GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Ambush!» Forums » General

Subject: Mission 3 question (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louis Garwood
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the weekend I played Mission 3. finally some german movement! i finally have the mechanics down and play time was reduced from the first 2 missions.

One question, the Panzer never appeared. When i was searching the rubble there was an event that would have my guys "hear" the rumbling of treads off the map, but the panzer never came on. I know about it from reading other session reports.

Also, the scenario never ended as described in the briefing, so technically i never finished the mission.

i ended up just stopping, due to squad depletion, 2 KIA, 2 incapacitated.

so i lost, but i was wondering with the no paragraph structure of this mission, and sightings only triggering with events, how would you force the tank to appear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
LetitLoose wrote:
..., how would you force the tank to appear?

Are you NUTZ!? You want the tank to come looking for your squad? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
LetitLoose wrote:
..., how would you force the tank to appear?

Are you NUTZ!? You want the tank to come looking for your squad? surprise

But he wants his squad to have the "full total war" experience,
you know the one...
where he gets to face off against a tank with ....ping pong balls

otherwise he has no "real" war stories to tell,
of how his squad was wiped out in such a sad unfair tale of woe...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory
SPOILER

The tank appears when your rummaging around the area below or to the right of where the rubble is - the tank then took out like 4 of my squad

dont think the tank moved very much - but did a lot of damage - plus my guys had no bazooka

Gazman

Just a thought - sometimes if you cross of the sighting before you should - you should only cross off the particularly sighting when you see it not when its on the mission card - you will not end up not seeing the tank - this was in the errata published originally in the move out booklet and can be found on Lutzs ambush pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Garwood
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no i didn't WANT it to appear. but i don't know if you can win the mission without it appearing.

i only ended up with 12 VP's, 7 for exploring rubble hexes. 9 for killing Germans. -4 for two US KIA.

you need 25 to win.

I stopped because i only had 1 satchel charge with my worst soldier, no way i wanted to face a tank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think the panzer was like 3vp when it appears and another 3 when destroyed. So will not get you to 25. Cannot remember what the vps were

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a quick look at my play notes just got to 15. So a tough one to get to 25. Didn't search every hex gave up after heavy losses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Garwood
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, this one is definitely a step up in challenge from the first two.

Thanks for looking it up in your notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antifringe Antifringe
msg tools
Strange, the paragraph that activates the first wave of German soldiers also activates the tank. The reference to the tank is hidden in the middle of the paragraph and its pretty easy to miss. I don't think it is possible to leave Condition 1 without triggering this paragraph and I also don't think you can trigger any other Germans fro Condition 1, so I think something went haywire with your reading.

Mission 3 is strange because it relies heavily on rare random events to keep the action going. There are supposed to be 4 groups of three soldiers and a tank, and the events needed to get anything other than the first wave + tank are so rare that you might not ever see them, and the last wave is so extremely hard to trigger that I didn't know it existed until I started digging through the cartridges trying to see if there was supposed to be more. The scenario is way more fun if you just 'cheat' and activate all the Germans at once in one huge, coordinated wave. I'll check my notes late and see if I noted the relevant paragraphs you'd need to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Garwood
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm, i must have missed the tank mention then, because i first activated 3 germans in column X, then immediately after the road hex at A5 and some at the top edge of the map.

so that was 9 of 12 infantry. i'm guessing the A5 troop of panzergrenidiers should have come on with the tank.

I'll check it out. thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to at this.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/844900/mission-reviews

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.