Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cataldo
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently acquired 2038. I've previously played only 1870 from the 18xx line. Most of the rules seem simple enough, but the Transshipment Points are confusing me.

It's clear to me that TPs can be used as drop-offs at the end of a route, like any other base. However, a few things seem to mention that they can be used as if for a pickup, but other locations in the rules reference whether or not the ship is empty for how much the TP pays out.

In short, how do Transhipment Points work? Why are there two numbers on them? Under what circumstances does a ship get to receive the lower or higher numbers? How does what the ship in carrying matter?

Any help appreciated. I haven't played yet, trying to get the rules straight before trying to teach anyone else!

(If anyone has pointers to extra or more complete rules, those are also appreciated, but it seems there's little activity related to 2038 online.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoDiamonds wrote:
I've recently acquired 2038. I've previously played only 1870 from the 18xx line. Most of the rules seem simple enough, but the Transshipment Points are confusing me.

It's clear to me that TPs can be used as drop-offs at the end of a route, like any other base. However, a few things seem to mention that they can be used as if for a pickup, but other locations in the rules reference whether or not the ship is empty for how much the TP pays out.

TS points are sorta like the off-map red hexes in 1870/18xx. A transshipment point give a bonus only if you end a route there with an empty cargo hold. Let's Play, Operations (p2), para 3. Rules, 7.1 para 2 plus 7.12 para 2. Also, Points for 18xx players, Operations, 9th bullet.

Quote:
In short, how do Transhipment Points work? Why are there two numbers on them? Under what circumstances does a ship get to receive the lower or higher numbers? How does what the ship in carrying matter?

By ending a route at a TS point, you get the current value as a bonus. The game starts with the lower value; when the game enters Phase 4, the second value is used (and one TS point becomes the Asteriod League base). See the Game Phases card, under Phase I and Phase IV.

Not everything you need to know is directly in the Rules; the Let's Play example has a few key points, and the various cards have some as well. I like 2038 and Tom's other games, but I think 2038 really needed more than 4 pages for the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cataldo
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks Bob.

I had this nagging suspicion the answer *might* have been in the rules somewhere, but I just couldn't find it.

Maybe I'll get motivated and try to write more comprehensive rules at some point, if only for my own use!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, this was still tripping me up. I figured it out just before I was about to post a rules question (and in time for my first play), but for being pretty simple, it's a little embarrassing that I took so long to figure it out.

Just in case anyone has the same mental block that I had... a ship can make a pickup at a transshipment point (and immediately get income for that pickup) if it has at least one empty cargo hold. For some reason I was interpreting "an empty cargo hold" as "an empty ship." I was thinking that a Phase I Tug (3/2) had one cargo hold with space for 2 goods, and it had to be empty to gain money from a TP. In actuality (and this is laid out in the rules, no excuse here), it has 2 cargo holds. It can get the TP bonus if it has made 1 pickup already (or 0).

The rules don't talk about this in quite the same terms. They say that you can "make a pickup" at a TP. Which still didn't quite make sense to me, because I was thinking that if you ended your route at a TP, you have already "dropped off". Where would you drop off the new pickup you made? Do you have to extend your route to a second endpoint? The answer, of course, is no. Thinking about "drop offs" was just a case of reading into the theme a bit too much. The rules don't have any concept of a drop off. You simply move a ship from your base to an endpoint (any base or TP), and earn income based on pickups. Having one of those pickups be at the endpoint doesn't affect the income you earn from it.

Anyway, the rule is reasonably clear, just thought I'd add this for anyone that had the same amount of trouble understanding it as I did initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
arkayn wrote:
The rules don't talk about this in quite the same terms. They say that you can "make a pickup" at a TP. Which still didn't quite make sense to me, because I was thinking that if you ended your route at a TP, you have already "dropped off". Where would you drop off the new pickup you made?

See the Design Notes sheet, Storyline, page 3, paragraphs 2 and 3.

Between ore runs, ships are assumed to be running back to their bases, partially loaded with consumables (fuel, oxygen, food, etc.). A ship can pick up extra consumables on a "return run" and then deliver them to the transshipment points during a "mining run" to be shipped onward to other regions of the asteroid belt -- to be transshipped -- at the cost of one cargo slot, the payment for which increases during the game as the population of the asteroid belt increases.

These runs back to base are abstracted from play for simplicity (but explained in the Design notes). To not add terminology, this abstracted pickup of consumables on "return runs" for transshipment is instead treated as a pickup at the transshipment point. Otherwise, whenever using "pickup" in the rules, I would have to say "mine pickup or dedicated cargo hold for transshipment purposes" or some other awkward phrase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Like I said, it's reasonably clear in the rules, I just wanted to post here to clarify, in case, in another 10 years, someone else has a similar mental block to understanding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.