Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd create a thread filled with positive talk about this upcoming game.

I've loved Robotech ever since I was a kid. I used to walk up to the video shop every weekend and hire a VHS or 2 of the original series. They would get played to death for the following week and I couldnt wait for the following weekend when I could get more.

So I propose we fill this thread with fond memories of robotech as a kid (or adult), positive thoughts on where this kickstarter is going and ideas for scenarios based on the series.

I'm thinking of making a scenario using just the exclusive Rick & Roy figures rushing to save Minmei from getting stomped by a battlepod then escaping the field (ala episode 2, I think). It'd be win-win really. Rick and Roy survive = WIN. Minmei dies = WIN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for threads of positive nostalgia. It's pretty clear most people thinking about buying the game are doing it out of nostalgia rather than, say, price or trust that the ruleset will be great.

However, a "positive kickstarter thread" sounds like post-purchase rationalization for backers. I'd rather the haters dial back their apoplectic indignation and have a rational thread where both sides present their evidence so people can make up their mind.

I used to draw VFA-6 Alpha / VFB-9 Beta when I had free time in art class. No one else knew what the heck I was drawing, just that I draw awesome aircraft every week.

I watched the Macross: Do Remember Love movie some years back. My friend cheered when Rick slapped Minmei back to her senses. (Not that domestic violence is right, but letting the human race go hang because you want to win the love triangle is pretty selfish.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, someone posts that they'd like to talk positively about something they're excited about and you rush in to make the first post a bitch session and be a downer.

You must be a blast at parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, now Jay. You're talking to a WW1 flying ace who teaches mathematics. Don't get him angry. He might unleash his rabbit on you.

Besides, I didnt think it sound that negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm a mathematics teacher, which is why I'm concerned when people embrace cognitive biases. If you want downer posts, I can provide links to them; the negative threads are full of people feeding on each other's venom. Instead, I'm demonstrating the kind of thread I desire: rational, objective discussion that allows for input from both sides. Just because I'm less gung ho about the game than you doesn't make my post a "bitch session."

Also, my rabbit is friendly. The worst he'll do is shed on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how bout we get back to what the OP (aka me) started this thread for.

Positive thoughts people. Positive!

I'm thinking a scenrio book as a stretch goal could be pretty cool too. Play out some hallmark battles from the series. A scenario of when Khyron made his counter attack and boards the SDF-1 during a daedulus attack would be pretty fun. Though expensive to buy all the destroids.

What other battles could make interesting scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:
What other battles could make interesting scenarios?

Vermillion's rescue attempt of Lisa in Breetai's Flagship would make for a very interesting scenario I think. See if the UEDF could change the outcome...

Though that might require Zentraedi Infantry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great time watching the show, watching the show on VHS, and then playing the RPG. Man, did we play the RPG. And after Rifts came out, we Rifted the SDF-3 into the Phase World setting and had even more of a blast with it.

I can't say enough how stoked I am for this game. Even if it's terrible, I'll simply play with the minis as I watch the DVDs...

fusag wrote:
I watched the Macross: Do Remember Love movie some years back. My friend cheered when Rick slapped Minmei back to her senses.

I'll go on record saying I loathe Minmei, so I was pleased as punch when that happened myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rand's "Get a job" quote makes me laugh every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A tablet app would be a good stretch goal I think. Something similar to the Zombicide app but more customizable.

Something where you could select your point value then add the individual squadrons, add ons etc. Save the list. Then have a seperate screen where you can mark off the damage the units take or ammo used during the game. Just have to swipe between "cards" on the screen. Save cluttering up the table with cards and marking them off with a pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A scenario book is a no brainer. I'm thinking about picking up one of the RPG books for that reason. Are they written like scenarios?

Great idea on the save minmae mission! I am going to start looking for a 6mm annoying Asian princess model now!

I didn't watch Robotech growing up. I found the kickstarter and got hooked. I've watched like twenty episodes now. What an awesome world.

The rules look excellent. I play dystopian wars, and the Robotech rules seem fast paced. If they bog the one section down with RPG stuff, it should be easy to strip out the fluff.

I have already begun a 6mm landscape using 1'x1' interlocking children's foam playmats. It is going to be urban all the way to mountains. I'll be able to use it for any 6mm war game, but Robotech is the inspiration.

I am buying all in to Robotech with the idea that it is my next miniatures game. Dystopian wars will always be there, I love it. With Robotech I am buying solid armies for both sides. It is one thing I really like about the KS. The box set provides both armies. I want to be able to show up at a FLGS and say 'who wants to play Robotech!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan, don't forget that the game will also allow for Malcontents as a 3rd faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don McCalmon
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for this game, and feel the Kickstarter is being run just fine. It's not as lucrative as others I've seen, but that doesn't make it terrible. I don't mind the purchase stretch goals, and they are throwing in plenty of free stuff as well. I'm looking forward to the next 19 days to see what else they come up with.

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember rushing home after school to watch Robotech. My brothers and I must've watched the entire series 2 or 3 times all the way through EXPECTING The Sentinels to begin once the series ended again and again... which never did.

I'll admit, I'm a backer almost solely on nostalgia and if the game sucks, I'll still have all those cool minis! They'll look great on my shelf next to my Toynami Masterpiece Cyclones, Veritechs, and Alphas; as well as my Bandai 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie (IOB) and those cool mini clear super deformed Valks I also still have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the new Strength in numbers goals.

If we get to 3200 backers then we'll be getting 4 free artillery support battlepods, 2 Spartans AND 2 Phalance destroids.

Plus laminated cards and plastic blast template.

And we are less than 25k away from getting Khyron!!!

This Kickstarter just keeps better and better. Just upped my pledge to Showdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:
Love the new Strength in numbers goals.

If we get to 3200 backers then we'll be getting 4 free artillery support battlepods, 2 Spartans AND 2 Phalance destroids.

Plus laminated cards and plastic blast template.

And we are less than 25k away from getting Khyron!!!

This Kickstarter just keeps better and better. Just upped my pledge to Showdown.

Couldn't agree more. I only wish I had more money to throw at it cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:

I'll admit, I'm a backer almost solely on nostalgia and if the game sucks, I'll still have all those cool minis!

To be quite honest, based on skimming the rules I'm pretty sure this is going to be an attrition focused dice fest which I have no interest in.

I am pledging for the models though! Between X-Wing and Mobile Frame Zero, I'm sure there's a fast playing maneuver based game I can stat-up quickly. I'm only bummed they're not closer to 1/200 scale so I coule use them with my pre-painted Macross VF squadron I picked up in Japan on advice of this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10472969#10472969

Still, I can always use my fighters and everything else from this system, and having this many Zentradi / Generic evil robot swarm units for miniatures is alone worth the price of admission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
I am pledging for the models though! Between X-Wing and Mobile Frame Zero, I'm sure there's a fast playing maneuver based game I can stat-up quickly.

Ooh, MFZ! Maybe Veritech transformation allows the unit to change some systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:
I am pledging for the models though! Between X-Wing and Mobile Frame Zero, I'm sure there's a fast playing maneuver based game I can stat-up quickly.

Ooh, MFZ! Maybe Veritech transformation allows the unit to change some systems.

Yeah, I've kicked around a few ideas, like each mode swaps two different colors of the 6 sided dice, for one 4 and one 8.

I'm also toying with a modification to make each MFZ unit a squad so the individual minis would represent the hit points of the squad, and let you have massive battles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:

To be quite honest, based on skimming the rules I'm pretty sure this is going to be an attrition focused dice fest which I have no interest in.

I am pledging for the models though! Between X-Wing...

Yep, I am hoping someone does a Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game mod for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:

I'm not at all sold on the rules as initially presented, being overly heavy on bookkeeping .

OTOH, the rules are a very alpha peek, so expect to see substantial revision prior to production & release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:

I'm not at all sold on the rules as initially presented, being overly heavy on bookkeeping .

OTOH, the rules are a very alpha peek, so expect to see substantial revision prior to production & release.

Seriously?! For a thread looking for positive feedback you can't help but be negative? Please take your negativity somewhere it is wanted.

I've actually started watching Macross. So different to watching HGs Robotech. In a good way though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse me? I said I expect changes to a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:
I've actually started watching Macross. So different to watching HGs Robotech. In a good way though.

I'm about halfway through myself. Over the years having both this and Robotech lodged in my brain has caused uncessessary confusion when talking with friends who had only seen Robotech (which I'll be watching again after I finish this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:

Seriously?! For a thread looking for positive feedback you can't help but be negative?

Sorry, I guess I don't see my opinion about the rules as negative... they're not to my taste but many satisfied Flames of War and Warhammer players seem to be very happy with that style of game.

I think I'm actually foolishly optimistic. I mean I'm pledging hundreds of dollars for a bunch of unpainted minis and a ruleset I think will almost certainly not be to my taste.

To throw some more magical friendship into the mix shall we speculate what all these Rick Hunter suiting up teasers are about?

No, of course not. No need to speculate...

It's Super Veritech's with Fast Packs of course!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.