Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Snell
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has there been any research on the effects of gaming. I just wonder if there is any sort of significant impact that can occur on peoples cognative abilities due to gaming?

If anyone has any information on such research I would be very interested in it.

Thanks,

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I remember reading that playing board games or card games (or doing crosswords or other brain teasers) seems to prevent the onset of Alzheimer's, but I don't have anything definitive to back it up. I think we're discussed that before in the forums, though, if you want to do a search on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you have to resolve a problem of a different kind over an over (spatial 2d/3d, numerical, sequential, combinatorial, etc.), you are reinforcing new pathways in your brain, allowing you to use these new ways of looking at things in real life with more interconnections. This can only be good.

Even with a game as simple as Set, you go through a learning curve training your mind to recognize differences rather than similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just wonder if there is any sort of significant impact that can occur on peoples cognative abilities due to gaming?

Studies have shown that playing board games seems to hone ones ability to locate cans of Mountain Dew and bags of Cheesies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try doing a MEDLINE search (via PubMed, which is free) with relevant search terms:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

Doing a search for "board game" OR boardgame returns 57 hits, many of which are to do with health education or continuing medical education.

As mentioned, there are also studies on the cognitive effects of games in conditions like Alzheimer's disease.

You could also look up Avedon & Sutton-Smith's (1971) book, The Study of Games.

Any researchers here interested in collaborating on a systematic review on this topic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
and after medline you might also want to try
http://scholar.google.com/ with the right terms for searching

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.