Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay...

So if 2 or more players tie, we first look to find the player who won the most money during the previous "hand". What does this mean exactly?

- Is it the player who had the most winnings during that single hand?
- Or is it the player who's cumulative score was highest?

Furthermore...

- If the remaining players are still tied they examine the number of remaining gangsters in their useful pool.

Next...

If STILL tied, I suppose an additional hand to be played for ALL players (not just the tied players)?

Thx in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
If 2 or more players tie, we first look to find the player who won the most money during the previous "hand". What does this mean exactly?

- Is it the player who had the most winnings during that single hand?
- Or is it the player who's cumulative score was highest?

The first.

Remember: a "hand" is the five turns of play from the time the cards are dealt (5 each) until they are all played. There are 3-5 hands in a game.

EyeInSky wrote:
If the remaining players are still tied they examine the number of remaining gangsters in their useful pool.

This would include both "experts" (large cubes) and "occasionals" (small cubes) - they're all gangsters. I think that you would not count "experts" who are dead, in jail, or in the hospital; or "occasionals" who have been played.

EyeInSky wrote:
If STILL tied, I suppose an additional hand to be played for ALL players (not just the tied players)?

That's how I understood it. I think it's the designer saying "no tie breaker at this point - just everyone play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. Okay... so now I'm assuming what it really means is the player who earned the most money THAT round (not the previous hand). I think I got confused with "last hand" (thinking last meant previous instead of final).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
a.) it is a rare circumstance
b.) player with most small gangsters wins
c.) player with most gangsters overall wins
d.) if you have to bid first/last (e.g. are not middle seated) then you have a small advantage imho, first bidder = new york, last bidder = more information available than the others ... thus if it is still even you could count how often someone was sitting in the middle and the one sitting mid more often wins when tied
e.) it is a game, just life with the tie.
f.) play another round with the remaining gangsters if tied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
I'm assuming what it really means is the player who earned the most money THAT round (not the previous hand). I think I got confused with "last hand" (thinking last meant previous instead of final).

You are correct. It's not who had scored the most in the Hand before the last - it actually ends up being the one whose score was lowest after that next-to-last Hand.

For clarity, the rules refer to a Game, a Hand, and a Turn. No rounds.

You deal each player five cards. You go around the table, each player playing a card (and possibly gangsters); that is one Turn. After the third Turn, you expose a Police card. If that card shows the third badge of a color, this is the last Hand of the Game. Either way, you play two more Turns (for a total of five), so that all the cards have been played. You then score points, and you have completed the Hand. If this was not the last Hand, you go back to the beginning of this paragraph for another Hand.

The Police cards are such that every Game will consist of 3-5 Hands.

Before you score points for the last Hand (and you will know it's the last Hand), note how many points each player has. Then score points for that last Hand. If there is a tie at the end, check how many points each of the tied players had before the last Hand's scoring. The one who had had the least points (and who thus scored the most points in the last Hand) is the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just do an excruciating brainburning exercise to remember the amount of money last gained (to make things easier, each player is only responsible for himself).

Thanks for the info guys!

p.s. Ionas - I see nothing offensive about players that are behind on score hoping & praying for the very rare circumstance of a tie, so that it gives the opportunity for another quick round with ALL players to determine the winner. I, for one, would vote to play it that way and if the unthinkable rare thing happens AGAIN... well, it was destined to be a tie at that point (I would consider the first tie not a "tie" but more like "extended play").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.