David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I took the plunge and bought a second Firespray. This and the fact that Wave 3 is on the horizon meant that I needed to find a new storage method. I have been a big proponent of the Plano 5231 as I chronicle here:
38th Storage Solution

But, I always knew that I would have to go bigger. And I found the perfect solution:

The Plano 3952.

If this looks like 2 Plano 5231’s smashed together, that’s because that is exactly what it is. This means any customization you’ve done with a 5231 easily transfers to this box. The other thing I really like about this is the handle. The 5231 had indentations for your fingers, but this has a full handle that you can put your fingers through. I carry rocks and steel bars in my case, so it is heavier than most, and I was always scared I was going to drop the old case. Not anymore. Also, with 2 distinct halves, I can more easily separate my Rebel side from my Imperial side so that I don’t have to keep flipping the case over.

You can buy it on Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQPVQ/ref=oh_details_o...

So my top Rebel level looks very similar.

I’m not trying to conserve on space too much right now because I don’t need to. Obviously I could combine the target locks into one compartment and put the criticals, evades, and stress tokens in the same compartment and have room for 4 more small ships.

Again, my bottom layer is really spread out right now because it can be. However, I can easily fit all the cards in the same compartment as the Falcon if I wanted to:

And if you aren’t carrying around rocks or a rolled up play mat, then the whole bottom layer is wide open for wave 3.

If you own 2 Falcon’s there is plenty of room for them. You can either perform minor surgery to fit the second Falcon in the space belonging to 9 of the smaller cells:

Or, because the Falcon is so flat, I am sure that you can stack 2 of them on top of each other in the large compartment.

The above picture is done with photoshop, but if you made a custom foam insert with 2 levels on it, then the two ships would fit easily and not touch each other. The trick is to avoid the satellite dishes when stacking the ships, as they appear to be the most fragile (and tallest) part. Right now I don’t see myself buying another Falcon unless I get a lot of store credit from winning a tournament, but if I do, then I will make that custom piece of foam and post pictures.

For the Imperial side, now it is the top that is vacant.

I could probably make even more room by combining things like the target locks. Plus the long trough that I keep my rebel maneuver dials in is completely empty. Also, you can see in top row that I am storing my Litco acrylic maneuver templates. So far no one has forbidden me to use them in a tournament, but I’m sure someone eventually will. If you don’t carry around two complete sets of maneuver templates like I do, then you have another six empty slots in this tray.

The lower level looks pretty full.

Again, the cards are spread out because they can be. Right now the cards take up 13 slots. I can consolidate them by stacking them in a 2x2 section in the lower level.

This will require minor surgery. You will also need to keep an empty cell in the top row in order to get your finger in there to remove the cards as they fit quite snugly. But after this the cards will only take up 5 cells leaving me 9 empty ones in the bottom. Right now there is an empty cell with foam in it for my 5th interceptor. I haven’t unpackaged it yet.

And if you need even more room down there, the TIE Advanced and Interceptor fit in the top layer.

I am keeping them in the bottom layer right now because that is how my foam is designed, but if the new ships don’t easily fit in the top layer I will have to perform a minor migration. I don’t know what the wave three ships will be, but assuming they will be the size of TIE fighters, which fit 2 to 2 cells, then I can move seven small ships (2 TIE advanced and 5 Interceptors) to the top level giving me 16 open slots in the bottom. If there is a big ship, I might need a large section of maybe 6 cells, 12 if I need 2 large ships, but that leaves me with at least 4 empty cells for the smaller ships.

This is how my Firesprays are set up. I am positive that if I pushed them closer together and slide them up or down to the edge of the foam, that there is room for a third one in there. If I get one I’ll post pictures. The foam I am using was purchased here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00091R0JO/ref=oh_details_o...

But, there you go. The move was very simple, and with all the extra room I have right now, I can even store my mission specific tokens that I had to keep in my basement before. Plus a new guy in our league has offered to by my old 5231, so I'm not stuck with old storage.

Wave 3, bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ended up buying 2 Plano 5231s. I keep tweaking my setup to make selection easier. My most recent innovation was to leave a bunch of small bases with single pegs in them and put those in a cell. Since I have started mostly playing on single peg height, I save both setup time and wear and tear.

I'll have to post another pic for comparison when I get home to show what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I nearly pulled the trigger on a 5231 earlier today after I stumbled onto it in a local megastore. Now, I will have to go out again tomorrow and see if they have this one instead.

My collection isnt as big as your yet, but I can see this game quickly becoming my miniature game of choice for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the heads up on the awesome case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic
msg tools
I've been following your Plano solutions since day 1, and I've been very happy with your results. I copied your setup almost to the tee when I got my 5231 including the pluck foam fitting Slave I and MF. I also recently picked up a second Slave I but I definitely don't see me getting a second MF. I'm taking the 3952 into consideration but the only problem is that I have all my pilot cards sleeved in tuck boxes. I have a tuck box specifically for Rebels pilots and another for Imperials that so far I've had to carry in my hand along with my 2nd Slave I (in its original plastic container) whenever I transport since they don't fit in my 5231. I was wondering if maybe using your sleeved pilot cards and your 3952, you could figure out where I could put the Rebel pilot tuck box and where I could put the Imperial tuck box. By looking at your pictures I thought maybe if I get new pluck foam for the MF and fit the Rebel tuck box next to it and like you said scoot the Slave 1's up a bit in their pluck foam I might be able to fit the Imperial pilot cards next to them. What do you think?

Although, I'll definitely still use my 5231 whenever I fly home to visit my "equally as enthusiastic about Star Wars" family since the 5231 fits nicely in my backpack (usually taken with me as a free personal item). Where I'd have no problem just taking 1x Slave I/MF as per your original 38th storage solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
larsulrich87 wrote:
I'm taking the 3952 into consideration but the only problem is that I have all my pilot cards sleeved in tuck boxes. I have a tuck box specifically for Rebels pilots and another for Imperials that so far I've had to carry in my hand along with my 2nd Slave I (in its original plastic container) whenever I transport since they don't fit in my 5231.

The biggest problem with the cards is that they don't fit in the lower level sideways. They always have to be resting at an angle to allow the lid to close. Putting them in sleeves makes this worse, as it makes the cards even wider. I don't know what the dimensions of your tuck box is, but I imagine it adds similar width as the sleeves, but there is probably no way you can store it at an angle because of the depth of the box.

My best guess would be to remove a section of wall in the lower level and store it in a 2x2 section as I show in my pictures above with the Darth Vader card. The slots on the far right are slightly wider than the rest of the slots and two wide on that side is enough to fit the cards with sleeves.

Right now I don't think there is enough room in the compartment with the falcon to lay the cards flat. They still have to be at an angle, but because the foam they rest against is so soft, their might be room to angle a tuck box there and still close it. If you squeeze the 2 Firesprays together there might also be room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you actually performed any of the "minor surgery" and if so, how did you do it? I'm not super handy with a Dremel and I'd be worried about weakening the integrity of the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonecutter wrote:
Have you actually performed any of the "minor surgery" and if so, how did you do it? I'm not super handy with a Dremel and I'd be worried about weakening the integrity of the case.

No, I haven't, but will probably use a side cutters. No need for power tools I would suspect. It's only plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:

No, I haven't, but will probably use a side cutters. No need for power tools I would suspect. It's only plastic.

Obviously clipping down the side with side cutters would be easy enough, but what I'm most worried about is removing the plastic from the bottom of the tray without it going through the bottom into the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonecutter wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:

Obviously clipping down the side with side cutters would be easy enough, but what I'm most worried about is removing the plastic from the bottom of the tray without it going through the bottom into the other side.

I'm not sure you need to. If the cards lie perfectly flat on the bottom, it will be much harder to pick them up. Having a raised surface in the middle shouldn't harm the cards, and the teeter-totter effect should make them easier to pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:

I'm not sure you need to. If the cards lie perfectly flat on the bottom, it will be much harder to pick them up. Having a raised surface in the middle shouldn't harm the cards, and the teeter-totter effect should make them easier to pick up.

You can solve the cardlifting problem by using a strip of paper and putting that on the bottom of the compartment and use that to lift the cards.

It is the same idea used in alot of battery compartements which has a strip of cloth to lift the batteries out.

The paper strip can be seen here in this image.

This eliminates the need for a place to put your fingers when lifting the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:

No, I get that, but unless this case is different from any other I've seen you're going to need to make three seperate cuts to get the plastic out. Two vertical cuts and then a horizontal cut across the bottom. It's that horizontal cut I'm worried about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonecutter wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Stonecutter wrote:

No, I get that, but unless this case is different from any other I've seen you're going to need to make three seperate cuts to get the plastic out. Two vertical cuts and then a horizontal cut across the bottom. It's that horizontal cut I'm worried about.

I see your point. Maybe I should try it before recommending it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start this by saying I don't know what I'm doing and I clearly have more courage than sense.

So I tried it with a Dremel. I wasn't using anything specifically made for plastic, which obviously is a bad idea.

It's not as bad as it looks because I went back and sanded it down by hand a bit to smooth it out, but as you can see it started to punch through the bottom of the case just a bit.

The cards fit sleeved, but I don't know how they'd do with sleeves on, it might not be possible to get the plastic flush enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you put some foam in the bottom to take away the ridge made by the plastic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.