Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm newly addicted to trading and had some questions about possible unwritten rules or just common courtesy.

1. Is it ok to send a trade proposal without any prior discussion?
- Right now, I always send a geekmail first to ask if they're interested and hopefully show the person, there's a genuine interest in the game.

2. If you send a GM to someone inquiring about a trade, is it rude or bad manners to send a GM to another person involving the same game?

3. How long would you wait until you abandon a prospect of a trade, if you receive no replies?
- This seems to happen to me often.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, due to others constantly not replying, I've given up on trade proposals and only send geekmails. Once in awhile I get two positive responses, at which point I simply apologize and explain the situation. Is it ideal? Of course not. But the sad fact is that if you try to be ideal, you'll constantly be locked into waiting 3 days after every proposal, since a good majority of people don't reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look into Math Trades or the monthly Flea Market lists. You'll reach people who actively want to trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I recommend continuing to just send geekmails. If you send a trade request, then it locks up that game for future trades if the other user doesn't respond.

2 - I think it's absolutely okay. Although, I think it's best if you let them know that you're sending the other messages.

3 - I look at when the other user's last login occurred. If they continue to get on BGG, but they don't respond then it's probably a safe bet that they're not interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish people would be more courteous and at least send a friendly "no thanks" instead of what seems to be the norm of just ignoring trades they are not interested in.

I usually try to establish communication before sending a request as that confirms a trade interest or not. The worst is when people stop responding mid trade discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you send anything check and see when the person you want to trade with was last on BGG. That will save a lot of grief.

I always include a message with my trade proposals. I think that probably does the same thing as a geekmail since they show up in the same place. Good communication is a big part of a sucessful trade. How you communicate is perhaps less of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

1. Is it ok to send a trade proposal without any prior discussion?
- Right now, I always send a geekmail first to ask if they're interested and hopefully show the person, there's a genuine interest in the game.

Yes. I generally send a message first but there's no real rule on it. I know some people like to be offended when people do that but they need to get over themselves if they are.

If you do send a proposal first make sure you have the game's condition listed so the person receiving the proposal knows. Telling me you want to trade a copy of Twilight Struggle is fine but is it played? Is it unpunched? Is it in shrink?

Quote:
2. If you send a GM to someone inquiring about a trade, is it rude or bad manners to send a GM to another person involving the same game?

Yes. I had someone contact me about a trade. I said sure send me an official proposal. Two days later he comes back to me and goes "Well how about this?" I was annoyed that I had accepted his previous offer only to have him change the deal. I still said yes though. Two days later he comes back with the deal changed again. I said yes. About 5 days later I send him a message asking about the trade as he had offered and I had accepted. He says he traded the game to someone else. He literally jerked me around for a week and then didn't follow through.

I mentioned this at a game night the next week. Turns out the guy had offered the same game to a friend at the same time. Another guy at the table knew who we were talking about and said the guy had done the same thing to him before and he wouldn't deal with him anymore. How many people this guy jerks around at a time I don't know but I won't deal with him anymore nor will at least three other people I know who have had thing kind of thing happening with him. Don't propose deals with someone if you aren't going to follow through if they accept. You're simply wasting people's time that way and it's just rude.

Quote:
3. How long would you wait until you abandon a prospect of a trade, if you receive no replies?
- This seems to happen to me often.

I've never set a hard time myself. For me I'm generally on the forums at some point during the day so I reply in 24 hours for the most part. Even if I'm thinking it over I like to reply to the person and let them know I'm thinking about it. It's just the polite thing to do in my opinion so they know I'm not ignoring their offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Meyer
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Yes. I had someone contact me about a trade. I said sure send me an official proposal. Two days later he comes back to me and goes "Well how about this?" I was annoyed that I had accepted his previous offer only to have him change the deal. I still said yes though. Two days later he comes back with the deal changed again. I said yes. About 5 days later I send him a message asking about the trade as he had offered and I had accepted. He says he traded the game to someone else. He literally jerked me around for a week and then didn't follow through.

I mentioned this at a game night the next week. Turns out the guy had offered the same game to a friend at the same time. Another guy at the table knew who we were talking about and said the guy had done the same thing to him before and he wouldn't deal with him anymore. How many people this guy jerks around at a time I don't know but I won't deal with him anymore nor will at least three other people I know who have had thing kind of thing happening with him. Don't propose deals with someone if you aren't going to follow through if they accept. You're simply wasting people's time that way and it's just rude.

Had similar scenarios happen to me. Very annoying and rude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmeyer321 wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Had similar scenarios happen to me. Very annoying and rude.

Granted that the guy over there sounds like a douche. I too had someone who kept offering me trades, spending time negotiating, then leaving me hanging for a better offer. Now I won't trade with him or even try. But for a standard offer, where you won't go back and forth...the system doesn't work. If you offer one person at a time, you have to sit and wait when over half the people don't answer anyway. So in order to not waste your own time, you're forced to send to multiple people. I don't see a scenario where no on is wasting time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to pinpoint an exact method that works for everybody. Most of the time you just need to learn to read the signs.

For instance, a BGG member with an avatar and some microbadges usually logs into BGG often enough to stay in communication. A member with previous feedback is also going to be more reliable. Though sometimes it's best to avoid people with hundreds and hundreds of trades under their belt because sometimes they'll treat it more like a business, looking for a profit or maybe be too busy.

I know I am sometimes guilty of not responding, because I'm the type of trader who will put a lot of games up as available for trade simply because I'd be willing to consider any trade for the right offer. I'll also often put a ton of games I'm only partially interested in on my wishlist because big trades will often require settling for a couple fillers. This will often lead to some seriously skewed offers. For instance, I can't count the number of times I'm offered New England or Capitol. I think I've been getting at least three different offers of just De Vulgari Eloquentia per week thanks to recent sale.

Point is, everybody handles trades a bit differently. Geekmailing first is generally the best method. Just be honest and courteous, and try not to get too riled up if people don't see eye to eye with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I messaged someone inquiring about a game he had available for trade and what he wanted in return. He replied with a list of about 6 or 7 "bigger" games and 6 or 7 "smaller" games he was looking for, and said he wanted one from each list. Perfectly reasonable. I did not have these games, so I told him I would see if I could find a third party to work out a 3 person trade. A couple days later, I got a message from this person stating he had just bought a few of the games from the lists and added another game option. Again, perfectly reasonable. After another day or two, I found a third trader who made the trade work, so I messaged the original person with the final information. I got a response the next day saying someone had offered to buy one of his other games the day before and then asked if he could also include the game that was to be traded to me in the purchase. The original person said he was going to pass on our trade because he wouldn't have to pay for shipping if he sold both games to the same person. I offered to pay his shipping cost, but, still no go.

I feel bad for the third party that I lined up and I'm disappointed just because the game I was trying to trade for is OOP and is basically my grail game. It's his game and we hadn't agreed to a trade yet, so he can do what he wants. It just seems a bit inconsiderate in that situation. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to pay full price for a game in the event someone backs out, feel free to take part in three way trades. I personally have only had bad luck with them. I once had a trade take upwards of 4 months simply because a three way trade was all but lined up and someone backed out at the last second. The other guy just couldn't afford to make good on the offer. Just better to keep it simple, in my opinion. Maybe one day I'll learn how to do math trades...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
If you're willing to pay full price for a game in the event someone backs out, feel free to take part in three way trades. I personally have only had bad luck with them. I once had a trade take upwards of 4 months simply because a three way trade was all but lined up and someone backed out at the last second. The other guy just couldn't afford to make good on the offer. Just better to keep it simple, in my opinion. Maybe one day I'll learn how to do math trades...
I've been hoping to get into some math trades as well. Seems like a great idea, but I'm still trying to figure out the entire process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hesitant at first as well, but after you read through the tutorials, it's really easy. And there's always a discussion thread along with the trade geeklist, where people are very helpful with answering even the seemingly insignificant questions. Definitely give it a look. There's even one going on right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.