Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Scharpf
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have two questions:

1. I decided to get Attack! and the Expansion for my flatmates birthday, since it was the only game of that kind available in english in a reasonable amount of time. But if you scream realy loud now: "DONT DO IT!" then I might reconsider my decision. I've seen a couple of articles and reviews about it here, and I thought that its big fun and works good if I include some of the homerules you guys came up with. Because I like many of the basic ideas of it and the artwork looks great. But if you think something else would be realy better, than please tell me. Memoir '44 is not an option because I want to play it with more then two people (min. 4).

2. If I buy it (very likely) I will play with my friends next week for the first time. Which basic, advanced and home rules should I include in the first "learning" game?

thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Scharpf
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
I thought about using the small map with the rules of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Syracuse
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Nexus Ops. It is a fairly new and overlooked light wargame that plays quickly and with quite a punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Scharpf
Switzerland
Luzern
flag msg tools
Sci-fi and fantasy is ruled out, not because of me though. But its not my birthday after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DON'T DO IT!

Get Conquest of the Emipe instead - much, much better game with the same quality components as Attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the theme is not overwhelmingly important than Conquest of the Empire (classic rules) is a MUCH better "take over the world" game and the components are even nicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wunsch
Germany
Fulda
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks ago I had to make a similar decision.
Since my group cried for some modern warfare game with simple rules Attack!+Expansion seemed to be a good solution.
It has proved to be one, but not without a few important rule changes (threaded turns, economic tokens, naval battle update) to make it a game of grand strategy.
In case of a four player game I would always use the whole world map.

Nevertheless, if you and your friends have played similar "Conquer the world" games over and over and have not yet found a masterpiece you should better choose those recommended Conquest of the Empire.
After all Attack! is being far from perfect but still worth playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.