5 Posts

Apocalypse: The Game of Nuclear Devastation» Forums » Rules

Subject: Getting re-started after many years rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
About to have my first game of Apocalypse for 24 years... more than rusty (!) so I've got a couple of very basic questions to get us started.

1. Can you make several moves of the same (diminishing) stack of armies in one turn?
2. If you have several empires can you service all of these in a single turn?
3. In fact, at what point is your turn over? Can you go on moving and fighting battles ad infinitum?

Any tactical or strategic tips would also be welcome!

With Many Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

I will answer all your questions together as they are inter-related.

You can move through empty areas with as many armies as you like, and keep moving, dropping off a minimum of one army per space (incl. sea areas) and leaving one unit in the space you came from.

You can keep doing this as long as you like and in any order, you can start in one Empire, switch to another and back again although this tends to pee off your opponents!

Remember you cannot move into a friendly occupied area. You can only add new armies there. So what you do with empty areas is a key decision - once owned they lose their flexibility.

This is because the attack process is different. If you want to move into an enemy occupied area you have to conduct an attack. In attack mode you have to choose a number equal to the number of armies you wish to attack with, minimum two. Clearly then the maximum is six using a D6. Note in an attack you can empty the province you are attacking out of if you wish by choosing a number equal to the number of armies you have in that attacking province (obviously max 6). This can be an effective trick as that province can be reoccupied later with that stack of armies or a different stack coming up behind but is high risk. Remember too the other rule restrictions on the number you can choose (and thus the number of armies you can advance) which depends on the terrain of the attacked and attacking provinces (cities, mountains and into and separately out of seas).

Another exception is sea areas. Note the die is not used in sea areas - attacks are always successful - but this also means you can attack with more than the usual max of six armies as long as you are attacking sea areas! Note though that sea areas are not places to leave big stacks of armies as an enemy attack with just the min two units would destroy it automatically. So if you leave dry land make sure you get back to dry land before the end of your turn with that stack.

Each Empire is considered separately for placing of armies, missiles and in the choice to attack or reconstruct. Note that a move into an empty province is not an attack - only into enemy provinces.

You can continue to move and attack anywhere in your Empire(s) until you have done, or no longer have stacks of armies big enough to launch legal attacks. The restrictions on not being able to move through friendly occupied areas usually make this obvious, as does the need to have enough defenders in your key areas.

One rule which is not obvious is that if you are attacking a province that when taken will link together two or more of your separate Empires and you kill the last defending army you have to place your missile in the original attacking Empire before advancing your armies to join together your Empires. You cannot place it on top of a missile in that newly co-joined bit of the Empire - see the flow chart governing attacks.

There are lots of strategic and tactical tricks in what is otherwise a simple system, rather like Diplomacy. Whilst joining your Empires together can yield extra armies by aggregating your provinces, you also lose some flexibility in that you have to pass up more opportunities in that bigger Empire when you need to reconstruct. Generally though bigger is better.

Note it is generally better to complete any reconstructions you have before attacking. If you attack (or occupy unoccupied provinces) from an Empire and join up to another Empire that you were intending to reconstruct, then you will lose that chance to reconstruct. Alternatively though if you reconstruct and in doing so you join up two Empires again, the other Empire may be denied it's chance to launch attacks. Careful analysis of the order you do your moves is thus in order on any turn in which you intend to perform reconstructions.

There are significant rule changes between Warlord 1st edition and Warlord 2nd edition and Apocalypse. One house rule I take from the Warlord rules is that captured missiles are reduced to one stage missile (Warlord 1st edition I think - 2nd edition reduced them to zero stage which a bit too harsh I think!) - otherwise it tends to be too dangerous to build large long range missiles and many small nukes get detonated. Not so much fun IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nick,

To have found someone that knows all about this pretty obscure game and to have sorted out my queries in the most thorough and clear way was fantastic enough. Now it turns out you are ten minutes away in the real world. That is pretty spooky. Clearly it would be good to meet up over a game at some point. Many thanks!

Jim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing, even though I posted a year ago I didn't check out where you were when you said you were close to each other. It turns out that I am also in Edinburgh. Spooky!!!

We have to get together! Do you go to FAQ in the Meadows Bar? It's the board game soc of the Uni.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucket Sunshine
Scotland
flag msg tools
People. I just found this site and registered after reading your Apocalypse messages. We have a small band of players here in Glasgow. Been playing for over 25 years. We have made some tightening of the rules which has improved the game; strict adherence to playing out phases of each players turn otherwise forfeits are incurred. Each Empire played out in turn with no back-tracking previously played Empires. Play passes when the dice is passed to the next player.

If anyone out there is still playing, drop me a line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.