Subject: Kind of interesting statistics, but what do they mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Board%20Games&cmpt=q

I was playing around with google at work and I found this stats page.

Seems that internet searches for board games have odd spikes but are going down in general (something I find odd).

Just throwing this here in case someone is interested or has a theory on whats going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Nov-Dec Christmas shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Well, they're not odd spikes - they're all in December which is kind of what I'd expect.

As to them going down, that is odd as my impression (right or wrong) was that the hobby was growing. Maybe it indicates that most people are introduced into the hobby directly from other sources (they're told about BGG by friends, or they stumble across Tabletop on Youtube, etc) rather than suddenly having a desire to go off and research board games themselves. As a result, the more the hobby grows, the easier it is to be introduced without the need to conduct independent research on Google. Well, it's one theory, I don't know how you'd test it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Well the spikes are around Christmas so that's not very odd (people search the newest Monopoly re-theme), but I don't know why the trend is downwards, I thought boardgames were becoming more and more popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crian
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What I find most interesting is the regional interest. Pakistan is showing up on top there, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it's mostly a question of where these searches come from. If the main driving force behind them is "general" buying, which I'd expect, they may as well come down because there is not as much money going around as in years past because of the global crisis and whatnot. Keep in mind that the vast majority of board games are (still) bought by people mostly outside the hobby (or who perhaps have heard of Carcassone, but don't have tens or hundreds of games in a basement...).

My opinion in essence, is that more or less "serious" boardgamers don't search for "Board Game" in Google As long as you discover BGG or any other specialized site, that becomes your bread and butter, and you tend to use that for searches. Furthermore, you don't search for "board game" anymore - you research specific games that pique your interest.

See this graph, for example, in which the trends for a few popular games (with titles specific enough not to get confused with more general searches) are plotted, and you'll see what I mean. And that's even with the drawback of many top games (Agricola, Puerto Rico, Eclipse...) having very generic names. I'm sure most of these games would also have a similar behaviour. (And boy, is people crazy about A:N).

Thanks for an interesting find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
The most interesting about Pakistan is that it was absolutely at the top in January-December 2011.

The spikes have been explained, but the decline not.
Well, the search term here has been "board game", which is a very broad term. The decline of this term itself being used as a gateway to board game research (which is how I would understand it) could quite easily stem from two sources:
1. The overall greater awareness of board games
2. The more direct use of sources partial to board game information, be them retailers, publishers or even fora like BGG.

Overall, I think that this data does not show declining interest in board games. It actually cannot show anything in connection to interest in this field, at all. What it might show, though, is that people do not need to use the indirect term "board game" to gain information about board games, in general.

It would be interesting to contrast this with the online use of several other online sources, like BGG, several big publisher websites, and big online retailer websites...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anyone who would look up "board game" to find out more abot a game. I agree people are looking up things like "Catan" or something like that and it doesn't look like this captures that. "Board game" is the kind of thing my grandmother would google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
I don't know anyone who would look up "board game" to find out more abot a game. I agree people are looking up things like "Catan" or something like that and it doesn't look like this captures that. "Board game" is the kind of thing my grandmother would google.

I honestly have googled both board game and board games to see if I find interesting sides for the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Board%20Games%2C%20Sp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Interesting...

Ah I remember the huge booby spike of '04.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:

We're obviously all doing, erm... 'other things'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty clear the December spikes are holiday related. And I'd suggest that people who are interested in the hobby rarely google "board games". Once you get into the hobby you're more likely to visit specialty sites (like this one) or google a specific game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good comments and thoughts.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=boardgamegeek%2C%20Bo...

I decided to check on two ways to find bbg, one is rising so people are looking up bbg as one word, but not as 3 seperate ones. Might indicate that people are more familiar with the site when looking for it.

Edit: fixed the post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.