Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Why does playing against the AI influence your multiplayer ranking? That doesn't make sense to me. Has this been asked before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjeyhmis wrote:
Why does playing against the AI influence your multiplayer ranking? That doesn't make sense to me. Has this been asked before?

Why shouldn't it? The ranking algorithm doesn't care who's playing, only how well they do, and that's useful information in determining the order (the ranking) of all players; if I play Serf Bot and consistently lose, and you play Serf Bot and consistently win, then the ranking algorithm can happily rank us
1: You
2: Serf Bot
3: Me
despite us never having played against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Some of the Serf Bots are easier than others though (yes, and some players are too, I know).
My point it that, for instance, in the adventures, a one-vs-one game consisted of the bot trashing almost everything and buying only spies, then switching to buying all the villages or something useless like that.

I could deliberately go and play that level in the adventure again - for whatever reason; it doesn't matter. It's not a good measure of a player for random set games if they can be rated in predictable games.

A ranking system only makes sense if games are ranked only if they are random games and outcomes are not plannable.

Maybe my question should rather ask: why are adventure games and 'personal' games counted? Maybe I'm thinking too much about how well other video games (such as WarCraft III on BattleNet) ranks players: network games against people you plan to play with don't count; only games against random match-ups count (sure, you can pick the map and faction). That makes sense for a meaningful ranking system.

Maybe that's what the tournament games do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjeyhmis wrote:
Some of the Serf Bots are easier than others though (yes, and some players are too, I know).
My point it that, for instance, in the adventures, a one-vs-one game consisted of the bot trashing almost everything and buying only spies, then switching to buying all the villages or something useless like that.

I could deliberately go and play that level in the adventure again - for whatever reason; it doesn't matter. It's not a good measure of a player for random set games if they can be rated in predictable games.

It's some measure, though. For instance, a player that loses that level in the adventure is unlikely to be very good in random set games.

Quote:

A ranking system only makes sense if games are ranked only if they are random games and outcomes are not plannable.

Someone (be it bot or human) who gets beaten all the time will get a low rank, and it's not going have much affect on your rank unless you lose to it, so replaying easy wins has a negligible impact overall.

Quote:

[for other games] only games against random match-ups count (sure, you can pick the map and faction). That makes sense for a meaningful ranking system.

It depends what meaning you ascribe to the ranking. If the ranking is also some sort of league table, those sort of restrictions are sensible. But if the only purpose is matchmaking - finding closely matched players for enjoyable games, and I think that is Goko's aim - then it doesn't matter. Idiots can and will game the system to attempt to get a high rank (cos high ranking means they're leet, yeah), but only to the detriment of their own enjoyment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.