Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this should be ChitChat, but I've seen the ChitChat equivalent in other forums and I won't set foot in there.

I am trying to put a star map up on my daughter's ceiling. To do this right, though, I need to find a star chart done by arcs (20 or 30 degrees, doesn't matter to me). Then I can print them on transparencies, form them into a dome and project that onto the ceiling so it can be accurate in proportions. (Not arc-second accurate, but I think that can be forgiven with glow-in-the-dark stars.)

Alas, my Google skills are massively sub-par and I can't find anything close to what I need. So I figure... "You folks are a learned lot... any of you have what I'm looking for?"

Let the dogpile for bringing this here commence. It'll be worth it if I can get that one person who knows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of google, you could install google sky map and use your phone to point to locations in the sky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Fake it until you make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Speaking of google, you could install google sky map and use your phone to point to locations in the sky.

First, I need something I can print. Gotta print it so I can project it onto the ceiling.

Second, I don't have a cellphone*.

* Okay, I have a cellphone, but it's about 6 years old and I only have that because bundling with my wife's cell is cheaper than a landline. But it hardly ever leaves the house with me. If someone needs to get hold of me, those someones will know where I am and how to do the hold-getting. Everyone else can wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Step 1: Buy iPad.
Step 2: Download a decent astronomy app.
Step 3: From a fixed point near the floor in the center of the room, aim the iPad at a star you want to mark. Place a laser pointer on the back of the iPad, and have a confederate put up a star in the spot the pointer hits. Repeat until you run out of stars.
Step 4: Download Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

First, I need something I can print. Gotta print it so I can project it onto the ceiling.

* Okay, I have a cellphone, but it's about 6 years old and I only have that because bundling with my wife's cell is cheaper than a landline. But it hardly ever leaves the house with me. If someone needs to get hold of me, those someones will know where I am and how to do the hold-getting. Everyone else can wait.

Tell us more about life in the 20th century!

Here's my solution: Go outside, wait until night, take a picture of the sky, take the film to the photo booth, wait 4 days, pick up your pictures, discard the ones of your thumb, go to kinkos and have them blow one of them up to 10'x10', paste it to the ceiling of your kid's room, explain to her why daddy can use a computer but doesn't own a cellphone.

In RSP, Chit Chat f*cks you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Tell us more about life in the 20th century!

Here's my solution: Go outside, wait until night, take a picture of the sky, take the film to the photo booth, wait 4 days, pick up your pictures, discard the ones of your thumb, go to kinkos and have them blow one of them up to 10'x10', paste it to the ceiling of your kid's room, explain to her why daddy can use a computer but doesn't own a cellphone.

In RSP, Chit Chat f*cks you!

I thought of that, but that only gets half the sky. I guess I could try doing it tonight and come back six months later and get the other half?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait how do you have a daughter and not have a tablet? How old is she anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I do not recommend using a real-time star map unless you're very fast marking positions, on account of the Earth's rotation:

Mapping a hemispherical celestial vault onto a flat ceiling is, as you know, tricky. The iPhone polar projection method suggested above will tend to spread the stars out too thin near the corners of the room; I think you'll want to shrink the map there to keep the density of bright stars uniform. Unfortunately, the only way I can think of to actually do that in a realistic way is to use the iPhone method from just above the event horizon of a black hole, which will gravity warp the star field as intended. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.stellarium.org

You can take pictures of the screen once you get a layout you like. If you hook your projector up to your computer you might even be able to directly beam the image onto the ceiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

You can take pictures of the screen once you get a layout you like. If you hook your projector up to your computer you might even be able to directly beam the image onto the ceiling.

This would be my suggestion. We got an awesome dinosaur mural painted onto my daughter's wall some years back, by getting something good on a computer then using a projector to put it exactly where we wanted it on the wall, then setting to with the paint.

EDIT: This does need you to have access to a projector you can borrow. There's another advantage to being Christian, right there, since most churches have them these days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah the joy of being in RSP:

Eternal life and access to a Projector - tempting!

If you're not a Christian get in touch with Dicky Dawkins.
(we could go further but lets not )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:

This would be my suggestion. We got an awesome dinosaur mural painted onto my daughter's wall some years back, by getting something good on a computer then using a projector to put it exactly where we wanted it on the wall, then setting to with the paint.

EDIT: This does need you to have access to a projector you can borrow. There's another advantage to being Christian, right there, since most churches have them these days...

Oh, you have to drag in the creationist dinosaur and human nonsense into this thread? What is this, RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why is it you need so precise a map on a kids bedroom ceiling?

she isnt going to be late for kindergarten because she was up all night calculating stellar parallax is she?

i did the same thing but i used a bag of .99 glow in the dark stars and a GIS of the night sky in this hemisphere

took 1 hour, told my wife it took 4, spent $2 and my kids know what the major constellations are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
What about just getting one of these babies, or equivalent:
http://www.amazon.com/Homestar-Aurora-Black-Japan-Imports/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:

Because I have really crappy spacial conception. If I tried it with anything except projection, it would look... bad. Daughter may dream of Cthulhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Thank you muchly.

See? I knew there was a reason I asked this place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put in a big skylight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
qzhdad wrote:

Yeah, because that always works out well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

Yeah, because that always works out well.

That you! That thread is gold. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

Because I have really crappy spacial conception. If I tried it with anything except projection, it would look... bad. Daughter may dream of Cthulhu.

im not seeing the problem here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I thought of that, but that only gets half the sky. I guess I could try doing it tonight and come back six months later and get the other half?

You're on a website that's international in nature. Hit chit chat, and ask people to take pictures of the sky from around the globe and put them in their personal galleries. Then you can use one of the many apps that let you "stitch together" different pictures by lining up the stars. If you get enough respondents and do a bit of rotating here, cropping there, you may even cover stars that aren't visible in the northern hemisphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.