Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My own Settlers of Catan board.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I work for a cabinetmaker, and have time to use the shop for personal projects every now and then. My next project is making my own full Settlers of Catan set, including expansions (Seafarers, C&K, 5-6).
I'll put a progress report up somewhere at some point. Maybe here in this thread.

Anyway, the main point for my posting this here right now; A question:
Anyone have any good suggestions for how I could make my own set of cards (or have them made)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the game(s).

There's nothing wrong with you making your own board and pieces, for the pleasure of playing with a deluxe version you made yourself.

But that doesn't absolve you from your obligation to pay for the game you are playing.

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Chris__M wrote:
Buy the game(s).
But that doesn't absolve you from your obligation to pay for the game you are playing.


Here you're making an assumption that I don't own the game - it is unfortunately, correct - I'm using the local gaming club's copy to base my own set on. Still, you did simply assume that I didn't own the game myself. Try not to do that to people, eh?

Anyway, there is still the point that I'd like my set to have its own pieces.

To those who suggested the replacement card set: The only ones available are for basic settlers. The package has 95 resource cards and 25 Developpment cards, which doesn't help with the 5-6 expansion, and doesn't work at all for adding C&K, since I also need commodity, progress, and victory point cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Kosmos sells the progress charts separately. I'm not sure if you can get the special cards (events, wares) though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peacimowen wrote:
Chris__M wrote:
Buy the game(s).
But that doesn't absolve you from your obligation to pay for the game you are playing.


Here you're making an assumption that I don't own the game - it is unfortunately, correct - I'm using the local gaming club's copy to base my own set on. Still, you did simply assume that I didn't own the game myself. Try not to do that to people, eh?


Sorry if it gave offence, but it seemed a reasonable assumption, as if you owned the game, you would already have the cards.

I could think of many reasons why someone owning a game would want to make an improved, over-sized or deluxe, version of it. I couldn't think why someone who already had the cards would be asking how they could make them.

So it wasn't a simple assumption, it was something I had carefully considered; and apparently I was correct.

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh-oh. Hold on tight. It's going to be another rough ride!!!! ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bergeron
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, Cabinetmaker you say? How about designing an excellent game storage cabinet? It would have to have some shelves deep enough to hold board games of various sizes, with enough density of shelves to prevent having to stack too many games in a pile, and probably drawers to hols all the loose extra pawns, dice, markers, monopoly money, pens and paper, etc. And perhaps with swing open doors that have pockets on the inside to hold all the card games...

Ah, the dream....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
laurion wrote:
Huh, Cabinetmaker you say? How about designing an excellent game storage cabinet?
~~~~
Ah, the dream....


If you've got the money...
It wouldn't be cheap, though.

On note above about relevance of my owning the game or not:
It's simply about paying or not paying the people who have the rights to the game.

Anyway, even if I did own the game, I would like to have my set have it's own game pieces, cards, etc... Why disable the perfectly playble original game by taking half the pieces away?

For the player's pieces, I noticed Mayfair sells unpainted sets, so I'll probably be buying those instead of making my own tiny pieces. Much easier that way.

And now off the the gaming club I go...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't think someone making a copy of a game for themself is going to hurt any publisher in a significant way.

As long as the person is making the clone for their own use and enjoyment, I think it furthers the hobby (more games played by more people), and actually helps in the bigger picture in terms of sales.

I buy many games, new,used, FLGS, online gamestores, eBay, Barnes & Noble even Walmart. I also will choose a game from time to time to clone.. it's an intimate process, you get to really know the game, and many times the cost outruns the cost of simply buying it in the FLGS or online.

Do I care whether I paid new retail for the game before I start a clone? Of course not.

Will my making a clone of say, 5 of the many games I really like, effect my purchasing decisions on the 100's of games I want? No, of couse not.

I think such absolutism about copies is not productive to the hobby or the game market. Such thinking I think could be equally, although just as erroneously, applied to buying used copies of games still in-print by publishers.

Selling clones is a whole other bag, I'll give you that. That, I could not condone.




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
LordBobbio wrote:
Selling clones is a whole other bag, I'll give you that. That, I could not condone.


That I would not do. This clone is for my own use. The cost would be prohibitive for most gamers, anyway. Between materials and hours I've put into this, it would cost a lot more than the official deluxe edition. (which is mass produced, and therefore somewhat cheaper).

I have settled on buying the player's game pieces from mayfair, since they sell unpainted sets for the original and both expansions. The other few pieces I'll make myself.

Still stuck on the subject of getting cards for it though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.