Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Properties of Major Improvements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlad Plushchevsky
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Hi, guys.

In case I have played several MI cards with one and the same possibility, f.e. hearth and clay oven may bake bread, do their similar properties sum up? (f.e one grain gives me 5 food as per clay oven and 3 food as per hearth).
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

You can use both improvements, but you can't add up their effects on the same expended resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Plushchevsky
Ukraine
flag msg tools
oops...thanks for a sad news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot in fact bake one loaf of bread in two different ovens at the same time. Nor can one loaf of bread feed more people if you start it in one oven and finish it in the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
You cannot in fact bake one loaf of bread in two different ovens at the same time. Nor can one loaf of bread feed more people if you start it in one oven and finish it in the other.

I've tried. It gets messy. Wormholes start appearing, and those are a pain to clean up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When it comes to livestock and vegetables, about the only advantages to build more than one cooking minor/major improvement are:
- Additional VP
- Deny your opponents the opportunity to build one
- Larger yield with the new cooking improvement (although many can be built by returning the old one, so this isn't necessarily a reason to keep two)

However, there is an additional advantage to building more than one baking improvement. Many baking improvements (specifically the ovens) limit the number of grain you can convert to food with a single baking action. But if you have multiple baking improvements, you can convert several grain to food with a single baking action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
However, there is an additional advantage to building more than one baking improvement. Many baking improvements (specifically the ovens) limit the number of grain you can convert to food with a single baking action. But if you have multiple baking improvements, you can convert several grain to food with a single baking action.

And perhaps more importantly, you get a free baking action whenever you buy an oven. Which means you can use any ovens you have, including ones you already owned, to bake bread whenever you purchase a new oven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"...Which means you can use any ovens you have, including ones you already owned, to bake bread whenever you purchase a new oven..."

Hm ! That's news to me. I have always assumed the "free action on first purchase" applied ONLY to the new item .....

EDIT : Reading the card (!) I see my group has been wrong. My guess is that it's unlikely that a Player would bake twice at the same time, either due to lack of 2 or 3 grain; or b/c she/he doesn't have more than one Baking Improvement. However, both of these are possibilities.

Those ovens will be even more powerful now in our games !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Gomez
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Capn Hook wrote:
"...Which means you can use any ovens you have, including ones you already owned, to bake bread whenever you purchase a new oven..."

Hm ! That's news to me. I have always assumed the "free action on first purchase" applied ONLY to the new item .....

For me too. Any trends out there about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that "Players may bake bread as a one-time action immediately after they purchase an oven." It does not limit it to the new oven. Additionally, it has been implemented on boiteajeux.net in that manner. And everyone I've played the game with, including the person who taught me, has played it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The rules state that "Players may bake bread as a one-time action immediately after they purchase an oven." It does not limit it to the new oven. Additionally, it has been implemented on boiteajeux.net in that manner. And everyone I've played the game with, including the person who taught me, has played it that way.

This is how I read it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the above two. It's worded that you get a bake bread action when you purchase, not that you get to bake bread with it. As such it makes sense to assume it applies to all bread baking abilities (as any other bake bread action would), including improvements you already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.