Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
63 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: retail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on the success of the KS project.

i am wondering, do you guys have any idea on how long it would take
before SoG shows up at retailers?

uthink itll be available about this time next year?

also what prices would we be looking at?
about the same as for the WoG series?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the title page for this game, you'll see that is already listed as a pre-order at some online stores. There are online retail prices there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If those prices hold, us Kickstarters got absolutely ripped off! Shoulda known better. shake Average price per ship for me was around $16. Dang it.

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are taking pre-orders for the entire line of SoG series. Estimated shipping dates are August 2013.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
If you look at the title page for this game, you'll see that is already listed as a pre-order at some online stores. There are online retail prices there.


i am looking at the title page for this game and i don't see pre-order, online stores or even 'listed'...
all i see is one entry in versions that says 'unreleased'
and en empty marketplace section.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He is likely refering to the text ad,

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/109291/sails-of-glory

Look just below the box shot.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ahh ic, it was being blocked by some plugin or other.

got it now, thxz
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
If those prices hold, us Kickstarters got absolutely ripped off! Shoulda known better. shake Average price per ship for me was around $16. Dang it.

-Ski


I checked out their site and the prices look good...not just for "future" SoG stuff. The plus side with Kickstarter was that you get the stuff early (not important to me), save on tax and shipping (at least for US customers), and get a few freebies thrown in, depending on your pledge level. Still wasn't a bad deal overall IMO.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Teamski wrote:
If those prices hold, us Kickstarters got absolutely ripped off! Shoulda known better. shake Average price per ship for me was around $16. Dang it.

-Ski


I checked out their site and the prices look good...not just for "future" SoG stuff. The plus side with Kickstarter was that you get the stuff early (not important to me), save on tax and shipping (at least for US customers), and get a few freebies thrown in, depending on your pledge level. Still wasn't a bad deal overall IMO.


If I ordered the game from a vendor, I would have gotten free shipping and no taxes. Now, I don't blame ARES for this. It is down to being good consumers and weighing the pros and cons. In this case, If these preorder prices were shown during the campaign (which they were not), I would have just gotten the four exclusive ships instead. The value is not good here. You are looking at a $20 difference in the base game and $4.00 a ship. That is considerable.

-ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
If I ordered the game from a vendor, I would have gotten free shipping and no taxes. Now, I don't blame ARES for this. It is down to being good consumers and weighing the pros and cons. In this case, If these preorder prices were shown during the campaign (which they were not), I would have just gotten the four exclusive ships instead. The value is not good here. You are looking at a $20 difference in the base game and $4.00 a ship. That is considerable.

-ski


NWS has great prices, but does charge S/H. Might be best to wait to see if the other places that offer free S/H at a certain threshold offer the same deep discounts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
If those prices hold, us Kickstarters got absolutely ripped off! Shoulda known better. shake Average price per ship for me was around $16. Dang it.

-Ski


Isn't it usually the case that kickstarter buyers get "ripped off" compared to retail prices? The only real benefits to kickstarting that I see in most campaigns are 1. exclusive content and 2. free stretch rewards, which can add up to significant value.

In the case of Sails of Glory they told us what the MSRP would be for the game - $90 for the starter set, $20 for the ship packs (though it appears the frigates are cheaper).

Going by the typical discounts you see from American online discounters, I'd expect to see street prices in the vicinity of $60 and $14 respectively. The big surprise to me is that NWS has the starter set for only $50. That makes me wonder if Ares changed the MSRP on the starter set, or if NWS has the price wrong.

I hope you were using prices of ~$60 and ~$14 when you were deciding whether to pledge. If you did, and you add in the stretch goal rewards, I think you'd find that at least some kickstarter levels were a good value (by that I mean about the same price as online discounters, assuming that you value the exclusive ships the same as their retail counterparts).

Also, you get more components with the ships bought through the kickstarter: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/961016/ships-obtained-throug... In the future you'd need to buy an accessory pack to use more ships in a battle than the number supported by the starter set.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe its a pre-order discount?

another advantage of KS might be to be sure of getting a game that
might not make it to retail.

in any case i would not expect a publisher to undercut its own retailers...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone who pledged at the Captain level, I still think I got the better discount from kickstarter (once I factor in all the extras).

I am psyched to play this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
Speaking as someone who pledged at the Captain level, I still think I got the better discount from kickstarter (once I factor in all the extras).

I am psyched to play this game.


Yep...another Captain here. I thought it was, overall, a good deal. Just waiting to sail away and blast some folks out of the sea arrrh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I kickstarted it to encourage companies to start producing high-quality, reasonably priced, prepainted miniatures. There are *lots* of miniature gamers out there that aren't painters, and it holds them back from getting into that hobby. This is the first serious attempt at a good, prepainted, naval miniatures line.

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days is another one for WWII tactical. Pricey, but awesome.

Now I need to find a company to do 6mm, 10mm or 15mm period infantry for either the ACW or Napoleonics. I'd gladly pay for it.

I suppose I'm saying that KS a project can have many motivators, and in this case, price was not it for me. I wanted the project to immensely successful and perhaps draw in some other companies to see that a profit can be made on prepainted miniatures.

Now that I think about it, I suppose D.U.S.T., Tannhauser, and Star Wars are also popular sets of nice prepainted minis, but I was talking about black powder historicals.

Cheers!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
I kickstarted it to encourage companies to start producing high-quality, reasonably priced, prepainted miniatures. There are *lots* of miniature gamers out there that aren't painters, and it holds them back from getting into that hobby. This is the first serious attempt at a good, prepainted, naval miniatures line.

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days is another one for WWII tactical. Pricey, but awesome.

Now I need to find a company to do 6mm, 10mm or 15mm period infantry for either the ACW or Napoleonics. I'd gladly pay for it.

I suppose I'm saying that KS a project can have many motivators, and in this case, price was not it for me. I wanted the project to immensely successful and perhaps draw in some other companies to see that a profit can be made on prepainted miniatures.

Now that I think about it, I suppose D.U.S.T., Tannhauser, and Star Wars are also popular sets of nice prepainted minis, but I was talking about black powder historicals.
Cheers!


thumbsup 15mm ACW pre painted and I'm all in... I got into SMG and they're nice...but ACW, sheesh! Sign me up...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:

NWS has great prices, but does charge S/H. Might be best to wait to see if the other places that offer free S/H at a certain threshold offer the same deep discounts.


As a note, "free" shipping is achieved through higher prices to compensate for the difference. I have been a gamer for over 30 years, and an online retailer for 13+ years and I have yet to see any shipping service give a retailer free shipping so the customer always pays for it one way or another. Not trying to be overly direct, just stating reality.

We also attempt to match any lower total including any rewards, shipping discounts, etc..no membership, account, etc.. required. Either way - you will likely not pay more for ordering with us then anyone else. Our prices are set based on distributor price marks and I already verified them so we are good to go on our end.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"As a note, "free" shipping is achieved through higher prices to compensate for the difference."

...and, like who wouldnt have known that? NWS has some pretty darn good prices...even with nominal shipping thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
thumbsup 15mm ACW pre painted and I'm all in... I got into SMG and they're nice...but ACW, sheesh! Sign me up...

They're coming MayorJim:

http://www.gordonandhague.com/index.html

And Brian at Gordon & Hague is bringing out his first boardgame that can be played with his pre-painted ACW figs, called Gettysburg: The Valley of Death:

http://www.gordonandhague.com/american-civil-war-games.html

All yet in the works, but I bought a ton of Gordon & Hague pre-painted 10mm ACW figs, and have used these with my 3D versions of the boardgame Battle Cry:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/794120/gettysburg-second...

Anyway, back to Sails of Glory!!!
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS Online Store wrote:
Not trying to be overly direct, just stating reality.


Sorry, didn't mean it exactly in that way (actually almost edited it just in case it would be taken that way).

Teamski and I are both backers in the Kickstarter, and I didn't want him thinking your lower than normal listed prices were going to be the benchmark for those online retailers who offer free S/H (which as you point out it's not really free). I figured he'd be happier with backing the project once he saw how close the final costs were going to be in the end when all is said and done (then again it might depend on what level he backed at).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
NWS Online Store wrote:
Not trying to be overly direct, just stating reality.


Sorry, didn't mean it exactly in that way (actually almost edited it just in case it would be taken that way).

Teamski and I are both backers in the Kickstarter, and I didn't want him thinking your lower than normal listed prices were going to be the benchmark for those online retailers who offer free S/H (which as you point out it's not really free). I figured he'd be happier with backing the project once he saw how close the final costs were going to be in the end when all is said and done (then again it might depend on what level he backed at).


Yes, NWS offers lower prices with the additional cost of shipping, but those retailers offering free shipment will still beat the Kickstarter price by a sizable margin. This is pretty much a given considering the way the market is driven. Those discounts are not known until the campaign is over, leaving it up to us, the consumers, to determine whether or not a campaign is worth the expenditure. By that time, it is too late either way.

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Yes, NWS offers lower prices with the additional cost of shipping, but those retailers offering free shipment will still beat the Kickstarter price by a sizable margin.


Did you get just the base game? I'm in at the captain level and I did some quick math when this thread started and I think looking at it as a purely financial transaction I'm still ahead or at least near par.

One thing that might be possible for you still if there is a pledge manager: if you did just get the base game, you might be able to instead apply that to just the exclusive level and put the remainder towards some of the add ons that will be a good deal (mat at $20 vs. the typical street value of $25, etc).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Teamski wrote:
Yes, NWS offers lower prices with the additional cost of shipping, but those retailers offering free shipment will still beat the Kickstarter price by a sizable margin.


Did you get just the base game? I'm in at the captain level and I did some quick math when this thread started and I think looking at it as a purely financial transaction I'm still ahead or at least near par.

One thing that might be possible for you still if there is a pledge manager: if you did just get the base game, you might be able to instead apply that to just the exclusive level and put the remainder towards some of the add ons that will be a good deal (mat at $20 vs. the typical street value of $25, etc).


In in at Captain with two additional SoL's.....

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
jyeackle wrote:
NWS Online Store wrote:
Not trying to be overly direct, just stating reality.


Sorry, didn't mean it exactly in that way (actually almost edited it just in case it would be taken that way).

Teamski and I are both backers in the Kickstarter, and I didn't want him thinking your lower than normal listed prices were going to be the benchmark for those online retailers who offer free S/H (which as you point out it's not really free). I figured he'd be happier with backing the project once he saw how close the final costs were going to be in the end when all is said and done (then again it might depend on what level he backed at).


Yes, NWS offers lower prices with the additional cost of shipping, but those retailers offering free shipment will still beat the Kickstarter price by a sizable margin. This is pretty much a given considering the way the market is driven. Those discounts are not known until the campaign is over, leaving it up to us, the consumers, to determine whether or not a campaign is worth the expenditure. By that time, it is too late either way.

-Ski


Yep...at the Captain level, it's still not a bad deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyXwire wrote:
MayorJim wrote:
thumbsup 15mm ACW pre painted and I'm all in... I got into SMG and they're nice...but ACW, sheesh! Sign me up...

They're coming MayorJim:

http://www.gordonandhague.com/index.html

And Brian at Gordon & Hague is bringing out his first boardgame that can be played with his pre-painted ACW figs, called Gettysburg: The Valley of Death:

http://www.gordonandhague.com/american-civil-war-games.html

All yet in the works, but I bought a ton of Gordon & Hague pre-painted 10mm ACW figs, and have used these with my 3D versions of the boardgame Battle Cry:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/794120/gettysburg-second...

Anyway, back to Sails of Glory!!!


David, what a great find! Thanks...I think ? meeple now, time to save the pennies...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.