BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me out with a gaming Valentine's Day gift. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I like playing games together, so I figured I would (among a few other things) put together a nice little valentine-themed game set for her for Valentine's Day. I ordered two pairs of those oversized "sweetheart" dice from Koplow (the ones with white hearts [for pips] on red dice, and red hearts on white dice), a nifty roll-up backgammon board in red and white, got some various red and white stones from a craft store to use as counters, etc, and I'll put it all in a nice fabric-coated wine bottle gift box for permament storage purposes.

What I need suggestions on are some other games that I could include in this set fairly easily / inexpensively that could also be easily "themed" in red / white or in heart-shaped tokens / counters / whatnot. It'd probably be best if they were more abstract strategy games that were public domain (or easy to be reproduced at home). It'd also be great if they used some of the various parts I already have (dice, small counters, etc). I was considering ordering a 13 x 13 vinyl go board (since neither of us have played go yet), and buying a bunch more stone counters to use with it. Are there any other suggestions along these lines?

Thanks in advance.

-Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leaning towards the 13x13 Go board, as of right now. You could play Go on it, of course, but also (using only the inner 11x11 set of points) you could play Hneftafl (it seems). I think Hex would be fun, too, but I'd have to procure an 11x11 hex grid for relatively cheap. Any ideas? Factory-seconds from Chessex? Is there a better option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
This place is great for all of yoyr hex/graph paper needs:
http://www.incompetech.com/beta/hexagonalGraphPaper/hex.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verive wrote:
This place is great for all of yoyr hex/graph paper needs:
http://www.incompetech.com/beta/hexagonalGraphPaper/hex.html

That's nice and all, but I was hoping for something a bit more elaborate than a piece of paper (or cardstock). Thanks for the link, though.

I did order the 13x13 Go board earlier, and I think I'll call Chessex, 'cause their site says they have some 1" hex mat factory seconds for like $9 each.

Any more suggestions as far as actual games are concerned?

-Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Valentine-themed M&Ms for Go stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No ideas directly related to the game bits you are talking about, but me, given that I have previously made DIY versions of Hive, Dschunke: Das Legespiel, and Pingvinas, I would seriously consider re-theme-ing any or all of those games. Sure they aren't PD, but they would be very cute! If I could find little cupid figures, I'd be cutting out hexes with 1,2, and 3 hearts on them in a flash.

Oooh...or maybe cupid has to recover arrows! So he has enough for Valentines day! Yeah, that's it!

Hahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lsamadi wrote:
No ideas directly related to the game bits you are talking about, but me, given that I have previously made DIY versions of Hive, Dschunke: Das Legespiel, and Pingvinas, I would seriously consider re-theme-ing any or all of those games. Sure they aren't PD, but they would be very cute! If I could find little cupid figures, I'd be cutting out hexes with 1,2, and 3 hearts on them in a flash.

Interesting. I could re-purpose some of the leftover hexes after I cut out the 11x11 from the battle mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've ordered the Go board and the hex mat, and I have plenty of red and gold (couldn't get enough white [though I do have enough for backgammon], but I had plenty of gold already) stones. That makes Backgammon, Go, and Hex so far, at least. I think I will, in fact, do some kind of DIY version of Pingvinas if I have enough hexes left over (it's what, 60 hexes total? anyone know the count of each type [1 fish, 2 fish, 3 fish] of hex?), probably with a floral or heart theme, I think. Other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet... the battlemat had a TON more actual hexes on it than I anticipated. I'm going to cut an 11x11 rhombus board for Hex, a 9x9 "square" board for Chase (I'm picking up some small dice for that), and probably even a 7x7x7x7x7x7 hex board for Havannah and Hexade (yes, it's one hex too small, but I don't think an 8-hex-per-side board will fit; I'll sure try to make it work, though) out of just the one battlemat. I should even have enough scrap hexes left to do something with, maybe the Pingvinas idea.

That brings the final game list to this:

Backgammon
Go (13x13)
Hex (11x11)
Chase (9x9)
Havannah (8)
Hexade (7)

Plus any number of other games that could be played on the various boards (Tanbo and Frames looked interesting for using the Go board, though they'd have to be shrunk in scale to fit the 13x13 board), plus any number of games that could be played with 10 dice in two different colors (two-player Liar's Dice would suck, but you could play four-player with twenty dice, not sure what else of interest could go here).

All that's left to do now is edit and format the various rule pages for inclusion in the tube. I really should take a picture of all this; it's going to be smashing.

-Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one's been replying with any more suggestions or whatnot, so I'm not sure if anyone cares... but here's the final game list (yes, they can actually all be played with what I've put together):

On the Go board:

Go
Tanbo
Frames
Gonnect
Pente
Hnefatafl
Influence [Go variant]
Royal [Go variant]
Oshiqi

On the 8x8 hexagon:

Havannah
Hexade
Unlur
Wabanti
Batalo
Knockabout (I used all d6's, actually)
Andantino
Iqishiqi

On the 11x11 rhombus:

Hex
Quadrant [Hex variant]
Jade
Slime Trail
Anchor [rhombus variant]

On the backgammon board:

Backgammon
Tabula
Fevja
Plokato

On the 9x9 square of hexes:

Chase

All the rules have been re-typed to fit on a single page (some required some massive editing / shrinking, but all of them are still understandable) and have been formatted to match with each other nicely, graphically speaking.

-Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I can't figure out how to put thumbnails (or even text-links to the pictures!) in here, and I don't want to overload somebody's slow connection with a dozen 1280x960 pictures, I'll just give y'all a teaser picture and a link to the directory where you can see the rest of the pictures, if you are so inclined.

Teaser:

Directory:

www.loyno.edu/~nmstraig/images/valentine

There you have it. Enjoy!

-Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.