Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Seeking medieval game system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D McLean
msg tools
A friend of mine is working on her second novel (sequel to: http://www.amazon.com/Thief-of-Hope-ebook/dp/B0051AUCZW/ref=...). She's trying to figure out how the prince's successful strategy for winning the war and I was thinking that it should be possible to use her map to create a wargame that could be used to game out some possible scenarios.

In order to do this, I need to find a medieval era wargame with an appropriate scale.

The country in question is about 200,000 square miles and she's currently assigned a population of about 4 million, with the two primary combatants having a total of about 40,000 troops.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an existing game system that might be appropriate?

Thank you

Donald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is the most bizarre thing I have ever read today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonaldMcLean wrote:
A friend of mine is working on her second novel (sequel to: http://www.amazon.com/Thief-of-Hope-ebook/dp/B0051AUCZW/ref=...). She's trying to figure out how the prince's successful strategy for winning the war and I was thinking that it should be possible to use her map to create a wargame that could be used to game out some possible scenarios.

In order to do this, I need to find a medieval era wargame with an appropriate scale.

The country in question is about 200,000 square miles and she's currently assigned a population of about 4 million, with the two primary combatants having a total of about 40,000 troops.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an existing game system that might be appropriate?

Thank you

Donald

I guess you could try
Commands & Colors: Napoleonics

Otherwise, try
/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably do something with Wizard Kings. It is a pretty generic fantasy wargame that you could use with your own maps and modified units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Indeed, a tad bizarre.

So, let's assume it's all in honest fun and come up with a few real suggestions before the really odd questions might start.

Suggestion #1) A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
Suggestion #2) Lancaster

Now... if he/she goes with #1 it'll be a book that begot a game that begot a strategy that begot a book. And the case of #2 - it'll be history repeating itself with the names changed to protect the guilty. Either way... the circle will be complete. The end times will be near...

Now, about those odd questions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Don. Not bizarre at all.
It think it's a great idea. It's not even that she will need to follow the rules to accomplish her goals. Honestly though. I'd pull out a copy of Risk and use those troops (just to get a feel of scope) and give a representative number for each (say each solider represents 100 men, etc.) Then, play across from her, but as the author, let her veto some of the results to suite story. Honestly, she could even play by herself and just take notes on the battle as she's writing. That'd be a fun little exercise.
Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you just need to read some really good session reports to give you an idea on medieval battle tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terren C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't a board game suggestion, but have you looked at Medieval: Total War or Medieval II: Total War?

The first one will run on any computer nowadays if that is an issue. They are both fantastic games that offer historical battles to play through or you can run your own campaign.

These may be more accessible and less time consuming than a board game for this instance.

Otherwise I would concur with almost any other suggestion in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want strategy moreso than maneuvering, it could be worth having a look at something like GURPS Mass Combat, which doesn't use a map for during battles, but cares about things like logistics and generals outthinking one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
You could probably do something with Wizard Kings. It is a pretty generic fantasy wargame that you could use with your own maps and modified units.

I thought about Wizard Kings as well, though the collectible format means that you might have to buy a number of expansion boxes to get what you want. The Amazons, Barbarians, and Feudal factions are pretty good generic human armies.

Another option in the block game format is to pick up something like Richard III: The Wars of the Roses, Hammer of the Scots, or Crusader Rex any of which would be complete games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.