Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Can non-phasing air units intercept phasing air units on a counter-air mission in a hex other than the target hex? 11.8 GUIDELINES FOR INTERCEPTING ENEMY AIR MISSIONS states "Generally, air units...may be intercepted anywhere along the flight path between their airbase of origin and their chosen target hex." But the final sentence of the 4th bullet in 11.5 COUNTER-AIR MISSIONS--"Once the attacker has moved all his counter-airing units, and the defender has decided which ones to intercept, players conduct air combat." -- only makes sense if the counter-air mission is essentially cancelled by the interception. Or does the phasing player's air unit continue on to a target hex if it survive the interception? I wish it was clearly stated in the rules.

2) Can British or French air units intercept German counter-air missions against the Belgian TAC air unit? It is clear from 23.37 that the Netherlands becomes a British Satellite after a German DOW, but 23.7 says nothing about the status of Belgium after a German DOW.

3) Counter air missions take place before the 1st impulse. 11.2.3 RESTRICTIONS ON AIR MISSIONS states "...an air unit may perform 1 mission of each type, each impulse of a player turn." Can an air unit that performs a counter-air mission also perform a mission in the first impulse? I assume yes, but, again, I wish the rules were clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
rcrawford wrote:
1) Can non-phasing air units intercept phasing air units on a counter-air mission in a hex other than the target hex? 11.8 GUIDELINES FOR INTERCEPTING ENEMY AIR MISSIONS states "Generally, air units...may be intercepted anywhere along the flight path between their airbase of origin and their chosen target hex." But the final sentence of the 4th bullet in 11.5 COUNTER-AIR MISSIONS--"Once the attacker has moved all his counter-airing units, and the defender has decided which ones to intercept, players conduct air combat." -- only makes sense if the counter-air mission is essentially cancelled by the interception. Or does the phasing player's air unit continue on to a target hex if it survive the interception? I wish it was clearly stated in the rules.

2) Can British or French air units intercept German counter-air missions against the Belgian TAC air unit? It is clear from 23.37 that the Netherlands becomes a British Satellite after a German DOW, but 23.7 says nothing about the status of Belgium after a German DOW.

3) Counter air missions take place before the 1st impulse. 11.2.3 RESTRICTIONS ON AIR MISSIONS states "...an air unit may perform 1 mission of each type, each impulse of a player turn." Can an air unit that performs a counter-air mission also perform a mission in the first impulse? I assume yes, but, again, I wish the rules were clearer.

Hi Bob - okay, in order:

1) the defender can intercept enemy air units anywhere along the flight path between the attacking units air base(s) and the target, just as it says in 11.8.1. There's no contradiction with 11.5. Planes have to fight somewhere - if the Germans' (attackers in this example) target hex was, say Birmingham, the Brits could intercept over Southampton. The air combat could go one two or three rounds, but then it's over, and both sides fly home. So if you want to call that "cancelling" the mission, okay, but I think that's a bit of a misnomer - there was still an air combat, and after three rounds, it's done.

As a practical matter, it usually makes more sense for the defender to intercept over his base - then he can choose to stay on the ground during rounds 2 and 3 if he wants to, and get some flak assistance if the odds in the air are too poor to make it worth while to come up and fight;

2) No, they can't, as per 23.1: "...A neutral minor country that has been invaded may not receive air-naval support from a Major Power in the operations segment in which it has been invaded..." So neither Britain nor France can help Belgium on the turn it's invaded. To clarify, although the issue has never arisen in any game I've ever played, Belgium becomes a French Satellite after Germany DOW's Belgium;

3) Yes, that's exactly what 11.2.3 means - counter-air is one of the bullets listed, but other missions can be (and usually are) conducted on the same impulse.

Hope this helps,

ernie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.