GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,916 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: hidden movement recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a real sucker for hidden movement games... I pretty much pick up any that I can find, as long as they look somewhat interesting. I'm surprised this isn't considered a 'category' of games here on BGG, or on CoolStuffInc, so I can't limit a search to these games.

So, anyway, the magic question, is, am I missing any really good ones?

I already have (or already considered)...

Letters from Whitechapel
Mr. Jack (and all variants)
Scotland Yard (and versions like NY, Mr. X, etc)
Nuns on the Run
Ninja Scorpion Clan
Clue Great Museum Caper
Ghost Chase

I think I've got it covered, so, now I'm designing my own but curious if I've missed anything.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing a big one:

2 de Mayo

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Helmreich
msg tools
You're missing Fury of Dracula

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20963/fury-of-dracula
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wow... great suggestions, guys. Thanks!

LoL.... Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space... what a terrible name It actually looks really good though. Really, really good ... so I just snagged a copy from someone off the marketplace.

Fury of Dracula looks exactly like what I was looking for, although maybe a bit heavier than all the other games I have in the genre. Unfortunately it looks like it's out of print now, and it looks way overpriced in the marketplace and on ebay. I'll hold off on that one for a while.

And while 2 de Mayo doesn't really look like a hidden movement game to me ... at least not very similar to all the others on my list.. it does look like a fantastic game, and I will probably snag a copy of that one too. Not sure I will put it on my 'hidden movement shelf' with the others, but it definitely looks like I'd love have it on one of my shelves.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
pandemic with the bioterrorist expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armoured Penguin wrote:
pandemic with the bioterrorist expansion

beat me to it!
When I saw the pad from Pandemic: On the Brink, where the Bioterrorist marks their location, it immediately reminded me of the Scotland Yard pad and overlay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
I'm a real sucker for hidden movement games... I pretty much pick up any that I can find, as long as they look somewhat interesting. I'm surprised this isn't considered a 'category' of games here on BGG, or on CoolStuffInc, so I can't limit a search to these games.

So, anyway, the magic question, is, am I missing any really good ones?

I already have (or already considered)...

Letters from Whitechapel
Mr. Jack (and all variants)
Scotland Yard (and versions like NY, Mr. X, etc)
Nuns on the Run
Ninja Scorpion Clan
Clue Great Museum Caper
Ghost Chase

I think I've got it covered, so, now I'm designing my own but curious if I've missed anything.

Thanks

I may not understand what you mean by hidden movement, but Roborally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Dyer
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. We play with one of the variants where dead humans turn into aliens, to remove player elimination, and make the finish more tense for the remaining human players.

Shadows in the Forest (aka Shadows in the Woods): is targeted more for children, but every adult I've introduced to it has been mesmerized. It is far more relaxing than other hidden movement games, as you watch the candle light cast the board into areas of light and darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have to chime in and say Waldschattenspiel looks beautiful. Will have to pick that up myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyramid of Pengqueen - A kids game but it's pretty fun for a group of adults too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War

Does this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the further suggestions, everyone.

While I don't consider RoboRally a 'hidden movement' game, it is a great game... already own it.

Shadow in the Woods does look beautiful.. Of course I love the look of the Lexus edition, and don't care for the Kraul edition. Guess which one is available now. :/ I'll keep my eye out for a Lexus in the future... or maybe I'll practice my woodworking skills and make my own.

Pyramid. Wow... just the kind of thing I'd dig, especially since this also fits the bill of games to play with my kids. Ordered. thumbsup

Confusion. Hmm... thinking about it. Not sure 'checkers with hidden powers' is something what would scratch any of my itches. Will think/research more.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Although recognizable as a boardgame mechanic, I find it challenging to base a good boardgame around "hidden movement".

The only games I've played with a "hidden movement" mechanic, to my recollection, are Junta and Electronic Stratego. Electronic Stratego cheats at it because its electronic and Junta only uses its a side mechanic to thwart assassination attempts. I cannot say I've played a game based on the mechanic.

If the "hidden movement" mechanic, in its purest form, elaborated on and streamlined into gameplay for a boardgame based on it, then I think it would make for a great game.

Something "pure, elaborated on,and streamlined into gameplay" only reminds me of the Pandemic expansion. (IE using a separate copy of the gameboard to hide plays)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cptwacky wrote:
The only games I've played with a "hidden movement" mechanic, to my recollection, are Junta and Electronic Stratego.

If those are the only 2 hidden movement games you've tried, I suggest you check out some of those in my OP. I think they'll all fantastic games. (Although, I guess I wouldn't call Mr. Jack "hidden movement"... more like "hidden identity".. but still excellent.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.