7 Ages» Forums » Rules

Subject: More rookie questoins... This time naval movement... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I am on old WiF player, and have played a lot of hard-core-strategy-games, but I can’t figure out the most basic things in 7-ages. Damn... cry

1) Do you count 1 movement to move out from a costal area? Do you count 1 movement to move in from a sea zone to a costal area? Or if I put it like this: Do you use 4 movements to move from the Low Countries (Nederland) to the cost of Labrador?

2) Do you have to move out from a costal region to a sea zone if you want to move a sea unit, or can you stay next to the coast, moving from one coastal region to another (avoiding enemy sea units)?

3) Suppose I do a land invasion from Norway to Sweden, using 4 land units. In Sweden, my enemy has 1 land unit. He also has 1 sea unit in the east coast (towards the Baltic Sea). Can he use the sea unit in the battle?

4) Suppose I do an sea born invasion with 2 land units. Do the 2 navy units (who transported the land units) participate in the battle?

(7-ages is a damn good game, but I hope you add some pictures in the manual in future versions.)

//Håkan (Sweden)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Pisarik
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Do you count 1 movement to move out from a costal area? Do you count 1 movement to move in from a sea zone to a costal area? Or if I put it like this: Do you use 4 movements to move from the Low Countries (Nederland) to the cost of Labrador?

Yes, Yes, you count 1 for each sea area or coastal area a sea unit enters.

2) Do you have to move out from a costal region to a sea zone if you want to move a sea unit, or can you stay next to the coast, moving from one coastal region to another (avoiding enemy sea units)?

A sea unit can move from coastal area to coastal area as long as the coast is continuous.

3) Suppose I do a land invasion from Norway to Sweden, using 4 land units. In Sweden, my enemy has 1 land unit. He also has 1 sea unit in the east coast (towards the Baltic Sea). Can he use the sea unit in the battle?

No only units in the area can fight. The sea unit would have to be in Sweden to fight.

4) Suppose I do an sea born invasion with 2 land units. Do the 2 navy units (who transported the land units) participate in the battle?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for a quick answer!!

1) So if the sea unit is located in Sweden (not out on mission in the Baltic Sea), it does participate in the land battle?

I have a small follow-up question:

2) In the rules it says that “Naval counters may only be set-up in a coastal land area”. If the coastal land area is divided by two (as Crete is divided by the Central- and Eastern Mediterranean), do you place them in one of those costal areas? (I suppose the answer is yes).

Mr. Håkan

(Jonas - I will win on Saturday!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Pisarik
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) So if the sea unit is located in Sweden (not out on mission in the Baltic Sea), it does participate in the land battle?

Yes

Quote:

I have a small follow-up question:

2) In the rules it says that “Naval counters may only be set-up in a coastal land area”. If the coastal land area is divided by two (as Crete is divided by the Central- and Eastern Mediterranean), do you place them in one of those costal areas? (I suppose the answer is yes).

You set up in a coastal area. From there you can move to any sea area that the coastal area touches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
So if you move a Ship-of-the-Line from the coast of Egypt to the coast of Morocco (W. Mediterranean), you may actually start your next movement in Cape Verde Basin instead of W. Mediterranean? More logic would be that you start your next movement from the same coast that you ended your last (in this case North East Morocco).

Or did you refer to when you build (set-up) units?

//Håkan

[q="Balinor"]
Quote:
You set up in a coastal area. From there you can move to any sea area that the coastal area touches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hakanlarsson wrote:
So if you move a Ship-of-the-Line from the coast of Egypt to the coast of Morocco (W. Mediterranean), you may actually start your next movement in Cape Verde Basin instead of W. Mediterranean? More logic would be that you start your next movement from the same coast that you ended your last (in this case North East Morocco).

Or did you refer to when you build (set-up) units?

//Håkan

When you set up units and the coast lines are not contiguous, i.e. Palava, you must specify which coast the ship is on. For Morocco, the coastline is contiguous, so a naval unit there may move to either West. Med, Pillars of Hercules or Cape Verde Basin. (same situation with Carthage and Central vs Western Med ; Iceland allows movement to 3 areas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, thanx.

Do you folks play with any house rules, or do you think that the original rules are OK? (After an evening with my friends, we usually have more hose-rules than original rules. You should se our "advanced" rules to A&A and WiR!! laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
As with all ADG games there are house rules! And some do get adopted by Harry as official changes later. There are quite a few in the forums, just read through.

Good gaming,

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, I will look around!

BTW: I am new on this forum, but it seems so great. I found very helpful print-outs that summarises many small rules, which you so easily forget in the excitement. And to be able asking basic questions like how to move the fleet, and getting answers the very same day from Canada and the US ... wow ... that is quite bizarre, when you think about it.

And above everything ... I saw that HE – the mighty designer himself - also answers some questions from simple foot solders like you and me... Oh, dio mio!

On Saturday I and four other gentlemen will have our first serous 7-A-battle. The beer is already in the fridge, and my wife has promised to organize a constant supply of food and outer necessities.

Can barely wait!

//Håkan

Yohan wrote:
As with all ADG games there are house rules! And some do get adopted by Harry as official changes later. There are quite a few in the forums, just read through.

Good gaming,

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
Good luck with the game this weekend.

We expect an AAR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Happy to help Hakan and welcome aboard.

Regards
Harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
A very short report:

Five players. 10 hours of play, 5 ages passed.

I am grown up with games that takes 40-50 hours to play, and I enjoyed the game. However, I must admit that I was quite tired in my head, explaining all the small rules all the time. Also the gamers with some experience in Civilization liked the game. However, one didn’t. He expected a simpler and quicker game. We might try to simplify and speed up the game when he is around, taking away artifacts, religion and government – but then again, we might also just replace him. After all, he is a WoW-player, and WoW seems to trash your mind.

What I like with the game is the dynamics; the raise and fall of empires. At one time I got so frustrated when a friend played out a card, killing a huge stack of Mongol cavalry. I was about to strangle him (I am not kidding). However, I simply discarded the empire, and started up Spain. And suddenly I had forgotten all about the butchered Mongol cavalry. (Later I got my revenge on my so-called-friend, charging his Syrian empire with some fanatic Arabs.)

At first I was skeptic towards the battle system. I was planning to steal the "odds table" from WiR or Third Reich, but yesterday I totally changed my mind. The battle system is great! It so exiting not knowing exactly who you stand against and try to win against a much bigger enemy stack, sacrificing some infantry, but creating disorder among the enemy troop. With some luck, and some skill, I managed to destroy the much stronger Syrians with my Arabs.

To make a long story short: It's a great game. All but one liked it, but then again, he plays WoW...

//Håkan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
My first House Rules ;-)
My first House Rules:
I noticed that Sweden gain glory from ships. That is very flattering, but Sweden has never had a strong navy. The Danes, Dutch and British always smashed it when it grew too big. And why gain glory from colonies? Sweden never had any.

On the specials for Sweden, initial ships cost is put to 3. It would be more historical to have +1 to front line value of Rifles in age 4 and 5 instead*. (Between 1611 and 1718 Sweden had, from time to time, the strongest and drilled army in the world.)

Here are my house rules on the Swedes game card:
1) Instead of collecting glory from ships, you gain glory from infantry.
2) Instead of collecting glory from "colonies", you gain 3 glories from "land and sea areas" in Europe (instead of 2).
3) Special: +1 to front line value of Rifles in age 4 and 5. (Deleting "Initial ships cost 3").

Regards,
Håkan Larsson, Suéde

* or/and +1 to support value of Cannons in age 4 and 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
We all have thoughts about our homeland

I was happy to see an optional Canada card developed and am waiting for Harry to adopt it for release 2.

Harry? Harry....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hehe... Yeah, it's good for Harry that we are around then! Perhaps we could assist him making version II a little bit more historically accurate. Canada and Sweden should be black and veeery strong nations, don’t ya' think? ;-)

mr. Larsson

PS A friend noted that Sweden actually had some colonies outside Europe; A very small settlement on the Delaware River - that the evil Dutch took from us - and some small possessions in the Caribbean and on the African west coast. You learn something new every day... DS

Yohan wrote:
We all have thoughts about our homeland

I was happy to see an optional Canada card developed and am waiting for Harry to adopt it for release 2.

Harry? Harry....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Our main house rules, apart from dispensing with some intricated and unessential (we think)rules (nukes, elite markers), are made to avoid strokes or fate :

1) replace the choice-of-starting-rank procedure (which could cost you several cards) with the following one :
Everybody announces the sum of its card numbers, and lowest total goes first.

2) 2+ unit commitment per round (official optional rule, accelerates things a little, too).

3) in age 4+, your starting fleets may be placed in empty sea (not ocean) areas adjacent to your country. Else, several empires (Dutch, Spanish) would be too weak.

4) we tried 'take that !' but didn't find it necessary. I guess some players would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Our main house rules, apart from dispensing with some intricated and unessential (we think)rules (nukes, elite markers), are made to avoid strokes or fate :

1) replace the choice-of-starting-rank procedure (which could cost you several cards) with the following one :
Everybody announces the sum of its card numbers, and lowest total goes first.

2) 2+ unit commitment per round (official optional rule, accelerates things a little, too).

3) in age 4+, your starting fleets may be placed in empty sea (not ocean) areas adjacent to your country. Else, several empires (Dutch, Spanish) would be too weak.

4) we tried 'take that !' but didn't find it necessary. I guess some players would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
We also simplified up the initial determination-who-to-start-rule, but in the future we will use your House Rule nr 1. Good thinking.

An interesting point on “take that”. After a slaughter of 95% of the Roman army by a volcano in the Alps, no one dares standing with a stack of solders in the mountains. Hence, you can never draw any use of the defending modification in mountains. And after the defeat of the Japan army (a flood card was played and then followed up with a card killing all solders in disordered territories) no one dares standing next to a river. And after my horses got the fever in Mongol, no one will ever stack horses again. This is just too bizarre to accept for an old war gamer like me (people who like card games like Munchkin might disagree).

To correct this, I have suggested that you "only" may destroy half of the units, rounded up, in one region at the same time with a card.

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
hakanlarsson wrote:
We also simplified up the initial determination-who-to-start-rule, but in the future we will use your House Rule nr 1. Good thinking.

An interesting point on “take that”. After a slaughter of 95% of the Roman army by a volcano in the Alps, no one dares standing with a stack of solders in the mountains. Hence, you can never draw any use of the defending modification in mountains. And after the defeat of the Japan army (a flood card was played and then followed up with a card killing all solders in disordered territories) no one dares standing next to a river. And after my horses got the fever in Mongol, no one will ever stack horses again. This is just too bizarre to accept for an old war gamer like me (people who like card games like Munchkin might disagree).

To correct this, I have suggested that you "only" may destroy half of the units, rounded up, in one region at the same time with a card.

Comments?

Hmm, very interesting. I think I like it and will propose it to our group and post feedback. I think 50% is good. We have also decided that if you play a new empire that converts one of your own then you only receive 50% of the converted units to avoid superpowers. You still convert 100% of someone elses though!

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Your house rule to avoid superpowers seems ok. We will adopt it.

//Larsson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, this is how we will do when a volcano, tsunami, fewer etc. hits a stack:

You roll one dice (D6) per unit*.
1-4 = The unit is destroyed
5-6 = The unit survived

(The unit is kept hidden due to fog-of-war, but the dice roll is open.)

//Håkan

Yohan wrote:

Hmm, very interesting. I think I like it and will propose it to our group and post feedback. I think 50% is good.
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guess what; today 7 ages became the most popular board game on this famous Swedish site, where you may buy board games for reasonable prices.

http://www.worldofboardgames.com/webshop-boardgame.php?page=...

7 ages has climbed a lot during the past 30 days. Guess who has written a greeeeeeat review?! cool

Mr Larsson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.