Fish Eat Fish» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why is the starfish frowning? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin the Mudswain
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
He's caught between two hungry fish, I imagine. Some might say it's because he's bored with game, but they should have known better and played Caylus in the first place. Praise Be To Caylus.

Now, Fish Eat Fish is a kids' game, and one with plenty of strategic depth for the age group. I don't know anything about the mental development of the age group.

The set-up portion of the game requires plenty of choices and strategic planning and the ensuing fish battles require memory and good guesswork, and out-thinking of the opponent. Why do I sound like I'm defending the game against its critics who say it doesn't have enough strategic depth? I don't know, I haven't even read any such criticism --all I know is that it is poorly rated.

Reiner Knizia has also used the combat card mechanic in LOTR: The Confrontation, though I dought it originated there, or even with him, I'm just pointing out the one detail I know about the mechanic. I like the mechanic and the art work on the 0 card especially.

The stackable fish are simply wonderful --they are alive and fierce looking and brightly colored, and they are in fact why I bought the game. I played it with my 5-year-old sister and she enjoyed playing with the fish and making me act out her stories about them more than the game.

I should not review the game after only one play (and one theatrical-type Play, if you will), but I can already say that it is a fine strategy game for the 8+ age group indicated on the box, though it might have more appeal to a slightly younger crowd who can still be enchanted by the theme and enjoy the pieces as toys.

I recommended it, but I don't recommend that you pay any attention to my recommendations (unless I wrote something above you agree with, which would surprise me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you stand exactly where, then?

-ZZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Smith
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes hello! I am still concerned about this starfish of whom you speak but would buy the game up if for nothing but the Stackable Fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
My four-year-old twins can play this (although any strategy would be a coincidence). They love the starfish and play octopus cards whenever possible in an attempt to cheer it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
My four-year-old twins love the starfish and play octopus cards whenever possible in an attempt to cheer it up.

Awww... even I think that's cute, and I'm male!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.