United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As many of you likely know, we are looking for Play-Testers...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/970195/play-testers-needed

This is the first idea in a series...

========== SUPER-COP ==========

Super-Cop is an expansion that works like this...

The Mayor has assigned YOU to be part of a special elite task-force of Super-Cops. He has arranged for all members of the task-force to be able to take a top-secret performance enhancing substance after they demonstrate that they are ready.

This new experimental substance (still in testing by the FDA, but made available to certain military personnel, law enforcement officers, and other scientifically controlled test-groups), players who receive this substance have amazing abilities to get things done, and to multi-task.

They become, in-effect... Super-Cops!

In fact, the makers of this substance seized the marketing opportunity and call it “Super-Cop”

This expansion involves a new Upgrade Token known as...

Can you guess?

why of course...

“Super-Cop”

SUPER-POWERS

HOW TO UPGRADE: Upgrading is considered a Free-Action, and works like this... On the turn you upgrade to being a Super-Cop, you must get to the station (by being there already OR moving there), then turn in your donut and take your Super-Cop upgrade Token (this is a Free-Action), THEN... You may take your turn as a Super-Cop, as if your turn is just now beginning (including, you may move again).

Once upgraded players will be considered to be “Super-Cops”, and have all of the following special abilities:

MULTI-TASKING:
Super-Cops are allowed to multi-task, which means that they can accomplish things DURING their movement phase, such as...

CAR CHANGE:
You are allowed to swap-out your car at the station (from under-cover to marked patrol car and vice verse) as you drive by.
Note: The distance a Super-Cop is allowed to move, in the event of a drive-by car-swap, is based on the movement capacity of the 2nd car (meaning the car that was swapped-into). For example: If a Super-Cop moves one space to the police Station, makes a car-swap from Under-Cover into a Marked Patrol Car, this Super-Cop has the right to move up to two more spaces before completing the movement portion of their turn.

UPGRADING:
Super-Cops are allowed to upgrade by simply driving by the police station (you do not have to stop), and upgrading does NOT require you to spend an action (you do need to spend the donut however). Furthermore, Super-Cops are NOT limited in the number of upgrades they are allowed to have, except that they may not have more than one of each type, AND may only get ONE upgrade per turn.

PLAY CARDS:
Certain cards MUST be played while parked at a certain location, BUT Super-Cops can play such cards as they drive past the location in question. One such location is the police station, thus if you are a Super-Cop, you may play a card as you drive past the station (you do not need to stop). For example, you can use the “Officer Assistance” card on your way to make arrests, and be aided by the patrol officers you just dispatched, all in one turn!

SHUTTLE EVIDENCE:
Super-Cops are allowed to pick-up, or drop-off evidence from other officers, or the police station during movement without stopping (more about this later)

DOUBLE-IMPULSE:
Super-Cops can take an extra action each turn. As always, actions must be performed while the vehicle is NOT in motion. Thus, for example, if a Super-Cop arrives at a location where they can make arrests, or investigate, they could actually do BOTH! First one, and then the other as the 2nd (extra) action. They could also, if they so chose, perform the same action twice. Let's say there was a gang present, they could arrive, make arrests, and then attempt to make more arrests as their 2nd action.

Furthermore...

SUPPORT VEHICLE:
In a game where Support Vehicles are in-play, Super-Cops can move the support vehicle at ANY time during their turn (during any phase of their turn)! Also, unlike regular Cops in the game, Super-Cops can spend donuts to move the support vehicle extra spaces (just like they can for their own vehicle).

HOSPITAL:
The question could arise as to...
What if a Super-Cop goes to the hospital as a result of one of their actions?
The answer is... That Super-Cop is allowed to pay the two police Cards, thus being released from the hospital, and then they may take their other action (if they have one remaining), and or move their vehicle (if they have not already done so). Either way, as usual, the Super-Cop cannot collect a police card at the end of their turn. This ability to get checked-out of the hospital so fast is typical of an over-achieving Super-Cop!

REVERSE ORDER:
Super Cops are so on-the-ball (able to think and move fast on their feet) that they can choose to reverse the order that they do things. Normal Cops need to “move and then take an action” but a Super-Cop can take an action, and THEN move! Furthermore, they may take an action, then move, then take another action. Basically they have the ability to take 2 actions and move once, and they can perform these in any order they want.

SUPER-CHALLENGES

When playing the Super Cops expansion, right from the beginning of the game, several things are more difficult...

HIGH-CRIME RATE:
The leaders of Commonville have chosen to put all of the Super-Cops into the worst part of town (highest crime rate). This is where they are needed most. The neighborhood depicted by the game-board, and where all the action of Super-Cops unfolds is a hard-core part of town with many unsavory characters.

The higher crime rate is expressed by one extra Punk being placed in a random Bad Hood just prior to the Event Card Phase of each players turn (thus Kinney can NOT stop this Punk's appearance). Thus, for example, a traffic accident would create 3 Punks to appear on the board (first one prior to drawing the card, then two more with the card). This applies to ALL event cards (not just Emergencies).

To avoid overwhelming the newly formed task-force before they have a chance to get their footing, the mayor performed a sweep of the neighborhood designed to reduce the criminal population. Here is how this plays-out in terms of set-up of the game... Prior to starting the game, place 4 (not 6) Punks in random Bad Hoods hoods. After placing the 4 Punks, then place the two Emergencies and all associated Punks.

EVIDENCE SHUTTLING:
In other parts of Commonville, where the crime rate is not so high, officers routinely leave evidence on-site, which would then be picked-up later by other (lower paid / less skilled) city personnel.

In such cases, very little thought or concern is given to the security of such items.

This is evidenced by the game mechanic used in the base-game Police Precinct that allows for any evidence found to be placed instantly and directly on the murder investigation board, but...

Due to the high crime rate in the area (and the importance of this case), if a valuable piece of evidence is found during a Super-Cop game, it must be shuttled back to the Police Station.

When evidence is found, the character who found it does NOT place it on the murder investigation board immediately, instead they hold it in their possession (place it face-up in front of them).

Furthermore, they do NOT receive a donut (yet) if it is the last piece of evidence for that deck.

In such a case, the donut would be given to the character who actually delivers the evidence to the Police Station, at the time that it is delivered.

Here's how evidence gets shuttled to the the station:

It can either happen directly, by driving to the station to make a delivery.

It can also happen via a series of hand-offs...

A member of the team can hand the evidence off to another member of the team.

If you are a “Regular Cop”, then you can accomplish this any time that two vehicles are parked in the same location at the same time.

A Super-Cop is allowed to take (or drop) evidence with another officer (or the station) while in motion.

As evidence is passed off from one car to another, the characters in question would actually (literally) exchange the evidence (meaning the card would be transferred to, and reside in-front of, the player who received it).

Support Vehicles can, YES CAN, shuttle evidence, BUT they are not allowed to posses it over a period of time, thus the evidence they carry during their movement must be delivered immediately at the end of their movement (either to the station or to a character in the game). Note that it is possible and allowed to have BOTH a Super-Cop AND a support vehicle moving at the same time (hint-hint... this does make for some interesting shuttling options). One more thing; in the event that a donut is owed for delivering the last piece of evidence, that donut shall be paid to the entity who actually delivered the evidence. Since Support vehicles can not posses donuts, no donut will be paid to anyone if a support vehicle delivers such evidence.

Note that if a Dirty Cop is in possession of evidence at the time that their loyalty becomes known, the evidence is automatically and instantly placed on the murder investigation board.

When this happens, it's considered that the Dirty Cop dropped the evidence in a chase and that members of the Internal Affairs retrieved it and brought it to the station right away.

Furthermore (here's the kicker!), Cops who hold evidence in their possession, are NOT allowed to draw ANY Police Cards, but do gain an extra free Police Card each time they deliver evidence to the station (maximum of one card per turn).

GRAND FINALE:
The following is the manner in which the murderer is arrested in Super Cops. It involves higher levels of challenge for the Good Cops:

ELUDING AUTHORITIES: At the start of the game (during set-up) place the Bad Hood Tiles randomly face-down on the last six spaces of the Turn-Track. Then, when the turn-track reaches the first one of these tiles, flip the tile over and place the Murderer in the designated Bad Hood WITH a Punk from the supply. Then repeat this process each round. Also, Unlike in regular Police Precinct, the murderer does NOT count as two for the purposes of calculating difficulty, but instead, in order to arrest The Murderer, you must role a 6, and as always, he is the last one to be arrested in the Hood where he is located.
Note: The Expansion for Super-Cops will include these Bad Hood Tiles, for now, during testing, please devise your own tiles.
(Erick S.)

OTHER OPTIONS:
In addition to “Eluding Authorities”, your group may like to try any of the following...

THE CHASE: When the time arrives for The Murderer to appear on the board, roll a die to see which Bad Hood he will show-up in. Place him in this hood WITH a Punk from the supply. Then repeat this process each round. Also, Unlike in regular Police Precinct, the murderer does NOT count as two for the purposes of calculating difficulty, but instead, in order to arrest The Murderer, you must role a 6, and as always, he is the last one to be arrested in the Hood where he is located.
(Brandon M.)

HIGH-SPEED PURSUIT: When the time arrives for The Murderer to appear on the board, roll a die to see which Bad Hood he will show-up in. Place him in this hood (but do NOT add any Punks to the board). Then after EVERY player's turn repeat this process (to likely move The Murderer). Then ONLY at the end of the round, move the turn track. Also, Unlike in regular Police Precinct, the murderer does NOT count as two for the purposes of calculating difficulty, but instead, in order to arrest The Murderer, you must role a 6, and as always, he is the last one to be arrested in the Hood where he is located.
(CMG)

===============================

ADJUSTING DIFFICULTY:
For groups who find Super-Cops to be too difficult, or for those groups who become extremely good at playing the default version, and want to ratchet-up the difficulty, here are some ideas for adjusting difficulty...

1. Limit The Number of Upgrade tokens available in the game to some number LESS-THAN the number of players (e.g. - 3 upgrades in a 5 person game, etc.), -- [the fewer, the harder]

2. Increase the cost of each subsequent Super-Cop upgrade as follows:
(note in this variation, players may share resources to pay these costs)
PLAYER #1 to upgrade pays -- One Donut + 2 Police Cards
PLAYER #2 to upgrade pays -- One Donut + 3 Police Cards
PLAYER #3 to upgrade pays -- 2 Donuts
PLAYER #4-6 to upgrade pays -- 2 Donuts + 2 Police Cards

3. Increasing the number of support vehicles available in the game.

4. Increasing or decreasing any number of variables (see page 13 of the basic rule-book for ideas)

COMPONENTS:
The following is a list of what components might be included with the game when published:

6 Super-Cop Upgrade Tokens
6 Eluding Authorities Tokens (one for each Bad Hood)
4 New Gang Cards
1 Rule-Book
1 Dirty Bomb Card (new Event Card)
1 Nuke counter (for use on / with Dirty Bomb Card)
35 Daily News Cards (if these are included in the game) -- see below
10 Super Thug Tokens (if these are included in the game) -- see below

COMING SOON:
The following is a list of things we are looking at adding to Super-Cops (stay tuned):

1. DAILY NEWS: We have been kicking around an idea here at CMG of having some sort of "Epic Event" added to the game. Meaning that these events would only happen once per round of play as apposed to every player turn. This would be delivered to the Cops much like a morning newspaper. Each one would affect the play of the game during that round (day) in some way. These cards would be flipped just prior to the First Player's turn, prior to a new round of play.

2. SUPER-THUG: To throw something into the mix that the Super-Cops have to deal with that didn't exist before. Some sort of "Super-Thug". Each one has some sort of special ability (flip over their token to find out what you're up against).
TBD

3. PUNK MOVEMENT: "I have an additional idea of having the murderer bring a gang member with him from each bad hood, but that might be too crazy!" - Kyle W

4. NAME CHANGE: We are considering changing the name to "Sidekicks" from Super-Cops for the reasons Richards lists here...
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13005669#13005669

5. IDEAS: Let us know if you have one that you think should be added.

PLAY-TESTING

In order to play-test this expansion, use all 4 of the blank UC (Unknown Circumstances) tokens provided with the game as the Super-Cop upgrade tokens. Place a sticky note on the UC Tokens that states “Super-Cop Upgrade”, and place these with the other upgrade tokens at the start of the game. If you are playing a 5 or 6 person game, and these tokens run out, write on a scrap of paper "Super-Cop Upgrade" and use that as your token (the point is that, when this expansion is published there will be six such tokens, thus no limit to the number of Super-Cops!).

Please provide any and all feedback on this Expansion idea right here in this thread.

For those who make material contributions, in terms of the design of the final product, we might try to give you some sort of Design Credit (if you want).

For those who play-test this design, we will be trying to give play-test credits.

It is likely that this particular design will be published at some point.

These play-test credits will list individuals by full name (if we don't know your full name, we will use your BGG user name). We will only list the names of people who we are aware have tested, so if you have tested, and want credit, please let us know. If we ARE aware of your testing, and (for whatever reason) you don't want to be credited, be sure to make this very clear.

Actual Play-tester List:
Brandon Miller - Lead Tester
Chase Dorsey
Victoria Segal
Michelle sweetland
Kyle Winckler

I know we are missing names, thus...

If you don't see your name on this list remind me to add it.

Thanks!

Karl

Karl Fenner, Director
Common Man Games
Denver, CO USA
karl@commonman.com
www.commonman.com
BGG: Common Man Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long will you be running this for roughly? I need to wait for my game to arrive, but I could also do with getting a few games behind me before I start taking on new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dante!

Good question!

I actually think the answer is...

"forever"

In the sense that...

We do not want any end to the flow of creative expansions and variants for Police Precinct.

I agree that you should take this in stages.

We recommend playing as pure Coop 1st.

Then add in the Dirty Cop.

Then maybe Mad Men Cards or...

Super Cop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hammond
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Does the extra punk on events start right away, even during set up, or do you wait until you have the first super cop on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the effect from the "energy drink" wear off after a certain number of turns? And then they 'crash and burn' and have reduced from normal abilities? You know, like in hour six of a 5 hour energy drink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This energy drink is very powerful and lasts for a full 8-hour shift.

These Super-Cops are all-hopped-up every minute of every shift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
This energy drink is very powerful and lasts for a full 8-hour shift.

These Super-Cops are all-hopped-up every minute of every shift.

They need to be careful though - as with all the doughnuts they eat, they may find themselves in sugar coma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And promotes tooth decay!

It aint easy bein' a Super-Cop!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Garcia
United States
Miami Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you" ― Friedrich Nietzsche
badge
“We are a way for the universe to know itself.” ― Carl Sagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Common Man Games,
First of all, I want to thank you for bringing such a wonderful game to life. I must confess I love it. I absolutely love the theme and the challenge it offers to players. This is a game with so much endless potential. I even bought several Matchbox Police toy cars, and some police related Heroclix minis in order to enhance and embellish the general playing experience, however, I must confess, I personally think this game urgently requires some expansions to increase its re-playability, but not just a fictional "super police" expansion, but one with real depth police content. Please, do not take me wrong, I love the game, and because I love it, I felt compelled to express my opinion and my suggestions. modest Let me try to explain myself further. My gaming group and I have played this game several times, and lately, the general consensus is that every time we play it, we enjoy it less and less. Somehow, we have become tired of catching the same murderer, using the same police characters, revealing the same murder weapon (knife) and the same evidence cards. Although I like -and respect- the idea of a super cop expansion, I want to see it as just a fun variant expansion (like playing Galaxy Trucker with Rough Road cards), but not as a core expansion to expand a police universe full of mysteries, difficulties, challenges, detective work, cooperation, risks, forensics, criminal minds, dangers, tough situations, etc. What I am trying to point out is that we need more police characters with more and different abilities; more support cards; a more functional Police Station; more vehicles. We definitely need more crime cases; criminals masterminds; more difficulties and risky threats. Maybe you could include different type of crimes (not as emergencies): bank robberies, drug trafficking, serial killer, kidnappings, terrorism, rapes, white collar crimes, cult related crimes, etc. There are so much possibilities in this regard. What about including crimes happening at the same time; different suspects with different races and gender (in order to increase the difficulty of the investigation); the inclusion of criminal masterminds (a la Joker, Lex Luthor, etc.); the addition of several locations to interrogate witnesses (not a deck of cards in the same apartment building); additional abilities like: Behavioral Analysis Expert, Weapon Expert, Interrogation Expert, Black Ops Expert, Negotiator, Explosive Handling Expert, Vehicle Expert,
weapon upgrades and/or police and law enforcement specialties; more life and death situations; corpses that appear after the original death to distract the course of the investigation; the addition of a prosecutor role; a forensic lab; ... etc. etc. etc. devil
The possibilities, as I said above, are endless. There are so many detectivesque books, movies and TV series out there from which to inspire from, that I believe we can certainly come up with something more real, and more compelling and appealing in terms of police work, than a fictional super cop and energy drinks. I really hope you guys come up with some more ideas. I really look forward to that moment. If you need any more feedback, let me know. I would suggest creating a poll in BGG about possible future ideas for expansions. Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oscar - trust me on this one...it's in the works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Garcia
United States
Miami Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you" ― Friedrich Nietzsche
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope so Cindy... I really love this game. I see this game as a platform, a stepping stone, the beginning of an unforgettable epic saga of mystery, crime and investigation. I want it to be great. I want to be the proud owner of a game everyone wants to play every time, and I know they can do it in a reasonable time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
Oscar - trust me on this one...it's in the works!

She knows.

Now you know too.

Oscar...

Keep in mind that this game was only released a little over 2 months ago. We are just in the infancy stages of an epic journey here.

We have many ideas... (MANY)!

They range from the...

minor

All the way up to the...

MAJOR

We see this as a long-term project, and plan to release plenty of different kinds of things (variants / expansions / related products / etc.) over the years with regard to Police Precinct.

We are looking to you (Oscar / the BGG community) for help with that process.

You can play-test ideas we post here on BGG (like Super-Cops), if you want.

You can invent an expansion on your own that you think should be published, and show it to us, if you want.

You can work with us to create solutions to needed expansions (and or variants), if you want. For example, one of the fans of the game is currently working on a needed (meaning wouldn't it be cool if we had this) variant for playing the game with only two players and a Dirty Cop. It's tricky, but he is making good progress.

What about your group? And you? What do you think you-all could do to help make police Precinct even better?

We would love to have your help!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thammond wrote:
Does the extra punk on events start right away, even during set up, or do you wait until you have the first super cop on the board?

Todd,

Sorry it took me a while to answer this question...

I honestly missed it somehow.

OK, so here's the scoop...

This is a MUCH harder game.

Punks are piling up.

Evidence must be securely transported.

In answer to your question...

All this is happening right from the opening move of the first player.

It's not easy!

surprise

This is why upgrading is critical.

gulp

In the base-game version of Police Precinct, upgrading is very optional.

(it's just one viable strategy for winning)

In Super-Cops...

It is a must!

Regular cops can not fight this level of crime.

wow

PS - I did tweak things above (in the rules) such that it is more clear that these difficulties are happening right away...
"When playing the Super Cops expansion, right from the beginning of the game, several things are more difficult..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Garcia
United States
Miami Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the heads up. laugh
I imagine you are working very hard on future projects, and that´s what we all are expecting from such a wonderful game, and from such a friendly publisher like you. I´m sorry if I look demanding, I know the game has just been released, but you will have to understand us, fans. I guess it´s like being a sport fan of NBA or NHL team. Fans always want to watch more games, to receive more media content, to know all statistics, and to know the players even more than they know themselves. Just kidding...
I will try to compile my gaming group´s thoughts and opinions, and to send them to you ASAP for further analysis. For know, be advised that our main concern is the routine that has become the task of revealing cards from the same mini decks, game after game. Sometimes, players get frustrated due to the fact that they have so limited actions per turn, and spending those precious actions waiting in front of a deck of cards, for just a ....card, is discouraging (especially if you consider that it´s a police game, and that people expect to be capturing criminals, shooting bad guys, chasing bank robbers, and cleaning the streets from vicious armed gang members).
Anybody out there that can spend an investigation card here? cool

I also appreciate the help of the BGG community too. They are always thinking of new ways of improving things, and I´m pretty sure that with their/our help, the game will become a masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oscargarciaosuna wrote:
Thank you very much for the heads up. laugh
I imagine you are working very hard on future projects, and that´s what we all are expecting from such a wonderful game, and from such a friendly publisher like you. I´m sorry if I look demanding, I know the game has just been released, but you will have to understand us, fans. I guess it´s like being a sport fan of NBA or NHL team. Fans always want to watch more games, to receive more media content, to know all statistics, and to know the players even more than they know themselves. Just kidding...
I will try to compile my gaming group´s thoughts and opinions, and to send them to you ASAP for further analysis. For know, be advised that our main concern is the routine that has become the task of revealing cards from the same mini decks, game after game. Sometimes, players get frustrated due to the fact that they have so limited actions per turn, and spending those precious actions waiting in front of a deck of cards, for just a ....card, is discouraging (especially if you consider that it´s a police game, and that people expect to be capturing criminals, shooting bad guys, chasing bank robbers, and cleaning the streets from vicious armed gang members).
Anybody out there that can spend an investigation card here? cool

I also appreciate the help of the BGG community too. They are always thinking of new ways of improving things, and I´m pretty sure that with their/our help, the game will become a masterpiece.

Oscar,

It makes me happy to know that fans are out there who...

Want more!

and...

Want to get involved!

I would also say that...

Some of what you are saying here...

oscargarciaosuna wrote:

"our main concern is... players... have... limited actions per turn...
spending those precious actions... for just a ....card..."

Leads me to think that you just might enjoy Super-Cops if you gave it a try.

I invite you to do so.

I think you might be surprised that the combination of being able to do MUCH more per turn combined with the extreme challenges presented are actually quite a nice combination.

All I'm saying is...

"Give it a try!"

Let me know how it goes.

And...

Let me know what else your group comes up with.

Can't wait to hear!

PS - I have been having daily meetings with Ole lately and he has got a TON of stuff in the pipeline already. All I can say is that... Between his great stuff and yours (meaning... literally your group, but also meaning the BGG community in a wider sense), I think we are in for a wild ride.

Also, watch for other great NEW games coming from Ole. He is a factory of creativity!!!!

Go Ole!

It's gonna be fun.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'd really like is a Police Chief Card:
Giving 1 player more power.
Or maybe forcing him to stay at the station and use
Other characters.

Maybe another card as well for 5-6 player games.
Federal Agent:

Crime goes on here in Detroit.
http://detne.ws/15PRE3O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:
Other characters.

Federal Agent:

Actually - you need a Dispatcher card (think Pandemic). They stay at the Police Station and can use their turn to move other players around and take actions.

Also, an Event card for The Mayor. Any fan of police movies will recognize this as a negative Event as Mayors are portrayed as being more interested in PR than letting the police do their job the best way possible. In fact, if you ever added a Dirty Copy Event Deck, he could definitely be one of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:

Crime in Detroit?

This is the first I have heard of this.

Weird.

wow

Wasn't expecting that.

surprise

shake

PS - great ideas Joe!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
SlimJim wrote:
Other characters.

Federal Agent:

Actually - you need a Dispatcher card (think Pandemic). They stay at the Police Station and can use their turn to move other players around and take actions.

Also, an Event card for The Mayor. Any fan of police movies will recognize this as a negative Event as Mayors are portrayed as being more interested in PR than letting the police do their job the best way possible. In fact, if you ever added a Dirty Copy Event Deck, he could definitely be one of the cards.

Hey Cindy,

It's funny that you would mention this...

ole just came out with a prototype character that is all about dispatch.

I't like you were reading our minds.

wow

I think it's a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well my wife and I tried out playing with the Super-Cop expansion, and we loved it!

We ended up playing 3 games of it (with 2 characters each and no dirty cop). The first 2 games, we lost after a couple turns due to not having enough punks to put on the board. The third game we almost pulled it off, but were not able to coordinate getting all the evidence to the station and arresting the murderer thanks to a couple gangs hampering our investigation at the very end.

A couple thoughts in play testing this idea:

-Love it! It kept the game intense even with 4 players and no dirty cop. Will probably almost always play with the super-cop from now on.

-Maybe set a limit to how many punks can start on the board. In our first two games, we started with 11 and 12 punks respectively (6 for initial set up and the two emergencies we picked for the second game were both traffic accidents which meant 4 + 2 for super-cop rules). When you only have room for 3 more punks before you run out at the very beginning, you almost are certain to fail. Having a limit of 2/3 of punks can be on the board at the start, makes the game more hopeful.

-We played that when you upgraded at the station to become a super-cop that was your turn (and you hoped by using your whole turn for upgrading that the precinct wouldn't fall apart!). We were wondering for clarification though - if you upgrade on your turn can you then multitask?

-Another clarification question - how much evidence can someone carry? Should there be a limit or is it ok if every cop holds it until all the evidence is gathered? This could be a way to make the expansion harder by requiring that evidence be returned to the station before a cop does anything else since if you go to bust punks someone could swipe the evidence in your car? Just an idea.

Thanks for the great game and coming expansions - looking forward to playing/testing this expansion more and others to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brandon!

Great Feedback!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Here are my thoughts...

1. WHOLE TURN:

At first I felt like it should remain such that it takes the whole turn to upgrade to a Super Cop.

But...

You have sold me on the idea of handling that a bit differently.

Here is what I think it should be...

Upgrading to a Super Cop is a "Free Action".

So here is how that would work...

"On the turn you upgrade to being a Super-Cop, after you upgrade, you may take your turn as a Super-Cop."

I actually think this does a few things...

A. It makes playing the game faster, more exciting, more action-packed, and more fun!

B. It adds a (needed) little boost to the groups ability to succeed.

C. It balances-out the tension level for players no matter how big the group might be. Meaning... Without this rule change, a 2-person game is much easier to win because only two turns are used-up in the process of upgrading, where-as in a 6-person game it takes a full 6 turns to get everyone upgraded, that is a critical and HUGE difference, and this small change will solve this issue (in-fact that issue has bugged me for a while now and thanks to you, it's solved now!), because now NO turns will be needed to do the upgrading (in any sized game).

2. ONLY ONE ADDS PUNKS:

I agree with your thinking in terms of...

Too many punks placed on the board during set-up can cause failure before the game has a chance to develop in a fun way. So my solution is to say...

"Only One of the Emergencies placed on the board the the beginning of the game may add Punks. Thus if the first Emergency causes Punks to be placed, know that the 2nd one can NOT. If the first Emergency does add Punks, then keep drawing cards until a second Emergency is found that does NOT add Punks."

I thought this solution was better than one that limited the number on the board to some exact quantity or required an exact minimum number of extras in the pool. I felt this way because different numbers of players (and if the DC is used) effect the number of Punks in play and it would be hard (complicated) to come up with a system for this that worked for all set-ups.

The way I did this also helps the cops a bit by eliminating the chance of two traffic accidents happening at the beginning, which reduces the chances of the Urgent! Marker being in-play right from the beginning (that would be pretty toxic).

I will (in just a second) make all of these changes to the rules above (see rules at top of this post).

PS - I will email you in a second to discuss a few things.

Thanks again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

1. BRANDON:
Brandon and I have been talking / working a lot since the post above on the Super-Cops. He is our Lead-Tester on this project, and has given several reports so far. Each time this happens, the rules get tweaked as needed, so...
In case I have not yet mentioned it... The rules listed here for Super-Cops is a "Living Document" which improves over time as we refine the concept more-and-more.

2. COMIC CON:
I just finished two days at Comic Con (and will go back today also). One of the big focuses for us has been testing Super-Cops. Results have been really awesome. Everyone we have played Super-Cops with had never played Police Precinct before, but still were able to pick-up on the added complexity of Super-Cops very easily. All the games so far have been high-pressure down to the wire... Very much like the base-game, except an even greater sense of being overwhelmed by the "bad-guys". One of the players this weekend was dressed as the Riddler from Bat Man, and her comment was "This is Commonville turned Gotham City!"

Stay Tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm digging the "super cop" varient, gonna try with my group next time we meet.

Is it possible to upload a PDF of the rules in the file section for download? We don't always have a computer handy or room for on the table so we can refer to the rules quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Erik!

The problem is that we are constantly (several times per day often) changing the rules as listed here.

Can you paste them into a WORD.doc file and print?

Let me know how your session goes.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor suggestion, and bear in mind, it's not for me... I don't mind the conceit of this expansion, BUT since I suspect PP is a game that a lot of families play together, I'm betting some parents wouldn't like the idea of exposing their kids to a game where they can excel by literally taking performance enhancing drugs.

Again, I personally don't mind - seems like you're doing it tongue & cheek, but still, why imply that the cops are on steroids or speed or something which gives them these additional abilities, when you could just as easily say that they've received a partner in their car, who does the driving while they do the extra stuff. That's just as good an explanation as to why you can do the extra actions, but also adds more character (you would see a picture of your partner who drives around in the squadcar), and avoids drug use negative connotations.

So instead of calling the expansion Supercops, call it Sidekicks.

Just a thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.