Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some friends who have played Settlers and Bohnanza have charged me with finding them a good two-person game to take camping. They have a tent trailer. They are both Ph.D's, but Settlers took two games to sink in (as it did for me), so I'm not sure how heavy the game should be. My default choice is Lost Cities, but San Juan sounds like a possibility, or maybe Jambo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive and any of the GIPF games would hold up well camping too. Leave the box(es) at home in favor of Ziploc bags of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions for two-player camping games:

1) Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation - If they're fans of the LOTR, then this game is easy to learn, very portable, and really enjoyable.

2) Travel Blokus - As long as you're careful not to lose any of the pieces, some of which are small (but then again are very brightly colored so wouldn't exactly blend in with nature) then this game would work great. The rules can be taught in about 10 seconds, but the gameplay is very interesting, and gets better with every play as you appreciate the different uses for each of the unique 21 shapes. You can try this one online to see what it's like (http://www.blokus.com/index.htm).

3) Lost Cities - As you said, this is the first thing that comes to mind, and would probably work great.

4) San Juan - Heavier than Lost Cities, but just as portable, and with all that time to kill, they'll probably get it eventually.

5) YINSH - This would probably work, as long as you could find a small flat surface, and it really is an outstanding abstract game that isn't too difficult to learn. Try it on BSW (http://www.brettspielwelt.de/) to see what it's like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities strikes me as way too high risk -- we found it really boring and while we're in the minority, I know we're not alone. Having only one bad card game on a camping trip strikes me as dire.

Fjords might be an interesting choice -- portable and with two distinct phases. Hive and YINSH also struck me as good recommendations. Roma is turning out to have lots of immediate replay value for us (which strikes me as a good thing on a trip like this), but I'm not sure whether it's a game I would have appreciated a year or two ago when I was new to Eurogames. Depends on how they'd respond to having to learn a bunch of unique character cards. If you're fairly certain they'll like Travel Blokus, that's another game that people seem to want to play multiple times in a row. Personally, if I know I was going to play a game multiple times in a row, I'd go for Samurai although my husband might argue for Crazy Chicken (where psyching out your opponent is a big part of the game so lots of iterations with the same opponent can be fun).

Fun question -- let us know what you decide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Battle Line: Lost Cities sans goofy scoring

Through the Desert: Go-like game with scores of plastic camels to lose on the trip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation was first thing that occurred to me too: portable, quick to play and easy to grasp. Also has some depth should they want to go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are two of the games we take camping:

Silent Death and Memoir '44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Battle Line. My girlfriend and I played it last week and both loved it. You can just take the cards and little battle markers in a ziploc back and not worry about the box.

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper is also a nice one with just cards. Fun if you like rummy-like games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frederick
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Memoir '44 is great for camping! Easy setup and cleanup is a must!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "Al Cabohne", which is a 2 player game in the Bohnanaza series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Cumference
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools

Here is all the equipment you need to play Can't Stop. This would go great near a campfire with a little bottle of cognac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second most of the ones already mentioned. You might have 'em try Roma. I just recently got that one and it's been pretty addictive; my favorite 2-player game right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pool
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this Geeklist. We played a bunch of two-person games on a kayak camping trip, and they all had to fit on the Thermarest!

Tour de Tent
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=16...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome replies, thank you! She has increased her orders to two games, so this should be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also this product:

"While away those lazy camp hours with the Therm-a-Rest Game Sleeve. Just slip it over your camping mattress to create a checkers, chess, mancala and backgammon board! The Game Sleeve includes: 1 silk-screened game sleeve, 1 set of embossed checker/chess pieces and 2 dice.

Weight: 5oz/142g
Size: 20.5x18.5in/52x47cm (in use)
Size: 5x5in/13x13cm (stored)"

REI used to sell them but I think other places sell them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.