Spy or Die Trying» Forums » General

Subject: any review of the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any chance of getting this game reviewed by a third party? e.g. tom, undead vikings

I'm on the fence but not sure about the game play and mechanics.

also sorry to offend, but the art and title seems a bit goofy to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Tyler
United Kingdom
Port Isaac
Cornwall
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, we will be getting review copies sent out as soon as we can even though the game is still on Kickstarter and we haven't printed yet.

The game has taken inspiration from the best 1960s and 1970s spy shows like James Bond, Man form Uncle and a more modern view of the 60s like Austin Powers - goofy and slightly tongue in cheek is kind of the point At the Salute wagames show in London we got lots of smirks and grins when people saw our stand - everyone "got it"

Once we have got some reviews done, we will post them here - thanks for your question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you make a print-and-play version of the game? That would allow more people to try it.

And frankly, I think the art is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galland
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi Timur Tabi,

Yes we'll definitely do a print-and-play version. We may add it to the KS pledge levels.

Regarding the style, I realize that 60's 'spy-fi' isn't everyone's cup of tea. But it's something I have a great fondness for and have wanted to theme a game on for a long time. The response so far has been encouraging.

I'm hoping that the expansion sets will allow us to explore some interesting permutations - catering for darker, more serious scenarios as well as the zanier aspects of the genre.

Cheers

Wolfrik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
if anybody is not sure about pledging or what the game mechanics is about - worry not. It is based on the fabulous game Hour of Glory with enough new tweaks and game mechanics to make it very different and super entertaining.

And no, i dont want any print and play version. The quality of board and some components in 12 year old Hour of Glory can put to shame the new titles (Alabaster Wars board anybody? ;D)

i hope its ok to copy paste a mail from Warm Acre describing this game:
"Its similar to HoG in the the fact that it is the same game, but progressed after 12 years of re-thinking and looking at the rules differently. The room layout is similar but a lot less doors and smaller rooms, also the rooms are set as generator, guardroom, science lab etc. The combat system is quite different, action sequence is different, there are scientists and technicians doing new activities: creating a doomsday weapon, cctv cameras, traps. Characters don't have stats, but 'talents' which you can choose each game. However, taking time and chance is the same as well as the timer itself - but these are fundamental aspects of the game system."

also take a look at the Robert Florence view about HoG (remember Spy or Die Trying is so much better). ANY game which got to Robert's review is a killer game, the best of the best. http://vimeo.com/5374155
WARM ACRE nailed the fabulous game mechanics pitting your common sense against the risk of taking actions.

As is now , this game is almost funded on KS, but it would really break my heart to see it fail a few pounds short of its stretch goal. The Warm Acre games are very unique and very is nothign even remotely similar on the market gameplay-mechanics wise. it is like a super advanced Space Hulk with double blind rules but... manageable from the perspective of one person. Of course to make the aforementioned statement true, it does have a sort of Ai control program. BUT its very nicely executed and i don't fell the boredom and predictability of Ai control presented in some new game designs i.e. "Gears of War".

Whan i am at describing War Macre Games, i strongly urge you to take the "Game Bundle". It is an amazing deal, you get all the best warmacre games AND specially for that case prepared printed version of Bunkerstorm revised rules. i mean... you WANT that Hour of Glory. The shipping is free and the games are as cheap as they get. now go for it! ;D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.