GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Leviathans» Forums » General

Subject: Ugh... Rule Book Examples rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the Commanders Rule Book and getting ready to start play-learning... I am ok with how the rule book is laid out and am finding the concepts easy enough to grasp... but am finding the lengthier play examples hard to follow because of the frequent flipping back and forth from text to diagram.

Not sure if the rule book should have been printed in a larger format...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Manley
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye shipmate. Those examples are a bit hard to chew. You may find it helpful to lay out your own ships on the board like the examples as you go along. That's what I did & it helped a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is, for now at least, just a set of naval miniatures rules on a hex-grid . . . so figuring it out is not that difficult for naval wargames players. For those new to it, though, I thought the examples needed a bit of work.

Setting up the ships and figuring it out (while also looking at the arcs diagrams) really helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree with everything that's been said above... flipping back and forth between the Example diagrams and the text was cumbersome and could have been easier; setting up your own models on a map to match the diagrams does help; and after a dozen or more games during the past year, I'm still having trouble visualizing the interaction of the Firing ARCs and the Targeting ARCs. I'm hoping the new "updated" version will have some clarifications and thus easier to explain to new comers to this game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.