.5 hours, but the base game can also be over in 30-45min, if you get a bad cluster of cylon attacks from the crisis deck. (The cylon fleet board makes the play times more consistent.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can really only speak for 7 Wonders and BSG.

Battlestar Galactica
Pretty much everything has already been said. It can be a very gripping and fun experience but it's a serious time investment and not very flexible in terms of player numbers. 4, 5 or 6 players are you optimum depending on who you ask. Three isn't worth playing - period - but it makes quite a decent solo game. There's quite a bit of stuff to fiddle around with during game play and you'll need at least a whole play through to get the hang of it.

7 Wonders
A lot of people say how easy it is to teach this game and I thought as much myself. I still think the game is pretty simple to learn, there's just a lot to take in: which can confuse some people. It's however a pretty short affair and works with pretty much any number of players. It does however suffer from Puerto Rico's affliction of bestowing a significant advantage to whoever sits downstream of the newbie.

From these two my choice would be clear: 7 Wonders. It's much more flexible. If you're curious about BSG but would like to try something shorter then check out The Resistance: Avalon or The Castle of the Devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Banas
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played them all except City of Remnants, which I'm eagerly waiting for.

My ranking would be the following:

Cosmic Encounter
Battlestar Galactica
Lords of Waterdeep
Belfort
7 Wonders

Though if you have a small group like that and like Risk I would highly recommend Kemet, it's a great small war-game that plays very quickly and is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game - I'd rather pluck out my own eyeballs and eat them. Long and boring. If I wanted to play a traitor game I'd go for The Resistance instead.
City of Remnants - don't know it
Lords of Waterdeep - interesting, fun theme. There must be strategy to it because I always lose badly.
Cosmic Encounter - archaic. Turns into a political game at the end, and all the things it does have been done better since.
Belfort - I've heard good things but haven't played it.
7 Wonders - plays pretty smoothly, and is very flexible in its number of players. For your group, I'd probably choose this one.

For my group I'd choose Belfort, but I've played LoW and 7W about enough now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything you've listed is lighter than Eclipse. So if you're looking for a good successor for that game then you might need a new list.

Some comments:

Battlestar Galactica- not good with low player counts and the traitor mechanism isn't for everyone. You may want to try The Resistance first.

I find Agricola to be superior to Belfort and Lords of Waterdeep in almost every way.

A worthy follow up to Eclipse would be Dominant Species or maybe Clash of Cultures. Then again if you want to take a walk on the crazy random side of sci fi then Cosmic Encounter may fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG is far and away the best choice, but it is not that good with less than 5.

Lords of Waterdeep and 7 wonders are on the lighter side; you guys would really enjoy them for a while, but tire of them in time (judging from your progression timeline)

Cosmic encounter is fun, but it is not strategy. It is more like Settlers(Someone gets the 40 power card, and someone ends up "kingmaking" at the end).

I would also look at Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy. Our group also started with RISK 2210, Settlers and we do play Eclipse. (our current most common plays (from most to least) are Race for the Galaxy, Battlestar Galactica, glory to Rome, Fleet, Core Worlds, Puerto Rico, Magic) We also just got Keyflower and it is looking like a staple.

anextiomarus wrote:
I am searching for a new game and I have come down to a list of 6 games I am interested in purchasing and introducing to my group, however I probably only have the funds for one. Here they are:

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
City of Remnants
Lords of Waterdeep
Cosmic Encounter
Belfort
7 Wonders

I've watched all their respective gameplay reviews but I am wondering how you, my fellow gamers, would rank these 6 games. I am also looking for brief comments if possible. If you have only played a couple of them I would still value your ranking and comments on those couple.

My group is consistently 4-5 players, but could easily range from 3 to 7 on a given night. We are very flexible in the type of games we play. 1 or 2 of us is prone to AP, but we like to be social and a 3-4 hour game is certainly not terrible for us by any means.

We started as Risk and Monopoly people (as many of us did I think). Fortunately we moved past that phase, slowly at first since we moved to Risk 2210 A.D., which is a decent game in our opinions (much better than the original Risk at least). We then moved to Catan, which we all love and still play, often incorporating the expansions. More recently we have got into Eclipse and that hits the table quite often. But I think we are ready to move to something with a little more player interaction, besides battling with dice and trading resource cards, while still keeping some of these elements.

Thanks in advance guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.