Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed what appears to be an error on the Reference Sheet. It says, under the section about Leaders, that when a leader is alone in a hex ONE die is rolled to attack him. But the rules in the Leader section and Evade section both say that the NORMAL number of dice are used in the attack.

A situation occurred in a recent game that lead to this question:
In the section about Leader evade moves, the last bullet point says that a Leader may "choose" to evade off the battlefield. If a Leader is on the last row of hexes when attacked, wouldn't this be mandatory as an evade move would have to be at least 1 hex and off the battlefield? I think that this is true, but the wording of that bullet point makes me uncertain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reference on the card is correct but unclear. It actually is a continuation of the line above, where they are describing how two dice are rolled if a unit the leader is attached to takes one or more hits. If the hits eliminate the unit, leaving the leader alone, one die is rolled instead of two.

If the leader starts alone, he must evade if attacked, and the unit rolls the appropriate number of dice in an attempt to eliminate him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying about the reference sheet, but I still think this is something that needs correcting. The rules give three cases for leader casualty checks that they title: Attached Leaders, Unit Eliminated, and Leader Alone in Hex. To use the phrase "If the leader is alone..." to refer to the second case is terribly confusing. And leaving the third case out entirely makes it worse. I wonder if it originally was all three cases and the last two got unintentionally combined during the editing process. In any case, I think this at least deserves clarification in the official FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've scanned the Reference Sheet onto card stock so that I can write extra notes on them. I've included the leader elimination note at the bottom.

Also I added a "note 2" to all infantry except the Warrior to remind me that they may make a Bonus Close Combat if the Leader is attached. I think that's an important point that should have been added.

On the whole, I think they did a very good job putting so much information in the Reference Sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had this thought while packing up the game after putting on all the labels last night.

[b]I wish I had the PC graphic arts skills to make a Roman Leader sticker that looked like Chuck Norris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Chuck Norris? Tony LoBianco looks 'way more Roman.

A comment on the reference sheet, it could use more elaboration on the Leader details. My main puzzlement is, Why didn't they include a small terrain effects chart somewhere? Thanks to the good egg who put one on BGG. Simple and complete and didn't use much ink to print. Got two on one sheet of cardstock, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, I noticed the absence of a terrain chart, too, so I scanned the page from the rules then highlighted the necessary info. It worked pretty well, only missing a couple of letters on the right hand side, and now I have the pictures of the terrain as well as the effects info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrain Effects
Take care with the Terrain Effects chart printed here. There are errors.

Let's start in the "No Battle" column, and find several errors, especially if you interpret "no battle" to mean "never any battle."

In the section on Broken Ground, it says "mounted," as though mounted do not battle in open ground.
The rules say they cannot battle ON THE TURN THEY ENTER broken ground, but can battle after that.

For Forest, the TEC says "All" for No Battle and this is completely incorrect. All the light foot units (all 4 types) and Warriors can battle on the turn they ENTER the forest, and EVERYONE can battle in a forest in later turns.

In both cases--forest and broken ground-- there is a die limit on the combat, but there CAN be combat.

Further, in the "stop" column, for forest the TEC says "Mounted, Heavy/Medium Infantry." The rules say EVERYONE must stop when they enter a hex. The folks left out of this list (meaning light foot and warriors) can move in AND battle, but they still have to stop.

So yes, it would be nice to have an easy TEC, but this one is not there yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.