GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,322 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Your First Love rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Camick
United States
International Falls
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first introduction into the gaming world was Axis and Allies when I was about 15 or 16 years old, I really loved it but due to a lack of interest from friends and family I had only played it twice. After that I didn't play any games, besides Monopoly and games of that nature. It wasn't until I was 23 that I was introduced to Risk, Lord of the Rings Risk to be exact and I couldn't get enough of it. I played that game almost every day for a year, then two of my friends, who heard me talk about how much I loved playing Axis and Allies when I was younger, pitched in to buy me a copy of the first Avalon Hill revised edition of Axis and Allies. Since then I have been a part of a good group of gamers and have played a number of really fun and interesting games.

What was your first love? Tell your story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
My first introduction to thr hobby was though the Call of Cthulhu: Collectible Card Game back in 04. Then I picked up Arkham Horror because of my appreciation for the Mythos. Not long after I gave in and started playing MTG because I couldn't find anyone wanting to play anything else. I did pick up Dreamblade around that time which i still think is a great game. I liked that board and card games allowed for some interaction with my friends vs just sitting in the couch playing video games and not really talking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Tower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ott
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually made up my own pirate-themed roleplaying game before I really had a clue what I was doing, and then I inherited a bunch of Magic: The Gathering cards from my older brother, then made up a D&D-style RPG, after getting way into an old copy of HeroQuest Advanced Quest with my younger brother, and finally broke down and bought a new copy of the Dungeons & Dragons (3rd Edition) box set and played D&D for years after until I got burnt out on tabletop RPGs because I made them too much work, and that led me to designig my own boardgames, which led me to buying and playing tons of them. I never really thought about the fact that designing games got me into playing them. Seems backwards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolling Twenty
United States
California
flag msg tools
camickcwr wrote:
My first introduction into the gaming world was Axis and Allies when I was about 15 or 16 years old, I really loved it but due to a lack of interest from friends and family I had only played it twice.

I remember when I first opened up Axis & Allies. I think I was 8 or 9. The first thing I thought when I opened the box was...Holy ****! Cool pieces!

Then I looked at the instructions and my second thought was...Holy ****! Nevermind!

I did eventually get around to playing it but as you said, it's not an easy game to get other people to play.

Risk of course, is a timeless classic. I guess my real game love though was playing Chess with my Dad who I constantly endeavoured to beat but never did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Camick
United States
International Falls
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling20 wrote:

Risk of course, is a timeless classic. I guess my real game love though was playing Chess with my Dad who I constantly endeavoured to beat but never did.

LOL Yeah I remember playing chess with my Uncle like that. We used to play it quite a bit and I would also constantly endeavor to beat him but never once did. It got to the point where it got boring for him and he never wanted to play against me despite my constant begging. He is the Uncle who introduced Axis and Allies to me, as well as The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings which sealed my fate as a geek from that point on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I look back have to say that I am a gamer since I was born. I allways played games. At first ist was children games and than I encountered more mature games. I learned chess and canasta wuite early. When I was about 10 years old I loved Oil: The Great Adventure. I got my first risk when I was about 12. With 14 I developed an interesst in RPGs and my boardgame interesst drifted towards games like Blood Bowl, HeroQuest Advanced Quest and Battle Masters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the early 80's it wasn't unusual for schools to ban Dungeons and Dragons being played on premises and ours was no exception. So, on rainy days we would play Dungeon! during recess which wasn't considered "evil" like D&D was. That was probably the first non Monopoly/Life/Battleship/Chinese Checkers game I ever played. My Dad, noticing I had an interest in board games, gave me Risk one Christmas (the one with Roman numerals to represent armies) and I was hooked. Growing up my brother and would play Stratego and then into middle school it was Axis & Allies.

So, my first love is a tie between Risk and Dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I always loved mass market board games as a kid, and I got heavily into Magic: the Gathering in college. But my introduction to modern board games came when a friend from Magic introduced me to Citadels (well, actually the German version with a translation sheet accompanying the game).

These days, I actually don't like Citadels all that much, but this was the game that opened the door. From there, my friend introduced me and my soon-to-be wife to a wide variety of excellent board games. I'm so glad he did!

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was little, our family often played the usual board games, especially Aggravation. My grandpa made us a wooden/formica board that was cool to get out of the closet. In the early 80s I played some D&D with high school friends, but didn't get into it as much as some. A friend also showed us Car Wars and Rail Baron (which I eventually bought). In college, Monopoly was taken seriously on our dorm floor. But after college, I couldn't find anyone who would play it by the book and with strategic intent.

Then in 1997 or 98 a niece brought Settlers of Catan to the family Christmas. It was a huge hit (of course). We bought it and taught it to all our friends. Added the expansions and played it a ton.

But we didn't discover more titles until about 5 or 6 years ago. We added Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. About two years ago I discovered BGG and the Dice Tower, and now our collection has blossomed. My wife would say, "exploded".

Now we're hosting game nights almost every week, just had over 30 players at our college library game night, and I'm negotiating a board game column with the local newspaper.

You could say I have the bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering. My older brother introduced me when I was late in grade school - started out using his cards and playing with him, a close friend of his, and a friend of mine during 3rd Edition. I kept playing with friends until... Mercadian Masques? I may have made it through Prophecy, but I don't think so. Around then I just decided that it was too much cash to keep up with and let the habit slide. I've still got tons of my cards around that I stumbled upon when I moved. The thought occurred to me to sell them, but, well...

I realized my son is going to grow up eventually. Why not keep them around? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign was my first big love. I bought this game as a kid but only managed about 2 games over the next 10 years (apart from solo love affairs with it), friends and family just did not want to play it.

Arkham Horror was my big love that brought me back into the board gaming fold a few years back. Unlike Campaign back in the old days, I have had no problem getting family, friends and co-workers to play it (and other games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Staugaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
Penguin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Quest and Space Crusade when I was a kid. Then a long hiatus, and then I rediscovered board games, when I was playing World of Warcraft online and saw the board game edition from FFG. That was when I rebooted my collection as an adult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Rakafeth wrote:
Hero Quest and Space Crusade when I was a kid. Then a long hiatus, and then I rediscovered board games, when I was playing World of Warcraft online and saw the board game edition from FFG. That was when I rebooted my collection as an adult.

Space Crusade for me, too. I'd obviously played lots of games before then, but I think this was the first game I played where I thought of gaming as a hobby in itself, as an activity you would want to do, rather than one you do because there's nothing else to do at the time or because social convention dictates it (family gatherings, etc). A school friend had introduced me to GW and we'd picked up some space marines just because they looked good, without any real concept of Rogue Trader or how we'd use them in a game, and suddenly there was this self-contained board game featuring the same marines and dripping in xeno-hunting theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Dedman
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
With 14 I developed an interesst in RPGs and my boardgame interesst drifted towards games like Blood Bowl, HeroQuest Advanced Quest and Battle Masters...

Exactly the same for me! Perhaps a little younger. Plus Space Hulk. Then I got older, discovered alochol and boobs and football, branched out more into computers and only very recently even realised all these amazing board games exist and got back into it via playing someone else's Arkham Horror. Now I'm obsessing slightly over the multitude of board games I want and how and where best to play them all...

I find it odd now (with hindsight) that I've gone so many years without realising it wasn't either Games Workshop or Monopoly! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course I played a lot of Risk, Monopoly, Scrabble, etc when I was younger but my real introduction to the gaming world came less than 1 year ago. A night that we have nothing to do, me and my friend entered into a game store here in Montreal and choose to buy Carccassonne.

I bought more than 20 other games since...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Young punks, get off my lawn!

Little Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy... oh how I loved that it wasn't a game played on a board. It wasn't a game where we took turns. Taking turns is for chumps. You talk about what you're going to do, you make a plan, then you submit move orders and things happen that are completely the opposite of every plan. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trzonkowski
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really hard to remember what I played first. My parents seemed to know I was into that sort of thing so they sent me to this summer camp at our local college. It was the "Historical Miniatures Wargaming Camp."

It was my favorite thing ever and I did it for years. All the games were fairly obscure.

I guess Risk would be my first wargame but Hero Quest really got me excited about what was possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
I want to tweak my answer - I did use to really enjoy playing Stratego. I somehow came by an old copy of it as a child, I don't remember how, it was maybe hidden away in my grandparents' attic. It was always harder to find opponents though, and at some point it must have been lost again and then a few years later I found Space Crusade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first love was Axis and Allies in like 1996ish and I was around 12. I was at an after school latch-key program and one of the employees was a guy in his 30's who played Axis and Allies weekly with his friends. He introduced me and a couple other people to the game and I was floored.

I remember he had a huge binder of house rules and they had re-done the map and had all kinds of extra effort put into the game. Thinking about that now, I'm wondering why the hell anyone would put that much effort into A&A but I do owe him for introducing me to the game.

I later had a family garage sale where I got enough money to buy it (think it was around $40 at the time) and then taught all my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Block
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Risk 2210 was my first taste of something beyond Monopoly. I saw it at Ace Hardware one day as a kid and was blown away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first tabletop gaming love was Mage Knight. I was about 12 and I remember walking through the Oak View Mall in Omaha, Nebraska sometime in 2001 and visiting a store called Electronic Boutique (which isn't there anymore). Hanging from an island display were these slender booster packs of five prepainted miniatures on dials that kept track of their stats as they took damage. I bought a blue one with an elf knight on the front and took it out to the food court. I opened it up and was amazed that a product like this existed! I was instantly hooked and started going to this sweet new store I discovered closer to my house called Ground Zero Comics where I joined a Mage Knight league. I introduced my friends to the game and we would play at school. I loved it until shortly before 2.0 was released as I became disenchanted by the look of the miniatures and the added rules. Mage Knight opened this new world called tabletop gaming to me, and really it is resposible for me being in the hobby at all. I still break out my figures from time to time, and was thrilled to hear there is going to be a 3.0 resurrection of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.