Subject: Inadvertent Lancelot variation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Avalon over the weekend, and, by request, included Lancelot.

Since I haven't printed out the rules for him, I went from memory and invented an unofficial variant:

Red Lance opens his eyes and knows the other bad guys.
Red Lance reveals to Merlin.
Blue Lance keeps his eyes closed and thumb down throughout.
Using all 7 of the switch? cards, reveal one before the first team selection for each mission, with the Lances switching sides on a switch result, and switching back if the second one comes up.

We played twice with 9 players (with Percival and Lady of the Lake, and adding Excalibur to the second game).

First game I was Blue Lance, but switched sides from the start. I think we ended up successfully guessing Merlin after quest 5 - I got Laked after the second quest (which double-failed because I had no idea Morgana was on it too) and then Laked who turned out to be Red Lance.

Second game, I was Percival and started as Lady of the Lake. Again, Lances switched from the start, but this time they reverted for the fourth and final quests. Quests 1 (Assassin and 2 others) and 2 (both Lances and two servants) failed, then quest 3 sent Merlin, Morgana, Red Lance and a loyal servant, with Red Lance wielding Excalibur. Excalibur flipped Morgana's vote, and, after the servant from quest 2 who I'd Laked Laked the other servant from quest 2, I had a fair idea who most people were. After the 4th quest, the leader from quest 3 got Laked, and I managed to convince enough people to trust myself (and the chain I'd led) and Merlin, and leave Red Lance, Morgana (known baddie), the Assassin and Blue Lance out - meaning that as soon as the Assassin declared himself, I knew who everyone was. The Assassin took out a loyal servant, and I listed everyone's roles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...confused...

If Dirty Lance knows the other spies, when he flips, he just rats them out, no?

Thus is the reason why Dirty Lance cannot know spies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Wait...confused...

If Dirty Lance knows the other spies, when he flips, he just rats them out, no?

Thus is the reason why Dirty Lance cannot know spies.

But he doesn't know whether he'll flip back, so he may not want to rat people out before the (potentially) decisive quest, and he doesn't know who Blue Lance is anyway.

Also, there's nothing stopping the other bad guys from claiming Red Lance and spreading more confusion...

It also makes it more interesting for the bad guys when they can't be sure which of them has just changed allegiance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe when playtested it was found that DL knowing spies nearly always lead to him ratting out spies. But, try it a few times and report back!

For comparison, when I draw DL, I immediately out myself, trying to get put onto missions under the premise I'm playing for Team Good and will pass all missions.

Even if I end as spy, I'm constantly looking for Merlin so I have a second way to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I believe when playtested it was found that DL knowing spies nearly always lead to him ratting out spies. But, try it a few times and report back!

For comparison, when I draw DL, I immediately out myself, trying to get put onto missions under the premise I'm playing for Team Good and will pass all missions.

Even if I end as spy, I'm constantly looking for Merlin so I have a second way to win.

This. Part of the fun of this variant are who claims DL. If fellow spies also claim DL they may have a tough time winning outright, especially when there is no switch. Would a rebel ever claim DL? (They could, especially after a first switch!)

Good lance claims are pretty suspect since it thins out the merlin pool, but they can happen too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.