Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is it dead? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I just found out this game and quite interested in getting one. But I noticed there are no more new expansions coming (I suppose?), so is this considered dead? FFG no longer develop new contents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab the game and the expansions. The cost of all is really reasonable! By adding and combinig the different expansions you can play this game over and over with 'tons' of variation. You can play with someone or solo. I almost always play solo. Its a relatively short play either way that, for me, really never gets boring or tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was released in 2010, expansions released in 2011 and 2012. Nothing has been announced in or for 2013.

The game isn't out of print (I believe) and its expansions are still available for print on demand. With those stopping, that's when I'd consider the game 'dead'.
Not whether they are or aren't making expansions.

It is Fantasy Flight Games release though, and it is also a Games Workshop license. So who knows what will happen with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already like 14 squads and 2 complete sets of genestealers, plus various boss.. Unless you want to dramatically alter the game, I believe there is enough material and adding more wouldn't renew the experience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reply.

I would like to adk everytime u play u just pick a Scenario and play it? Something like Lord of the Ring LCG where u pick a quest and start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holden Wolf
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I see it as a board game (with cards for components) more than a collectible or living card game.

You have some configuration options:
- You can select your marine squad randomly (or choose specific combat teams to complement one another) - some expansion packs give you additional combat teams to provide extra variety
- You can select your mission locations randomly (or tailor the mission for more theme - again some expansion packs give you additional mission locations
-Finally some expansions also provide additional and more varied enemies (adrenal genestealers, other tyranid creatures)

Overall, there are plenty of options for anyone wanting to explore the Space Hulk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
There is already like 14 squads and 2 complete sets of genestealers, plus various boss.. Unless you want to dramatically alter the game, I believe there is enough material and adding more wouldn't renew the experience for me.

Agreed. It's a cool little game and I don't think it really needs to have new stuff coming out all the time. I think a lot of folks who are used to the CCG/CMG models or some boardgames with an endless array of expansions expect to constantly see new stuff coming out or consider a game to be dead. Some games just 'are' and don't need all that stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
It amazes me that people equate 'no new expansions' with 'dead'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud VERBEEREN
Belgium
Sint-Agatha-Berchem / Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Along the same line: I was thinking "as long as people are playing it, it aint dead! right?"
After all, it's not one of those "living card game", like star wars or Netrunner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Which equates to new games being born into a Schrodinger-esque state where they are both alive and dead, the outcome of which to be determined by the game's sales and the eventual expansion release.

Of course, the fact that the expansion may not actually improve the game is not as important as the fact that it was actually released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aviad
Israel
Tel aviv
flag msg tools
Elder sign got an expansion after two years and the Print on Demand model makes it very simple to come out with new expansions when they want, so don't count this one out just yet. Now just need to figure out how to get Wheaton to play it

tho in all honesty, even if they'll never release any more official content for the game there's just so much variety with all the stuff out already it's really isn't needed.

I highly recommend the game, I picked it up as a filler and it turned out to be one of my favorite games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blaylock
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
A bit off topic, but I would love a nice, high quality, reprint of the expansions. I just love me that cardstock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.