Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer's rules (PDF) say that cards removed from the table by a Market Crash are put in a discard pile. It doesn't say when (if?) these are cards are re-used. Do they get shuffled back in immediately, or only when the draw pile is exhausted?

(Pitt Crandlemire's translation/Essen experience has it that the removed cards are immediately shuffled back into the draw pile. I can see the advantage of doing that, but the term 'discard pile' implies something that grows from round to round. I played this game two years ago, but I don't remember what rules set we used or what we did with the discards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Munday
England
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
If you played your game of Moderne Zeiten with either me or Jennie, then you will have definitely formed a discard pile, effectively removing the crashed shares from the game as I cannot remember ever having to shuffle the discard pile to form a new draw deck.

I'm not saying that this is the correct way to play, just the way that we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe it was with both you and Jennie. I liked the game (all credit to your presentation of it, no doubt , and recently managed to pick it up on eBay.

This thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/17855 mentioned the possible situation of all the Aero cards having being dealt and, following a number of market crashes, no-one having an Aero majority. The game-end condition in the designer's rules could only be met if the discards re-entered the game.

I assume it would be best to end the game once the draw pile was gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Rothrock
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
GM For Life!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
sorry to chime in... I have had this game for a number of years, however I've only played it a couple of times... just played it the other night...

We played that a market crash results in the affected shares being shuffled immediately into the draw deck. Seemed to us that a lock-up can result (not likely but possibly) as described in your earlier posts. In addition, if shares are leaving play (even for a short time) it introduces the need/desire to count cards into the mix of mechanics/player action.

Admittedly, we were using the translation/notes found here on the geek and figuring things out as we go. To my group's mind, the game features market manipulation as a big factor (through playing shares) and having to count cards seems like an unnecessary complication.

Just my two cents, I'll be posting more on this game now that I've gotten it to our group's table.

Cheers,
Grafzepp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Rothrock
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
GM For Life!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a follow on: HEre are the rules as I've parsed them so far. Might be wrong, and there seems to be still a couple of interesting questions to deal with but, FWIW,

AUCTION PHASE:
start player takes Business Initiative placard (I’ll replace this with something)
Start player rolls die and turns up that many shares
Start player begins auction, but may pass
Once a player passes, they may not bid again
Auction winner takes shares into his hand
Auction winner takes the Business Initiative placard

PLAYER PHASE
The player with the Business Initiative placard (auction winner from the Auction Phase)starts and choose between two actions:
Choice One: Draw two (2) cards from the share stack

Choice Two: Play share cards
Play as many share cards as desired
Determine which industries you have achieved a majority in and move zeppelin to any industry you have majority in
Place big tile in the space you occupy
Place little tile (soon to be disc) on the reward grid in the center of the board
Adjust market status zeppelin (white) the total number of shares played

NOTE: A player must have a majority in an industry AND play a share card (in any industry) in order to move.

IF Market Crash
determine the industry with the greatest number of shares on the table
remove ALL shares of the that industry
reshuffle those cards into the share stack
move the market status zeppelin backward from 25, the number of share cards reshuffled into the stack

The next player clockwise takes their turn until all have had a turn.
AUCTION PHASE begins again

End Game
Once the first person reaches the end space, the game ends and scoring begins
A player must have a majority in an industry and play a share card (in any industry) in order to move.  As long as there are no legal spaces onto which the player might move, they may proceed to the final space and end the game.

Happy to hear any feedback.

Cheers,
Grafzepp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.