Subject: Which is the starting tile in Carcassonne? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a b
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have the river expansion that came with it and when using that I know which one is the starting tile but if I don't want to use the river which one is it.

I don't see any difference on the backs of the tiles to indicate. Since this came with the river expansion must the river always be used and there isn't a starting tile for the general game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The black/white design on the back of the starting tile is inverted.

It has city on one side, a straight road going through it on two sides, and field on the fourth side.

I'll see if I can find a photo of it in the database.

EDIT: You definitely don't have to always use the River.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
The starting tile for the basic set has a road, a farm side, and a city side. Its light/dark shading on the back is opposite to the light and dark shading on the back of all the other tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jeris
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the same edition I have (USA Rio Grande, came with the river expansion), there are 71 tiles with dark-on-light backs and 13 tiles with light-on-dark backs. Out of those 13, one of them has no river; it has one city side, one farm side opposite the city side, and a straight road connecting the other two sides. That is the starting tile for the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Start tile:

Starting river tile = "spring" (upper left):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a b
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
Roy that completed city in your example is allowed? I thought I read that it wasn't? Just seeing if I read wrong?

Also thanks to everyone for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

Now you've got confirmation, and then some laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Roy that completed city in your example is allowed? I thought I read that it wasn't? Just seeing if I read wrong?

No, it's not allowed. As you read, the river tiles can not be placed so as to make a U Turn. I think the photographer in that picture just situated the tiles that way because it looks nice and fits well in the photo, but don't let it mislead you into thinking that it represents a legal placement of the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Thommy8 wrote:
Quote:

No, it's not allowed. As you read, the river tiles can not be placed so as to make a U Turn. I think the photographer in that picture just situated the tiles that way because it looks nice and fits well in the photo, but don't let it mislead you into thinking that it represents a legal placement of the tiles.

Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.