Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Vail
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By six banners to three, Publius Scipio won a great victory at Ticinus.

In this, the third game for each player, Hannibal liked his cavalry advantage and chose (unwisely, as it turns out) to try to come to grips with the Romans as quickly as possible, rather than maintaining a cohesive line. The Romans, on the other hand, for the most part avoided breaking up a united battle line for the sake of one or two advantageous attacks and patiently let the Carthaginians approach in groups. Two other factors contributed to Roman success: Scipio drew both the Mounted Charge cards played and had an instance or two of improbably favorable die rolling.

The Roman banners consisted of four units of light cavalry, one leader (commanding light cavalry at the time of his death), and one unit of heavy cavalry. The three Carthaginian banners were all medium cavalry.

The first several rounds of a battle should rarely see a mad dash for the opponent. A light unit cut off from retreat can be annihilated fairly quickly, and can't be evacuated easily if it survives a mauling. Even heavier units shouldn't be advanced recklessly for similar reasons, as well as the fact that splitting them up willy-nilly can make it much more difficult to concentrate the force they represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished playing this senario tonight and suffered a frustrating defeat to the Roman side. In the early stages I defrinitly seemed to have the advantage, my units were moving cohesivly and I swallowed up a med cavalry in the early turns.

But as the battle wore on I was unable to strike killing blows against elusive lighter units. By the end of the game both our lines were a mess,. I had lost 6-4, while my opponent had 4 single block units on the board.

good times but that loss stings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I played yesterday and Romans won 6-2, even after Scipio was killed in the mid-battle... BUT I was not using evade till now, in my first plays of the game I thought I would go step by step and introduce evading later (I come from M44)... Well, light cavalry not evading is just too fragile!

Today I replayed, now with evading, and Carthage won 6-3. The light cavalry can this way effectively harass the romans, and if the carthaginian heavy cavalry is advanced early towards the roman side romans have no room to evade... The sixth banner was the death of Scipio trying to escape through a light cavalry unit, no mercy!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.