Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played AoS about 4 times now. Haven't won yet but lost by a point on Thursday. I'm addicted to the game. I've found, however, that I've had more fun on the Ireland map and with it's rule changes, e.g. de-urbanization. Granted we've played with 4 on the Ireland and 5/6 on the Eastern US, which has something to do with the fun of a map.

I really like Ireland. The games have been more tense and close. Why? What other maps offer close games by design? Or am I off here.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
medievalbanquet wrote:
I really like Ireland. The games have been more tense and close. Why? What other maps offer close games by design?

I also like Ireland, tho I prefer it with 3 not 4 players as I find the ability to screw other players in 4 player games so far exceeds the ability to help oneself especially in the early game, as to make the early game too random for my taste. Other maps I'd recommend as being particularly tight: Germany (my second favourite map after Ireland), China (clearly a 4 player map, 5 is too many), Japan (3 players only), and North of England (5 or 6 players, too open with 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 4 players on Ireland makes it very hard. But we like that. I was shut out of all sea lanes which we thought were real important to be able to win. Turns out I should have won but had made a minor mistake during the game. There are aspects of this game that I like with respect to 'screwing people'. Some are inadvertent while others are good defensive measures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.