Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We started up Mare Nostrum again, with me playing Babylon as that was the only country I hadn't played before. Everyone else had played before, except for Brendan, who played Carthage. I explained to Brendan why he should trade 3, and he then traded 4, fair enough. No one bought a god, and Egypt (played by Alex) went first in the political phase, building a caravan in Cyrenae and influence over the slaves to the south. He said Carthage should go next. I urged Carthage to build troops and attack the defenceless Cyrenae, but the other players persuaded him to build a Trireme and an Influence (in the Gems province). The others opened fairly normal, Greece getting a marketplace. I had failed to get 6 distinct commodities, so built a caravan and a trireme and placed influence in the Gold province. Brendan marched his troops into the desert south of Carthage. Carthage now had a choice between Rome and Atlantis as Commerce Director, and he chose Atlantis. Calvin (playing Atlantis) traded small and most of us set about building marketplaces and temples.

I made peace with both my neighbours. By the next turn the Caravans had run out, so I built a city and fortress in Troy and a marketplace in the Gold province. Shaun (Rome) had also built a marketplace and Calvin had picked up his first Leader in Helen of Troy. John (Greece) had built two centaurs, which he placed in an undefended Egypt, but on being reminded he couldn't convert an enemy capital, he switched to the (by now) defended Cyrenae, losing a Centaur for the Fortress and converting.

I was tied with Shaun for High Priest and Commercial Director. Calvin gave me Commerce Director and gave Shaun High Priest. In the next turn Shaun chose Athena and I chose Vulcan, and then Shaun bought Agamemnon, Calvin buying Circe. Shaun now threatened to win the game by taking 3 roles, so I destroyed his carravan and rebuilt it in Troy, and built a marketplace in Antioch. Shaun could use Athena for either High Priest or Commerce Director, and he chose High Priest. This was as close as he ever came to winning the game.

In the next turn I traded enough to buy Moses and Athena (Shaun had bought Vulcan). Greece swelled and bought Adonis, while Carthage bought Spartacus. I took the High Priest and retained Director of Commerce despite being hit by Vulcan. Now I played a waiting game, trading low and using Vulcan carefully. A couple of Temples cemented my position as High Priest. In the outer world, Greece was attacked by Carthage at his capital, and lost Cyrenae to a resurgent Egypt. Atlantis was being hindered by Vulcan, which forced his legions into camel-herding. The Roman military machine lurched towards Greece. Then it lurched back again as Carthage swirched from Greece to Southern Italy: and part of it seized Massilia from Atlantis, who took an african province from Carthage. I had managed to get caravans on 9 different commodities, as well as 5 markets, and 5 tax revenue from 3 cities and 2 temples, so the following turn I bought Midas, Greece buyin the Colossus The other players had noticed, so Egypt attacked Cypru, but I used Midas and took no losses. Brendan's roving forces landed in Troy and were victorious, but he chose to convert. Rome landed in Greece.

I now had the chance to win by cashing 2 sets of 9 in one turn, something I had never seen happen. I needed two more commodities. So I traded 3, putting up all my Tax. Unfortunately, this was enough for Egypt to amass 13 Tax. I had my 2 sets of 9, but Egypt was clearly the winner (as he almost always is if he can get to a draw, since he should win Political Director...)

An interesting and exciting game, but a little marred by being the 4th Egyptian victory in the 7 games I have played so far. I do hope this is an anomaly- in this game of course Carthage was inexperienced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first line of paragraph 3 should read 'Calvin gave me Commercial Director and John (Greece) gave Shaun High Priest'

I could have employed a different strategy on the last turn: By planning to buy Imhotep and then a Wonder, I would have reduced the number of Commodity Cards needed for my win. Hence, I could have traded 1 (or 2), and maybe Egypt would not have got a set of 13. The strategy falls apart though, because Egypt need only buy Imhotep himself and the win is prevented, and now I am in deep trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.