Subject: My worst defeat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard White

North Potomac
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I only played Stalingrad once face-to-face. It was many years ago, in Richmond VA. at a game club that met downtown somewhere. I took the Russian side. I did not know what I was doing, never seen the game before,and the German player I faced was quite experienced. As my lines began to fail, I recall that my opponent began to wander around the game room. "I just blew a hole 12 hexes wide in his line" I heard him brag to someone. It was true - he was running past me like I wasn't there, 'cause, I wasn't there! As a former chess player, I had faced defeat many times. But never was I so embarrassed as when guys left their tables to survey the whipping I was taking. And there was no King to knock over and walk away from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
bevo2034 wrote:
I only played Stalingrad once face-to-face. It was many years ago, in Richmond VA. at a game club that met downtown somewhere. I took the Russian side. I did not know what I was doing, never seen the game before,and the German player I faced was quite experienced. As my lines began to fail, I recall that my opponent began to wander around the game room. "I just blew a hole 12 hexes wide in his line" I heard him brag to someone. It was true - he was running past me like I wasn't there, 'cause, I wasn't there! As a former chess player, I had faced defeat many times. But never was I so embarrassed as when guys left their tables to survey the whipping I was taking. And there was no King to knock over and walk away from.

That guy was a tool.
YOu might want to be prepared next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
That guy was a tool.

Really! What kind of arrogant d*ckw**d takes pride in a game like that?

In the same situation, I've used the game as an opportunity to teach, seeking not to win the game, but to win a fan to the game. And I've never let the game go more than a few turns either, before saying "Okay, let's turn the board around and start over, and you try to do what I did while I stonewall you with the Russkies, and then we'll turn it around again after a few moves and you can try the Russian side again".

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Gambiteer wrote:
hipshot wrote:
That guy was a tool.

Really! What kind of arrogant d*ckw**d takes pride in a game like that?

In the same situation, I've used the game as an opportunity to teach, seeking not to win the game, but to win a fan to the game. And I've never let the game go more than a few turns either, before saying "Okay, let's turn the board around and start over, and you try to do what I did while I stonewall you with the Russkies, and then we'll turn it around again after a few moves and you can try the Russian side again".

meeple

Exactly. Except when it is my friend PEte, Bill or Brady...oh that is my whole gaming group..doah.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
What kind of arrogant d*ckw**d takes pride in a game like that?

The sad reality is that there are all too many "d*ckw**d" types like him in our hobby who do enjoy doing that sort of thing. Even one would be more than we should have, but wargaming seems to have more than its fair share of hermit-like losers whose lives are so empty of worth that the only way they can massage their withered egos is to humiliate n00bs by crushing them and then bragging about it to others. My sincere sympathy to Richard for having the unfortunate ill luck of running into one of these jerks for his first (and only?) play of an otherwise decent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, He would have been eating crow if after that hawking about the 12 hex wide hole in your line and he ended up losing. I've had huge gaps made when I gathered the Russians more around the Replacement cities making a fight for them and the Germans unable to capture and they go down in defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Nakhon Nayok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Kim. Initial stages often go swimmingly well for the Germans, as it did historically. Never give up! Once the defense hunkers down on the cities things will get much harder.

Depending on how well the Germans have channeled on either side of the marshes it's easy to grind to a halt when you can no longer concentrate to attack at safe odds. With the AH Classic CRT a 'Hail Mary' attack can be disastrous for either side so a meal of crow is always a possibility.

I haven't played in an age but was just re-reading Nicky Palmer's analysis on this one - he examines a position where overconfident German play doesn't end well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard White

North Potomac
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I appreciate the remarks about this. Thanks to you all. I can't recall much more about the game except the fact that there was a huge gap in my lines, and I had lost so much material I couldn't mount a sound defense in any sector. Yes I knew the guy was jerk, and I was amazed that he got others to come and rubberneck at the scene of the crash! The result was, I never returned to that game room again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wrote "Stalingrad for Beginners" (Amazon, Smashwords.com) to help people get started. You may or may not like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For more assistance, read my "Stalingrad Replayed", which will be out on Kindle, perhaps this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
porkbelly wrote:
Agree with Kim. Initial stages often go swimmingly well for the Germans, as it did historically. Never give up! Once the defense hunkers down on the cities things will get much harder.

Depending on how well the Germans have channeled on either side of the marshes it's easy to grind to a halt when you can no longer concentrate to attack at safe odds. With the AH Classic CRT a 'Hail Mary' attack can be disastrous for either side so a meal of crow is always a possibility.

I haven't played in an age but was just re-reading Nicky Palmer's analysis on this one - he examines a position where overconfident German play doesn't end well.

Where did you see Nicky Palmer's analysis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Nakhon Nayok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George, Nicky gave it about four or five pages in the section on strategy from his first book "Comprehensive guide to board wargaming". It's not so much an analysis of the game, rather he examines a position in the mid-game to make an example of how a short-sighted strategy can go awry.

Looking forward to your new book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Sutherland
msg tools
mbmb
You ran into one of the Monster gamers from Halk press no doubt, I didn't realize any of them were Stalingrad players. Stalingrad is an art, very simple game that has a hidden complexity all it's own, very much like chess.

As for the guy being a tool, you have to understand they had some very competitive people there, but overall my experience gaming there was very positive, they taught me when I was ignorant of a strategy and allowed me to play in central locations of the game where the action was the hottest when they had a monster game out, instead of shoving a rook into a corner where he couldn't hurt anything.

So there are no tools in Richmond only good gamers and very good friends!!

I play the game some and I would be happy to help you improve your play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.