Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say, for example (as was extremely close to really happening) the darkside (separatist) player has 2 cards in his hand: 1 "Hero of the Republic" (which allows you to double your region bonus), and 1 "The Dark Side" card - which allows the separatists to look through the Republic's discard pile, snag an Anakin card and play it as their own. Both are playable during step 3 of the player's turn.

If the separatist player who held the 2 cards also had control of the Outer Rim (6 army region bonus) - could he have used the "The Dark Side" card to snag the Republic version of "Hero of the Republic" (assuming it had been discarded at some earlier point) then played both creating this math equation: 6 army region bonus doubled = 12, then doubled again = 24 army region bonus?

In other words, is the doubling effect "stackable"? My experience of playing CCGs tells me yes (it also tells me that since there are 2 "The Dark side cards, that the makers were 1 "Hero of The Republic" card away from breaking the game - a 48 army region bonus would be unfathomable!)

The reason I ask is that in this version, that large number seems a little out of balance (unlike original Risk, after many sets have been turned in).

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great question that I don't have the answer to.

My gut tells me "no". You can double the printed region bonus, but no more than that. Do any other cards add to a region bonus?

So if you wanted an "official" sounding answer, then it checks the printed value on the board and allows you to double that. A subsequent card would be redundant. As you say, such large armies or reinforcements are generally unheard of in this particular version of Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may post an alternative, though, it's worth noting that the Hero of the Republic card doesn't specify that you are doubling any specific Region Bonus; it says to double YOUR region bonus.

What I interpret that to mean is it doubles your combined region bonus. And as such, if you somehow played both of these in one turn, it could indeed get ugly! Especially if the Separatist army had more than one Region under their control.

I could be wrong, though (and in some ways, I hope I am).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.