Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a hex map generator that allows for custom hex sizes and will allow me to do basic graphics in the hexes? I've googled a bit, but not found anything that suits my needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.incompetech.com/

At this site you can create several different types of lined sheets, including hex grids. And it's free!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
This might suit your needs... and then some.

http://www.dunjinni.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is probably easier to draw them "by hand" using a drawing program. No I am not kidding.

- In a drawing program set, the snap to grid option and turn it on.
- For horizontal grain hexes (i.e. those that line up in horizontal rows):
Set the horizontal spacing to 1/2 the size of the hex you want. Set the vertical spacing to 4/7 of whatever you set the horizontal spacing to.
- Each diagonal line is drawn by snapping one unit horizontally and one unit vertically.
- Each vertical line is drawn by snapping two units vertically.
- It usually best to make a piece where 3 lines meets at a point and then copy and paste it as needed across your sheet. (Most programs will duplicate objects so if you repeat the command it will copy each successive object by the same offset as the last one.)

(For vertical grain hexes--simply switch vertical for horizontal (and vice versa) throughout the description.)

These hexes are not perfect--they are less than 1% off, however. You'll never notice.

Even better you can use the drawing program to do the rest of your artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I believe the Campaign Cartographer mapping program will do hex grids.

See Here: http://www.profantasy.com/

At one time I was running a D&D campaign where I had planned to make my own maps and was looking into it for that purpose. Never quite got around to learning to use the program though and ended up just modifying some existing maps in Paint/Photoshop/PSP. But the people who made those originally did do them in CC2.

If you can figure out how to use it then it will probably do what you need. Bit of a steep learning curve to it though (at least doing it well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
- For horizontal grain hexes (i.e. those that line up in horizontal rows):
Set the horizontal spacing to 1/2 the size of the hex you want. Set the vertical spacing to 4/7 of whatever you set the horizontal spacing to.
These hexes are not perfect--they are less than 1% off, however. You'll never notice.

Richard and I have had this discussion before, but I must correct one point. Using the ratio 4/7, the error is slightly over 1%, not under. I personally prefer the pixel ratio of 15/26 which is less than a tenth of 1% off. But he's right that most people would not notice any difference. Although I doubt either of our methods would be easier than the alternate links provided here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most flexible option is your own code, if you are prepared to work a little. I use XSLT to create SVG maps for my Battle Cry scenario generator. With a little work, this could be extended to create arbitrary sized grids. You could then open the blank grid(s) in a package like Inkscape, and doodle to your heart's content!! If you decide want to pursue this route, drop me a line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Whalen
United States
Mansfield
TX - Texas
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/hexographer/fr...

Hexographer is the best. The free version comes with some really great icons but if you want to do custom graphics you will need to get the pro version. With a lifetime license costing $28.75 it is a bargin given all the work Joe has put in. You can also get a 1 year pass for $9.90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
I used mkhexgrid when I wanted a grid at a very specific size for printing. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it did what I needed it to. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/

edit: And it's free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
It is probably easier to draw them "by hand" using a drawing program.

Yes; very true. Use Inkscape, an open-source vector-graphics program, and roughly follow what rri1 said. Make sure you have nodes snap-to-grid, rather than bounding boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwhalen72 wrote:

Hexographer is the best. The free version comes with some really great icons but if you want to do custom graphics you will need to get the pro version. With a lifetime license costing $28.75 it is a bargin given all the work Joe has put in. You can also get a 1 year pass for $9.90.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
jwhalen72 wrote:

Another vote here for Hexographer. Great app, even the free version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe W
msg tools
designer
publisher
jwhalen72 wrote:

Thanks for the compliments everyone... but just to clear something up. The lifetime license was for early adopters last year. Now the "full" license is good forever for that major version, but a couple of years in the future if/when there is a new major version you'll need to buy again, albeit with a pretty good discount. (Just like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Civilization 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5, etc.) However, I have been putting out new small updates with new features that are included in the cost every month or two. That may drag out some as the software matures and requires more testing with each release but I can't wait years or even large portions of years to see people using the software!

In any case, the free version meets most peoples needs so don't let the cost scare you from seeing if it does what you want. Take a look at the site and give it a try for 10-15 minutes. I think you'll be happy you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SowelBlack wrote:
jwhalen72 wrote:

Thanks for the compliments everyone... but just to clear something up. The lifetime license was for early adopters last year. Now the "full" license is good forever for that major version, but a couple of years in the future if/when there is a new major version you'll need to buy again, albeit with a pretty good discount. (Just like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Civilization 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5, etc.) However, I have been putting out new small updates with new features that are included in the cost every month or two. That may drag out some as the software matures and requires more testing with each release but I can't wait years or even large portions of years to see people using the software!

In any case, the free version meets most peoples needs so don't let the cost scare you from seeing if it does what you want. Take a look at the site and give it a try for 10-15 minutes. I think you'll be happy you did.

Whew, lucky me "License does not expire" - think, I got one of the last lifetime licenses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe W
msg tools
designer
publisher
Scayra wrote:
Whew, lucky me "License does not expire" - think, I got one of the last lifetime licenses

It says the same thing whether you have the older "lifetime" (forever even for new major versions) or newer "full" (forever but only for version 1.xx) license.

Basically, if you bought a non-one-year license before January 15th you have a lifetime license, but if you bought a one-year license this year you will need to buy into version 2.0. However, there will be a discount, and version 2.0 is well over a year away (probably two and maybe three years out.) The text next to the ordering buttons described the license you were buying, and that was described one way or the other in the email I sent to each buyer.

(An update went out around January 15th with significant new features which is why that is the cut-off date for early adopters.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juls juls
msg tools
http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/

sir this might help you in your problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A scan of a blank hexmap (or an already digital one).

Copy a hex of that and trim (crop 3 times with a 60 degree rotation between crops to barely eliminate the edge lines) so you have "blank" terrain hex.

Create your various terrains.

Copy and paste terrain hexes onto map as needed.

Resize map if needed.

Can be done with Gimp. Free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
username_123 wrote:
http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/

sir this might help you in your problem

Dude, this thread was started *over 10 years ago* I suspect the OP has either found what they were looking for, or long given up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as a thread necro has occurred, this one is distinctly for Ogre, but may have many other uses if you want a quick map set up:

https://sites.google.com/site/robotsandeggs/home/ogremap2?pl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.