JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please help me choose a birthday gift for my gaming daughter. I'm going to give her a Heroscape expansion, but I also want to give her something else.

She quite a gamer, here's her loves, likes and dislikes:

Loves:
Blokus
Bohnanza
Settlers of Catan
Balloon Cup
Heroscape
Carcassonne
Through the Desert
Werewolf
Saboteur
Ricochet Robot

Pick Picnic
Rat a tat cat
Apples to Apples

Dislikes:
Formula De
Galloping Pigs
hmmmm, and not really much else, she'll play anything!

I'm thinking about Once Upon a Time because maybe she could play it with her friends. But then I wonder if this is the best choice because she is moving into that self-conscious phase and I wonder if creativity games would make her feel too embarrassed.

The other choice is Jambo because she really likes to play Balloon Cup with me and it's a nice one on one time when we play a game together.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
For one to play with you and with her friends, have a look at Techno Witches:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/16373

or Ticket to Ride:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9209

Both HUGE hits with my 12 yo daughter this xmas

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Samurai for all the reasons mentioned. Plus it plays quickly, which can be a good thing in a busy world.

I'll also pitch Things... It's a party game, one she would use in those situations that might have called for Apples to Apples. The difference is it plays to the sensibilities of the players. 12-year-olds will have as much fun writing answers to "Things... you should never give your grandmother" or whatever as adults will, even though the nature of the answers may differ depending on the group. It has been a major hit with every group we've tried it with, and that includes 12-year-old boys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Off the top of my head, my first recommendation would be Ticket to Ride. Here are the reasons:

a) It's a really fun game
b) It looks fantastic
c) It's not too "heavy", and very accessible to non-gamers (ie. easier to play with friends)
d) It works fairly well as a 2-player game, so you can play together

Ticket to Ride Europe is also fine choice. The differences between the games are fairly negligible, imho, so it's just a matter of preferred theme.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter has played and enjoyed both Ticket to Ride and Techno Witches, as suggested above. But you should also give serious consideration to Deflexion, especially given her experience with Ricochet Robot.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai was my first thought as well. FWIW, Fjords was my second thought (nice two person game for the both of you). Guillotine has been a big hit with my Blokus-loving teenage nieces and I think that's one that it would be easy to get friends to play. Boomtown also went over really well, but it requires at least 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Jatoha wrote:

Gotta get CITADELS and INGENIOUS on the list for consideration - both relatively simple, both multiplayer, both reasonably short length. INGENIOUS should be a must for anyone who enjoys BLOKUS and CITADELS emphasizes social interaction and bluffing - not dissimilar to a pumped-up WEREWOLF. And both are very reasonably priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Please help me choose a birthday gift for my gaming daughter. I'm going to give her a Heroscape expansion, but I also want to give her something else.

She quite a gamer, here's her loves, likes and dislikes:

Loves:
Blokus
Bohnanza
Settlers of Catan
Balloon Cup
Heroscape
Carcassonne
Through the Desert
Werewolf
Saboteur
Ricochet Robot

Pick Picnic
Rat a tat cat
Apples to Apples

Dislikes:
Formula De
Galloping Pigs
hmmmm, and not really much else, she'll play anything!

I'm thinking about Once Upon a Time because maybe she could play it with her friends. But then I wonder if this is the best choice because she is moving into that self-conscious phase and I wonder if creativity games would make her feel too embarrassed.

The other choice is Jambo because she really likes to play Balloon Cup with me and it's a nice one on one time when we play a game together.

Othello may be good and so is Carcassonse the river (i never player without the river.) i don't know what really to sugest more. most of the gmae tha i like are more complicated then you listed abd very diffrent.... mabye ticket to ride will be good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing games at lunch with a few 10 and 11 year-olds at school, and they have really enjoyed Samurai and For Sale. (Soon, I'll have them playing Age of Steam and Princes of the Renaissance!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a lucky dad! My nine-year old just told me that Heroscape is "kinda boring." Then I brought home a thrift store copy of Stratego and he loved it.

Kobra1 has been talking me into "a dog's life"

Apparently it needs one tweak to take it from broken to awesome, and it has a lot of theme, which might be good for her friends. Please take into account that this is a secondhand recommendation, of course. I'm going to get it because I can play with four family members (43, 40, 9, 6, 5)at once, and the theme appeals to the younger kids. Plus, you can piddle to mark your territory.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/2940

Here is Kobra1's review, which includes the rule changes:

http://boardgamespiel.com/content/view/47/26/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.