United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
IO Worlds have posted an alpha (ie, early and probably a bit rough) version of the rules on their KS page (link)

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IO Worlds
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
mattprice wrote:
IO Worlds have posted an alpha (ie, early and probably a bit rough) version of the rules on their KS page (link)

Enjoy!

Thanks Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you're looking for feedback here or what but uh... I don't see page numbers looks like page 6 in the Cache Glyph area where you are describing the glyphs of the world there's some discrepancies.

You call them Cashe Glyphs almost immediately and towards the end of that section you mention one does not have to interact with a Loot Glyph.
(I'm literally pasting it below the entire section in question)
Quote:
Cache Glyph: At Cashe Glyphs, you
can explore in an attempt to find
Artifact Cards. Artifact Cards can
hugely increase your capabilities.
Once a player has a found an
Artifact in a cache Glyph, that Glyph
is marked and no more Artifacts
can be found there and the Glyph
may no longer be Encountered. You
do not have to interact with a Loot
Glyph if you enter its hex.

I also may note it'd be nice to have somewhere in the rules a little legend or guide about the various glyph symbols. I see you have an image of the map with the various glyphs on it. With that I am 99% sure I deciphered them correctly as the icons are pretty descriptive in and of themselves, but it's always nice to make sure somehow it's not mixed up (Unless you intend on having player aids in the game).

EDIT:
Uh, I see another possible one, or maybe I'm just not understanding. In the Close Combat section you note that if you and another player are in adjacent hexes it's possible to loot or salvage your opponent's flagship if you reduce their hull to 0. Then in the Ranged Combat section you say you cannot loot or salvage a flagship that is not in the same hex as you. So the question I have is close combat a combat that takes place within the same or adjacent hexes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken, if you are a backer, you'll want to post your comments to the update:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1956069330/teramyyd-eart...

They're trying to keep rulebook suggestions contained there to make them easier to track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So potential backers can't make suggestions or ask questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Pretty sure their request to keep the comments in that one place was aimed mainly at comments on kickstarter, to keep them from getting lost in the main comment feed. This thread seems the perfect place to put your comment here on BGG. Don't worry about random forum members telling you where you can or can't post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Montag451 wrote:

You could join their forum here (http://ioworlds.com/forums/teramyyd/), although it doesn't seem well trafficked at the moment. Another strategy might be to pledge for $1 to join the project, offer your comments, and either increase your pledge if you like where the game goes, or cancel your pledge if you'd prefer. There's no penalty for joining and canceling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
My post was entirely silent concerning non-backers. Not sure why people on BGG insist on going zombie and read things that aren't written.

Sure, there's a chance that they'll see this thread and consider posts from whoever. Is it a good chance? Let me consult my magic 8-ball.

However, "if you are a backer", as I specifically said, you are far more likely to get a response and consideration by posting to the official update on this matter. [End of simple statement of fact].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxalon wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
My post was entirely silent concerning non-backers. Not sure why people on BGG insist on going zombie and read things that aren't written.

Sure, there's a chance that they'll see this thread and consider posts from whoever. Is it a good chance? Let me consult my magic 8-ball.

However, "if you are a backer", as I specifically said, you are far more likely to get a response and consideration by posting to the official update on this matter. [End of simple statement of fact].
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were saying anything about non-backers. Of course, I didn't actually say you did, I was asking about non-backers, wondering if it was intended that non-backers were not encouraged/allowed to provide feedback. That's not to say that it was the intention. Though, I didn't say it was. I asked a question. I'm sorry if you felt my question was a provocation of some sort, I assure you, it was only a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My zombie comment was towards C M, who appears to have assumed I was barking orders. That wasn't the intent. blush

I'm sure all of us are interested in any suggestions and comments anyone has regarding this game--backer or not. Wouldn't have clicked the thread otherwise.

If you can't post on the thread they're actively monitoring, this is as good a place as any--IOW's already stopped by once.

On that note, what do you think about the alpha rulebook Thomas? Seems they've been making small adjustments since it first went up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxalon wrote:
My zombie comment was towards C M, who appears to have assumed I was barking orders. That wasn't the intent. blush
Sorry, I thought all of that was aimed at me, seeing as you quoted me, not C M

In regards to the rulebook, of course in such an early state the language is rough and a bit wishy-washy. I didn't give all of it a stern read-through, but unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be a section explaining what quests are or how they work. It just says to look at the quest book for the quests. I'm not even sure the rulebook mentions how you begin a quest, and only alludes to how you go about completing a quest. And in general, lacks examples, images, and proper explanation of a lot of the terminology.

Also, it seems combat has changed since the gameplay video. In the video, you compare hits, and whichever side rolled more hits, the excess hits go through and deal damage (I got 3 hits, enemy got 2, I deal 1 damage). In the rulebook, it seems all hits you've rolled, whether you rolled more or the enemy did, both deal damage equal to the number of hits rolled.

It is nice to have something, even in such a rough shape, and even if I only have a vague idea how the game plays.

Aside from just the rules hurdle, I think my only concern at this time is that without unique abilities or effects, fighting enemies will get boring. It's just dice rolling. Enemies can't make things tricky, alter how combat unfolds, or surprise you. They're just a couple of numbers. Even the big baddie is just bigger numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Montag451 wrote:

Also, it seems combat has changed since the gameplay video. In the video, you compare hits, and whichever side rolled more hits, the excess hits go through and deal damage (I got 3 hits, enemy got 2, I deal 1 damage). In the rulebook, it seems all hits you've rolled, whether you rolled more or the enemy did, both deal damage equal to the number of hits rolled.

This is a good point, and I really wish they'd take that video down! Wa-a-ay back in the comments they noted that the combat in the video was out of date (and frankly, doesn't sound that fun!), so I do hope they get a replacement video up quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Aside from just the rules hurdle, I think my only concern at this time is that without unique abilities or effects, fighting enemies will get boring. It's just dice rolling. Enemies can't make things tricky, alter how combat unfolds, or surprise you. They're just a couple of numbers. Even the big baddie is just bigger numbers.

That's a really good question. Do enemies have any special abilities are or do they simply have different stats? I don't recall anything specific being confirmed. I only recall reading each captain will have a special ability (which might not impact combat).

Posting this question to KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulled this out of my edit, since there were new posts:

I think one of the card examples, "Aerial Transference" is a good example of many problems with the rulebook. For one, what kind of card is it? It has the anchor symbol on the bottom, which matches one of the card backs, but I don't know what card that is. The page explaining card types only shows 6 cards, but lists 9 different types. Which one is the one with the anchor? Is that a voyage card? Tactic card? Event card?

Then you look at the card itself and in big letters it says "Travel". What does that mean? Is that when you play it? There's no travel phase. Is that a sub-type of card? What does that symbol with the die and the directions mean? Then the text itself, "Move the Aeriopolis six spaces in the direction rolled. If it cannot move six spaces, choose the next available direction." So, I guess that symbol with the die is some sort of instruction to roll a die to determine direction. By what does, "next available direction" mean? If I rolled a 5, does that mean I go up one to a 6? Down one to a 4? Go with whatever closest to a 5 allows it to move? What if either direction is the same distance from 5? And what's that other symbol on the bottom?

We have the rule book, and an example card, and yet have no idea what things mean or how the card is played or how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxalon wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

That's a really good question. Do enemies have any special abilities are or do they simply have different stats? I don't recall anything specific being confirmed. I only recall reading each captain will have a special ability (which might not impact combat).

Posting this question to KS.
I do take back that last part, at the end of the rule book it does explain that the final boss has 3 special abilities. But it says each is activated during a different combat phase, but the combat rules don't seem to mention phases, it says combat is a series of rounds*.

* actually, it doesn't say that, but you can piece it together reading how combat works. It mentions rounds, but not really what a round is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Draxalon wrote:
My zombie comment was towards C M

Strange I read and directly replied to the concerns in the post I quoted and I stand by what I said as good general advice for BGG. Also at no point did I state you were "barking orders". Maybe you shouldn't read things that aren't actually written. Someone might accuse you of being a zombie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, here's what IO Worlds recently posted in reply to the question about differences in baddies.
Quote:
@Robert: The spawn have some special ability like Kobolos but minor. They can also be captured and flown along side your ship as allies if your captain has gained that ability to beguile creatures. You have to be of sufficient level to do this.

The White Sails are different stats mainly. However, they do have a ship mat that will come with them for future use.

So it sounds like the lesser critters will just have different stats, whereas the more noteworthy baddies will have some special abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess there's still a lot missing. I don't believe the rules go over allies besides the tiny blurb when describing different card types. And the enemy example card has a few symbols on it, but nothing explaining special abilities, so I assume those rules aren't in the rulebook yet.

Thanks for asking on my behalf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above comments regarding the relatively poor state of the current rules. Content aside, the font/layout are worryingly amateurish. It seems like whether the game is any good or not will very much hang on the cards and the card-play and deck-building aspects.

At first blush I prefer the (video) version of combat in which rolls are compared and the person with more hits gets their excess through, if only to avoid repeated mutual annihilation scenarios that would seem to be likely if everyone's hitting each other for a bunch of hits each round. I would worry, though, that this might result in nickle and diming 1-2 hits at a time and therefore tediously lengthy combats. I'm also trying to figure out if there would be benefits to not playing all of one's cards in the first round?

The way this might actually play just seems so, so vague right now...

Pretty bits, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Erm... alpha rules? Seems like it would have been a good idea to finalize and playtest the rules before launching the Kickstarter, no? I mean, the rules are the part that makes the bits a game, rather than just bits. They're kinda important-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata's been posted:
http://ioworlds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Teramyyd_Erra...

Edit: here's the comments from backers on these http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1956069330/teramyyd-eart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the errata actually has more pages to it than the original rule book.

There still doesn't seem to be a definition for foe or opponent. I assume foes are the enemies that you draw, and opponent is another player's captain/ship.

The dice fractioning kind of irks me. Seems like a flimsy band-aid for what should have been an obvious problem with the game balance from the beginning. Rolling 20+ dice sounds fun, but completely impractical, and seems like an inherent flaw in a very (overly?) simple combat system.

What do you guys think?

I like the idea of having allies, leveling up, customizing my ship, but I have a hard time imagining most of it will be interesting. Maybe the quests will change things up, but even the errata didn't seem to have much to say on quests. It actually brought up mini-quests a lot, but didn't explain those either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Draxalon wrote:
Sorry, I thought all of that was aimed at me, seeing as you quoted me, not C M

In regards to the rulebook, of course in such an early state the language is rough and a bit wishy-washy. I didn't give all of it a stern read-through, but unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be a section explaining what quests are or how they work. It just says to look at the quest book for the quests. I'm not even sure the rulebook mentions how you begin a quest, and only alludes to how you go about completing a quest. And in general, lacks examples, images, and proper explanation of a lot of the terminology.

It is nice to have something, even in such a rough shape, and even if I only have a vague idea how the game plays.

Actually, you have two options when in combat for dealing damage. Before any dice is rolled, you can choose to strike or guard. If you choose strike, then both sides deal damage according to how many hits were rolled. If you choose guard, then damage is calculated like what they originally had (where you compared hits). Also, if its pvp, you use the choice of whoever rolled the most hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fishminer wrote:

Actually, you have two options when in combat for dealing damage. Before any dice is rolled, you can choose to strike or guard. If you choose strike, then both sides deal damage according to how many hits were rolled. If you choose guard, then damage is calculated like what they originally had (where you compared hits). Also, if its pvp, you use the choice of whoever rolled the most hits.
That was added in the errata. In the gameplay video, basically the default rule was what they now call guard. In the first release of the rulebook, the only combat type was what is now called strike (and still the default rule).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IO Worlds
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
silverbowen wrote:
Erm... alpha rules? Seems like it would have been a good idea to finalize and playtest the rules before launching the Kickstarter, no? I mean, the rules are the part that makes the bits a game, rather than just bits. They're kinda important-ish.

We have been working on Teramyyd for 11 months now. It is still being improved and will be through the beta test period. Could we lock down the rules and send it to manufacturing, absolutely. That said, any good game, IMHO needs a lot of Beta testing. That's what makes Kickstarter an amazing thing to me, the chance for the players to help shape the production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.