Subject: Arresting the murderer variant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Hammond
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have a variant we used which was even better than I first thought it would be.

In the first few games we played we felt the arrest of the murderer was kind of anti-climatic. When he is all alone, you only need a 2 or better for the arrest, which is almost automatic.

We changed it so the murderer can only be arrested on a roll of 6, still only after all street punks have been arrested. So basically if there are 3 street punks and the murderer you would need at least 3 fives and 1 six to arrest them all at once.

What happened in our second game that we used this variant is the murderer was on Bad hood 1 with 3 punks and we were on player 1 of 6 and that person was officer Kinney. The crime rate was also one away from fail.

We played all of our arrest cards for 10 dice on the arrest attempt.

Rolled one 5 and one 6 and everything else was less than 5. That took 2 of the 3 punks off the board.

The murderer and 1 punk left. The card draw was an a purple event that didn't cause the urgent marker to be moved. Kinney had a donut anyway so we didn't really have to worry. We were confident of the win.

The next player played a stakeout to get rid of the last punk and rolled 4 dice for the arrest. No sixes. Air support was played for 3 more dice. No sixes.

Luckily another purple event that didn't cause the crime rate to go up. I can't remember the card.

3rd player goes in for the arrest. Rolls 5 dice since 2 officers are already there and again, no sixes. They used surveillance and were able to bury an event which would have moved the urgent marker and caused crime rate to go up.

4th player couldn't make it to the scene but again, the event card worked in our favor.

The 5th player went for the arrest. 7 dice. No sixes. Luckily one player had drawn an air support card and 3 more dice were rolled.

Finally a six.

I really enjoyed using this variant as the murderer was able to give us quite a chase in the end.

We are really enjoying this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this, there is usually a lot of tension at the end of the game then you roll 2+ and it's over. Feels...a little bit empty.
I'm going to use this in the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd,

I love your experimental nature!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thanks for taking the time to hatch this idea and test it.

Do you mind if we publish it as an Official Variant in our next expansion pack?

(pending more testing / feedback of course)

And...

It's like you read my mind...

I plan to announce, tomorrow Probably, a new expansion idea and our desire for play-testers.

I hope you will be one of them.

Thanks again!

Karl

Karl Fenner, Director
Common Man Games
Denver, CO USA
karl@commonman.com
www.commonman.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a brilliant idea! And I really can imagine the tension during your final round. You're soooo close but yet so far Thanks for sharing this, will definitely try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hammond
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Karl, it is perfectly fine to use this as you like and I would be more than happy to play-test any expansion. Thanks.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Todd!

By the way, I have a good friend named "Todd Harmon"

Pretty close to your name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd,

The rules state that if you attempt to arrest Punks and fail to arrest any, you go to the hospital.

The rules do NOT state this about the murderer.

Thus...

One could (and should) conclude (as you seem to have) that an attempt at arresting the murderer that fails will NOT result in anyone needing to go to the hospital.

If we publish this variant (which looks very likely), we will want to make that clear, since this variant will make it a common-place thing to attempt to arrest the murderer and fail.

We will need to give this variant a cool name!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Any suggestions?

PS - we will be excited to hear any and all feedback on this variant from all who try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal B
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the "finalizing Six" too hard in less players game?
I would prefer some scalability (e.g. "roll at least {the number of players} or above to arrest the murderer" or similar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myszak wrote:
Isn't the "finalizing Six" too hard in less players game?
I would prefer some scalability (e.g. "roll at least {the number of players} or above to arrest the murderer" or similar)

Clever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hammond
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Karl - Of course you are welcome to change this however you wish for your official variant, but I will probably always play this with needing a six.

We played a 3 player game last night and had an easier victory than the 6 player game. Of course it only took 6 dice to roll a six this game.

As for cool names, I'm afraid I'm not good at that.

Elusive murderer?

I have several other ideas but I haven't been able to try them out yet. Most are geared toward making it more difficult and are probably not viable for the regular player.

We are used to fruitless endeavors. It took over 50 plays before we won Defenders of the Realm Dragon Expansion with all 4 Dragon Generals but we kept coming back for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the "Smooth Criminal" variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Todd!

to your point...

Every group is different.

Skill levels vary, experience varies, and desire for abuse varies.

I would be interested in hearing back from you with a fully blown abuse factory.

It would be...

"The Defenders of the Realm Dragon Expansion" for Police Precinct.

In other words, it would be something that you could really brag about winning.

Something that only the most expert groups could even have a chance at ever winning.

Then...

What ever you come up with would be the first in the "Masters Series", which would be a variety of expansions and variants that are considered near impossible to win, and only for "Masters Level Players".

Our support of the game is wide in scope. We would love to see families playing together, all the way up to your group struggling to ever win "The Ultimate Challenge"!!!!

PS - Maybe we end up publishing your variant in two forms. The lighter more balanced version which might work really well for some groups, but then also in it's pure form (must have a 6 no matter how many are playing). This would work really well for those who want an even tougher challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling a six to arrest the murderer is the only way my group plays. It makes using the "air support" card a much harder choice. Do I use it now (on emergencies of difficulty five or six) or wait til we arrest the murderer.

How close are we to failing the crime track? Hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
Todd,

We will need to give this variant a cool name!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Any suggestions?

PS - we will be excited to hear any and all feedback on this variant from all who try it.

I'd like to suggest a couple: the "Justice Be Done" or "Case Closed" variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in different murderer variants...
...there are a couple of different murderers that behave differently and must be arrested differently in the "Modular Board" expansion posted in the file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
If you're interested in different murderer variants...
...there are a couple of different murderers that behave differently and must be arrested differently in the "Modular Board" expansion posted in the file section.

Good point!

and...

Thanks Lines!!!

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls