Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: cool stuff says only got 13% of their order, think i'm hosed and now wont play it out of spite rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig West
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i got the dreaded we dont have enough copies for even our preorders email today. i think this means im getting hosed on my order. my order status on the site is still saying preorder. they said they took preorders for only 20% of their order but only got 13%. they didnt directly say they wouldnt fill my order but i think thats what it means. ive waited a long time for this game. placed my preorder like a good little customer and got the finger from the manufacturer. i tend to have a hard to get rid of bad taste in my mouth from things like this. and the sites that are jumping the price dont help. to $&!% with the whole thing. there are other games in the world waiting to be played.

maybe it'll turn out okay in the end but its not looking good right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be that guy, but whoa there. The game isn't going to vanish, and you said yourself there are other games to play. It's what I've been doing with Eclipse while waiting for this game. It'll get here eventually, keep calm and re-roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same email and I am PISSED at Z-Man!!!

After all the hype on BGG and Z-Man's Facebook page with daily teasers, to go ahead and only send 13% of the order really makes me mad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You read that email and conclude that you got the finger from Zman. I read that email and conclude that someone messed up, but there's no telling who that someone is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
You read that email and conclude that you got the finger from Zman. I read that email and conclude that someone messed up, but there's no telling who that someone is.

Yeah, Zman loves it when he couldn't meet demand and not getting the profits from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Don't get mad at the game if the suppliers fail..
Or do, but it's probably the best game of 2012 so if you're into euros at all you'll be missing out..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you're taking it a bit too personally. No one intended to hurt anyone. It's just that things don't always work out. Just crack open a beer and play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When did you preorder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
And the shift key is your friend... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crawford
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:

Actually, there is a way of telling who messed up - Z-Man could tell us. This is a big title for Z-Man and they have been hyping the release quite a bit (at least on their Facebook page). It stands to reason that they are in a good position to explain why stock was in short supply and whether they knew about the problem beforehand.

Yes, I'm angry that I won't be getting this game until "late summer" according to CSI. I'm also a little leary about pre-ordering other games from Z-Man (looking at you, Robinson Crusoe) until they explain what happened and why it won't happen again.

I understand delays in production. I understand that retailers will quickly run out of stock of hot titles. I understand that publishers will burn through print runs quickly when their games are unexpectedly popular. But, no, I don't understand how a publisher could not know in advance that just 13% of expected production would actually ship on a release date that had already been pushed back.

Z-Man - help me understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ask on their FB page?

I am not sure you should expect a representative to read this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I got my pre-order in early enough and my copy was shipped from CSI yesterday.
However, if I hadn't shipped I would have demanded a refund from CSI. I really don't like there pre-order policy of paying for it when you pre-order. Most online stores don't charge you until it ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crawford
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
Did you ask on their FB page?

I am not sure you should expect a representative to read this forum.

Yes, I did post a question on their FB page; nothing yet. I'll post here when I get a response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. There are plenty of great games available.

Just forget about it untill the game is easy to get a hold of. Maybe by then you won't care any more and they will have lost a sale. I promise someone over there is at least as pissed as you that they arnt able to sell more games due to lack of supply. They are thinking of the lost dollars they arnt getting, that they may never get once this game is no longer in the new hotness.

For me this is a good thing. I might have grabbed it, now I won't be able to before there are more reviews and people have settled down about it.

Your title kinda implies that cool stuff did something wrong or is bad somehow.
E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marximus wrote:
But, no, I don't understand how a publisher could not know in advance that just 13% of expected production would actually ship on a release date that had already been pushed back.

It sounds more like it's just CSI; I know, for example, that my FLGS had enough to fill all their pre-orders with some left over to put on the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
Marximus wrote:
But, no, I don't understand how a publisher could not know in advance that just 13% of expected production would actually ship on a release date that had already been pushed back.

It sounds more like it's just CSI; I know, for example, that my FLGS had enough to fill all their pre-orders with some left over to put on the shelf.

Well the publisher probably distributed a certain number to each vendor, or at least had a max for each vendor and your FLGS likely only asked for say 10 or 20 where CSI probably asked for hundreds. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 5k print run.

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine from CSI will be here on Saturday whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what happened to my FLGS.

They saw it was going to be available for pre-order through their distributor, which I think is Alliance exclusive. They had customers pre-order something like 7 through the store. They placed their order for 7 and Alliance told them stores were 'allocated' a particular amount and they'd only be getting three.

The owner of the FLGS had to fight and complain until they actually sent him the 7 that he ordered as they told him they'd be available for him.

So it seems that either Alliance or Z-Man allocated a particular number of copies to each store/online store.

Luckily I was able to get my copy yesterday and get it to the table.

*** out of the 7 copies he got in, at least 4 of them were either creased, dented or beat up at least a little ****
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
People need to vent sometimes. And sometimes, people should let other people vent rather than try to shut them down (be it with reason or counter-aggression) or egg them on (be it with a dismissive attitude). The spite will pass.

I, for one, think there's likely plenty of blame to go around. Sure, people make mistakes, but we're talking about a pretty massive shortfuall. Somebody should have noticed. And as Z-Man has an investment in mistakes not being maade, they should at the very least be ensuring their supplier does a head count. The shortage is only part of the problem; that it wasn't communicated is what really appears malfeasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig West
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:

Your title kinda implies that cool stuff did something wrong or is bad somehow.
E

Thanks for all the comments folks.
I ordered on april 2. So yes i understand if they were doing fifo that im low on that list.
I dont have an issue with coolstuff, and if it came off that way it was not intended.
Whoever was the manufacturer is who i have a beef with. They should have either not messed up or given notice that they were short and maybe if early enough i would have a) not been so disappointed and b) could have tried some other method to get a copy. Instead i dont have a copy that ive preordered and have little hope of getting one because i only just found out they're short. They have scr$:&ed me twice now.
Please sir may i have another.
C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Bouvot
France
Massy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel sad for problem with pre ordering and such. I did not get this game on my radar but saw plenty of copies in stores in Paris today. So I bought one because it looked cool. What failing in delivery taught me is that no matter how awesome a game is, I'll buy it when I'll find it and I will enjoy it as much as if it was on the first day of its release. Which seem that I got Lucky today...

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casezz wrote:
Whoever was the manufacturer is who i have a beef with.

Publishers have to commit to printing a game many months in advance in order to get their product in line at the factory printing the game. In the case of Terra Mystica, the publisher may have committed to the size of the print run in early January. Thus, there is no way they could completely predict the demand. And, publisher's tend to be conservative with initial print runs for 2 reasons One, if there is error/defect in initial printing, it better to have to fix 3000 copies than 15,000. Two, if the game does not sell, publisher's can be crippled by having large portions of their operating capital tied up in games that are collecting dust in warehouse.

Because of the reasons outlined above, demand exceeding supply for initial printings of hot new games is not uncommon. Pandemic, Agricola, Mage Knight, Eclipse, Tide of Iron, Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition, Tzolkien, and Star Wars X-Wing minis, all suffered similar fates. Some recent games (Eclipse and Mage Knight) even sold out their 2nd printings in short order.

Respectfully,

Robert S. Solow
CLS Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered the game last Feb 1 and got cut. Are they saying they can't fulfill 3 months worth of orders???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfpackee wrote:
I guess I got my pre-order in early enough and my copy was shipped from CSI yesterday.
However, if I hadn't shipped I would have demanded a refund from CSI. I really don't like there pre-order policy of paying for it when you pre-order. Most online stores don't charge you until it ships.

I can't think of one reputable online board game store that DOESN'T charge for pre-orders when you place the order. Which ones are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.