Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had this game for about three years and I play it with my students frequently.

In reading the World Crokinole Championship Rules, I spotted something that I have never noticed before, that "Combination Shots" are legitimate methods of hitting the opponents puck.

We have never played that way. We have always said that your puck must hit the opponent's puck first and that if you hit your puck first, then an opposing puck, your two pucks both came off the board and the opponent's stayed.

Are we screwed up in our play, or are we playing some sort of variant?

I can see benefits of playing both ways, I suppose. There are some occasions when playing our way that a person just doesn't have a shot and they just push the puck to pass. Maybe with the combination rule, players might be willing to attempt a tough combo shot, at the risk of losing a number of their own pucks.

Our way, though, allows for attempts at hiding your puck behind your opponents, so that they are harder to shoot.

Any thoughts in this area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen several variations on how to play -- enough that I ask the "home team" what their rules are before I play, but I have not encountered your interpretation before. It would seem that your way, hiding discs would be a most important strategy, and I think the game is more fun when it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have always played that a combination shot is legal.If you hit one or more of your own discs without contacting an opponents discs then any of your discs that were contacted on that turn are removed including the disc you just shot.This has always proved to be a fun way to play and is mentioned in the set of crokinole rules i have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh...weird. I play the way Paul plays and we both learned to play Crokinole together Joe. That's odd.

I play that you MUST hit an opponents' puck first, if you miss then your puck is removed. If you hit one of your own puck(s) first, then ALL of your own pucks that were hit are removed. So yes, hide your puck is extremely important. This is especially hard in a 2-player game since you also have the pegs to contend with.

I believe this may be a tournament game at the WBC this year. It'll be interesting to see which rules they use there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the same way Joseph does. I have 2 different sets of rules, and they both say that's the way to play.

You can hit your own discs first and as long as one of your discs hits an opponents disc you're fine. If you hit your own discs but not an opponents disc, all of your discs that were touched come off the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the "you can hit anyone's disc" crowd. The other way makes hiding too powerful, and reduces the potential damage should you try for a combo off of your own disc(s) and miss, clearing the board of all of your own discs you hit.

I'm also a believer in the "free shots can go anywhere" school of thought, not those that say the free shot has to end up in the 15 ring or be removed.

And I think MEPSI dust sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never heard that free shots were removed in any case.

MESPI rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
You can hit your own discs first and as long as one of your discs hits an opponents disc you're fine. If you hit your own discs but not an opponents disc, all of your discs that were touched come off the board.

Correct. Here's the official world crokinole championship rules on this point:
Quote:
a.) As long as there are opponent discs on the playing surface, the contestant must shoot for and hit at least one. ...combination shots will be allowed. It is acceptable for the shooting disc to strike another disc (or discs) of the same colour, which then makes contact with an opposing disc.

b.) However, if during the contestant's shot an opposing disc is NOT struck, either directly or indirectly, the shooting disc is removed from the board. In addition to this, all other discs of the shooting contestant which have been touched in attempt to remove an opposing disc, are also removed from the board.

http://ca.geocities.com/worldcrokinole@rogers.com/rules.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That kind of takes the air out of it for me. I've always played that you MUST hit the opponent FIRST before hitting any of your own discs (like 9-Ball in pool) or all of your own discs hit during that turn are removed. It makes you attempt tough shots(thread the needle, ricochet off a bumper, etc).

Hmmm...maybe I'll just call that the advanced ruleset then. If you play enough, I recommend trying to play this way to make it a little tougher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.