Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
New to the game (only have the core set) and enjoying the whole experience. I’m keen to expand my collection and get into a bit of deck building. I’m most likely to be playing Solo as the wife’s not a fan.

Should I be going for the deluxe expansions, particular adventure packs or new saga’s.

Happy to buy a few at once but not all of them straight away ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wait a month or two and get Hunt for Gollum to begin the mirkwood cycle (1st cycle after the core's adventures). Currently it's out of print, but will be reprinted very soon.

If you don't want to wait, you can skip ahead to Khazad dum deluxe expansion which is required for the next adventure cycle.

I chose to begin the hobbit sagas. Very fun, but very difficult with only the core to draw from. I recommend getting both sagas immediately to increase your card pool should you go this route.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I second the recommendation of waiting a few months for the reprint and going with the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle (green adventure packs). If you want to play them right now and don't worry about playing them in order, you should be able to find A Journey to Rhosgobel and The Hills of Emyn Muil in stock and a few places (I know CSI has both). Two others (The Hunt for Gollum and Return to Mirkwood) are scheduled for a reprint during Q2, probably around July. The other two are not scheduled for a reprint yet. Eventually, you are going to want to purchase all 6 adventure packs of this cycle so you can play them in order for the storyline.

If you were to go for adventure packs in the Dwarrowdelf Cycle (brown adventure packs), you would need the Khazad-dûm deluxe expansion first. Khazad-dûm by itself doesn't seem to add a lot in terms of heroes and player cards. But some of my favorite cards come from the Dwarrowdelf Cycle, especially The Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame.

The Hobbit saga expansions don't add much of a variety of player cards. They follow the book well, so they focus on dwarves. By themselves, they would be really hard to play. And if you want to build a good dwarf deck, I'd highly recommend getting Khazad-dûm to assist the Hobbit expansions.

Finally, stay away from the Print on Demand expansions (The Massing at Osgiliath and The Battle of Lake-town). Those only contain encounter cards - no heroes or player cards. Once you get a decent number of additional cards and can start building good decks, give these a shot. But until then, it is best to wait as they are extremely challenging and don't add anything to your card pool.

If you don't mind the extra cost and tons of extra cards that you won't use, you might also want to consider buying a second core set. There are several cards that would be really helpful to own a second copy of (such as Celebrian's Stone, Dwarven Tomb, Unexpected Courage, and Henemarth Riversong) and others that would be really helpful to own a third copy of (such as Sneak Attack, Steward of Gondor, Northern Tracker, and The Galadhrim's Greeting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a matter of taste. It may be good to wait for Mirkwood cycle reprints, but Hobbit saga expansions are nice altarnative and my own recommendation. You have to have both before you have a fighting change of getting thought the first saga encounters! But they offer a lot of to play with and a good deal of player cards to make your own decks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.