BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Game(s) of the Day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Harper
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
It would be nice to have some of the more obscure games have a chance to be discussed.

If we had a list of "games of the day" viewers could click on. They should be randomly generated, and maybe a classification for types:

Board game of the day
Card game of the day
Role playing game of the day
Miniature game of the day
War game of the day

It could spur discussions about long forgotten loves, or highlight a game someone may like but never heard of.

Could put it at the bottom of the hotness list. Can only be GotD once in a calender year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helznicht wrote:
Can only be GotD once in a calender year.

How about once ever? There are 64,000 games in the database. There are over 8,000 ranked games. There are about 1,000 new releases per year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
curtc wrote:
There are about 1,000 2500-3500 new releases per year.

Inclusive of all expansions, about that many items per year for calendar years 2010, 2011, 2012.

Even excluding all "Expansion for Base Game" items for 2012, it's still a list of over 2000 items. I did an Advanced Search on 2012, with "Expansion for Base Game" excluded and sorted by name. The search will only display 1000 results (10 pages of 100 each) and the first alphabetical group went from (Your Name Here) and the Argonauts to Heroica: Ilrion and a reverse sort went from Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas to 謎解きバトルTORE!宝探しアドベンチャー 魔宮攻略GAME. If I were more versed in statistics, I could probably figure out approximately how many items are in that gap, but that's 2000 of them.

One more fun note -- the BGG database grows by about 7500 to 8000 items per year, so while 3500 of them might be from this year, we're still pulling 4000+ from previous years every year. That also means the database, even in this year, will grow by over 10%. It grew by ~20% in 2007 at the 30K milestone, and but the ratio of amount of entries over the volume of the existing database has slowly been decreasing to it's current rate of ~11.5%. I estimate we will hit 65,000 in about two-to-three weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harper
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for the comments. I just didn't realize how big the database was.

Also, thanks for the link to Voyage on the Rolling Seas. I just didn't like the theme of Roborally, but this looks like it has similar gameplay, plays faster, and with a theme I like (Pirates). I will definitely be checking it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have your own Game of the Day by going to Browse > Random Game. Maybe even make a geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
One more fun note -- the BGG database grows by about 7500 to 8000 items per year

Which is about 20 a day. Even if we just focused on new items for a game of the day, it would only cover about 5%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Helznicht wrote:
They should be randomly generated,

Then I suspect a large number of them would thus be very obscure mediocre games which would not generate very interesting discussion... (Try Browse | Random Game yourself a few times to see.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Helznicht wrote:
They should be randomly generated,

Then I suspect a large number of them would thus be very obscure mediocre games which would not generate very interesting discussion... (Try Browse | Random Game yourself a few times to see.)

Maybe make it random ranked game of the day. Which should still be enough for new games forever (ranked games grows by more than 365 per year). Of course 90% of those are still wildly obscure to the vast majority of users. So maybe you generate a random gameid like NumRankedGames*rnd(1)^1.5, giving a slight bias for lower ranked games. And don't even bother with whether a game ever gets chosen more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.