Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
17.0 states "The game ends when the stated number of Months for that Scenario (18.0) have been completed."

Am I right to read this that as soon as both players pass during the final month, the game is over? More specifically, there is no final supply check at the end of the game, because that would occur during the next month's buildup phase? Therefore, it's conceivable that during the final month I could envelop the enemy, cutting a huge portion of his army off from supply, but they'll still be on-board (out of supply) at game end for victory point purposes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See the note at the bottom of the p. 15 sidebar: "Units that are still Unsupplied when a Month of play ends are eliminated and removed from play." (It would be nice if that were mentioned in 17.0 or 18.0, though--that took a while to find.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
kuhrusty wrote:
See the note at the bottom of the p. 15 sidebar: "Units that are still Unsupplied when a Month of play ends are eliminated and removed from play." (It would be nice if that were mentioned in 17.0 or 18.0, though--that took a while to find.)

When I read this I took it to mean "...are eliminiated and removed from play [in the following build-up phase]". Eliminating unsupplied units is mentioned in the section on Build-up, so it seems strange to list a separate check at month's end unless it was referring to the supply check in Build-up.

I would play it so that unsupplied units at the end of the game remain on the board, since there is no build-up after the last month of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that that's a reasonable interpretation, but there's also 11.0, which says "Units can remain Disrupted indefinitely, but are eliminated if Unsupplied (12.1) at the end of a month." (Not "at the start of a month" or "in the next build-up phase" etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested as to how the earlier version's rules explain this, but I agree with Rusty that unsupplied units should be eliminated at the end of the month, including the end of the game. Columbia even fixed a typo in that page 15 footnoote betwen 1.0 and 1.01 of the new rulebook, but kept the text.

The point of counting units for victory is to determine who would be the more likely winner should the game/war be played out until utter defeat. Especially with the shorter scenarios, it is not as if both sides just gave up the war at that point. Should the game continue into the month following the scenario's end, all of those unsupplied units would be gone. Thus, I strongly feel the intent is that any unsupplied units at game's end should be eliminated from the final count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rule 1.02 is somewhat contradictory about the elimination of unsupplied units :-

(A) Elimination at the end of a month
11.0 Disruption wrote:
Units can remain Disrupted indefinitely, but are eliminated if Unsupplied (12.1) at the end of a month.

Pg. 15 -> sidebar -> last para. wrote:
Units that are still Unsupplied when a Month of play ends are eliminated and removed from play.

(B) Elimination at Buildup
12.7 Supply Checks -> Buildup Supply Check -> 3rd bullet pt wrote:
Eliminate any Unsupplied units.

16.2 Supply Check -> 3rd bullet pt wrote:
Eliminate any Unsupplied units.

Considering solely the logic of the rule, I will cast my vote to (B) Elimination at Buildup. Here's my reason:
If unsupplied units are eliminated at the end of a month, there would be no such unit left during the Buildup and so both bullet points stated in 12.7 and 16.2 are just redundant.

But, taking game-play into consideration, I think it is nonsense if:
- You are behind on the unit count and you use your last Supply Card to cut the supply of all enemy units;
- Your opponent has no Supply Card to save his units and all of them go Disrupted at the end of his turn;
- You don't have any Supply Card left to Rout his Disrupted units;
- Game ends and his unsupplied units stay;
- Your opponent wins an Attrition Victory (or even a Decisive Victory!).

So, I would recommend the following variant:
There is an "End-of-Game Supply Check" at the end of the last Month of a Scenario to eliminate all Unsupplied units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule that unsupplied units at the end of a game should be eliminated (which they would be at the beginning of the next month should play continue) before Victory determination.

Seems totally in line with the game's logic to me.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.